Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 993 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I voiced a complaint in another thread that my tank overflows everytime I fill up the Jeep. Apparently this is a very common problem and Chrysler refuses to do a recall. ChicagoRod was kind enough to post a link to formally submit a complaint to the Defects and Recalls for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. The videos below are also from him.

I'm asking that all who have this issue to clink on the link below and fill out the form. Many of us know they only look at repeat complaints so we need a lot of complaints for this issue, not just a few of us. For those with accounts on other Jeep sites if you could please create a thread there to get the word out to as many Jeep owners as possible. This thread has also been created on WAVJC.org.

Thanks all, and please post if you created another thread or filled out the form. I'm sick of dumping fuel everytime I fill up and refuse to pay Chrysler for another defective tank! There's multiple threads on this issue and it's time we act instead of *****. If anyone knows of another way to get the government to look into this issue please let us know...

SUBMIT COMPLAINT HERE

(Skip to the last 20 seconds of the videos... They're not edited) :D

or?
or in a new JK?

·
Registered
903 Posts
Mine does that too, and its a 99. It only does it every 6th or 7th fill up...

·
Registered
28 Posts
My 06 LJ has done this since I owned it. Stock, with a lift, doesn't seem to matter. After awhile I just stopped filling it all the way up and that works for me, but I'll submit a complaint to help you guys out.

·
Registered
524 Posts
mine used to do it all the time, but stopped. I use fuel system cleaner every 2 months or so. Even if I'm not running the TJ that much (not my DD anymore). And I seem to let the tank get very very low before each fill up usually. I've heard the problem was due to air pockets in the tank. Well whatever it is it stopped for me.

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
Mine never did it until after it was heavily modified. I'm sure it was my own fault. Once I re-located the filler neck it started happening.

·
I Like to Camp
8,459 Posts
My '06 TJ started to do this about two years ago and it's fairly stock. I'll submit a complaint.... Thanks for the link!

It is amazing that a modern vehicle would do this, even the JK!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Never had this happen on any vehicle I've owned. Then again, I don't leave it unattended while fueling, am aware roughly how many gallons I will be putting in and put the last gallon or two in by hand so I can control the pump and "LET GO" when I hear the tank is full. I thought this is how everyone did it. My 7 Year old has it mastered....

·
Registered
782 Posts
I'm glad I already submitted my complaint since the first two videos are my Jeep, no BL by the way. Sorry I don't own editing software and made some of you sit through some nasty weather. There are more videos on YouTube of Jeeps with this problem, there is even a Durango (same tank?).

It's pretty funny how when I fill up at Costco (2nd video) since the gas is expelled upwards, into the air and wind, I have to hide from that corner of the Jeep or least stand up-wind. I stood around the back early on and the wind grabbed the gas, carried it around and covered me head to toe. It made for an interesting rest of day at work, let's just say I was left alone.

·
Registered
67 Posts
This is an interesting problem, given how gas pumps work. I haven't experienced this issue, but I've only had to fill it up twice so far. I'll have to take a look at the design of the filler neck because once the tank is full and blocks the neck, the mechanism in the pump will sense that and shut off. Seems perhaps if the neck was fairly short then yes, I would expect overflow to occur on occasion depending on how fast the fuel was flowing.

1 - 20 of 993 Posts