Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get my rig back on the road? I figured out the crazy vibration was caused by a failed harmonic balancer and pulled it off for replacement. Problem is, the key that keeps it from spinning is halfway sheered off as well. There is limited space obviously, does anyone know how I could remove the remnants of what's left wo removing the whole front end of the jeep? It's an AMC 360 from a wagoner. Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1995 ZJ, 1997 ZJ, 1998 ZJ
338 Posts
How stuck are the pieces? You could try a magnet and a pick.

Reactions: pedal2themetai

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Time to use the eyes in your finger tips, and as OFF GRID suggests a magnet & pic, add a small punch, small hammer, mirror, and needle nose vise grips.

Use the punch & hammer.....gently.....with punch up at 12 o'clock on face of the key....to try and get it loose in the key seat.

Your punch will only be just slightly longer than contact to the key, and just past the face of the crank, so you have enough room to tap it with your very small hammer.....given available space where you will be working!

If you can get it to move up just a little on outboard end, you might be able to grab it with needle nose vice grips and pull it out.

If you have that outboard end up just a hair, you might get the small punch under it, then gently drive the punch under the key, while holding the key with the vice grips.

A small flat screwdriver would work good too, to drive under the key, as the wedge shape will slowly lift the key up as it is driven under.

Very carefully you should be able to extract the key without needing to disassemble everything.

Good luck :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts