Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 208 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a picture of a jeep with a "H2 Recovery Vehicle" sticker on the windshield, and I started wondering, which has more offroad capablity, if both were bone stock? It would be interesting to see a battle between the two, obviously with the money you would save from buy a TJ you could do some serious modifications to it. Just curious to here what you all think.

·
Retired Staff
72,461 Posts
The H2 uses a Chevy Tahoe chassis and is thus, in my opinion, really no more capable offroad than a Tahoe is. Too many incidents of Wranglers spanking H2s, I doubt anyone but an ardent H2 fan would think an H2 is capable of doing much serious offroading.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Jerry Bransford said:
The H2 uses a Chevy Tahoe chassis and is thus, in my opinion, really no more capable offroad than a Tahoe is. Too many incidents of Wranglers spanking H2s, I doubt anyone but an ardent H2 fan would think an H2 is capable of doing much serious offroading.
oh so true jerry w/out going into to much detail the wheelbase and overall size make it a very poor offroad performer. just look at what adding 10 inches of wheelbase has done to the unlimiteds. while still a very capable offroad performer those that have them will tell you it is easier to get them hung up. now imagine an h2? no contest in my opinion. Bently

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea that's what I thought I didn't think something that long could go many places, unless it had a huge lift.

·
tubework is cool...
7,381 Posts
bently said:
...just look at what adding 10 inches of wheelbase has done to the unlimiteds. while still a very capable offroad performer those that have them will tell you it is easier to get them hung up. now imagine an h2? no contest in my opinion. Bently
actually...every Unlimited I've ever wheeled with will spank a comparably equipped standard TJ...

Greg

·
Banned
500 Posts
The 2 major problems with the H2 is articulation and demographics
lets not argue about moded vehicles, you could mod a eldorado to out run anything with enuff money and engineering
it does not have the ability to go up and over things the stock tj has
most owners of H2s buy them not to offroad, and find that they do not want to destroy a 47 g vehicle on the rocks.
I beleive when the H2s start selling used for 10 grand we will start seeing a lot of modded ones running the trails

·
Banned
259 Posts
It's actually kinda funny that this came up... The new H2 commercials featuring the Hummer employee discount shows the H2 doing some mad off-roading.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know that's the funny thing I mean, H2 owners will probably never take there ride offroad, and yet every commercial you see shows them speeding through some field, or mud, or something. And as for the Wrangler, well, I can't remember the last time I saw a commercial for a wrangler. That's weird.

·
Banned
2 Posts
Jerry Bransford said:
I believe the TJs share the same chasis as the Liberty.

Been a Jeep owner for 7 years and I can tell you hands down. There is a reason I upgraded to an H2. Pure capability.

I've lived the best of both worlds. Can never downgrade to a Jeep. It's a great vehicle for chicks and mall running. But thats's it.

H2 is way above the Jeep's class. Mabye a fairer comparison is Jeep vs. Kia Sorentos or Hyundai Santa Fes

·
Banned
2 Posts
BTW,

Last time we were in Moab, we did Lion's Back, Escalator, Potato Salad, Hell's,

WHILE THE MODIFIED JEEPS sat and watched from the parking lots and bypasses.

Short wheel base not recommended. Let alone stock.....Unless it's an Hummer.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
MZH29 said:
I know that's the funny thing I mean, H2 owners will probably never take there ride offroad, and yet every commercial you see shows them speeding through some field, or mud, or something. And as for the Wrangler, well, I can't remember the last time I saw a commercial for a wrangler. That's weird.
I see comercials with jeeps, out posed on a rock and stuff like that, funny thing is most people won't take those offroad either. :dunno:

·
Registered
317 Posts
The Difference is the marketing for the H2 is to make it look like the big offroading tank. When its just a status symbol thats made the be comfortable. I would love to have one as a tow vehicle or to cruise to the cabin with the snowboards. That would be nice.

Also, the H2's have weak tie rods. They break over medium sized rocks...

·
King of Macastan
6,207 Posts
DennisAJC said:

Been a Jeep owner for 7 years and I can tell you hands down. There is a reason I upgraded to an H2. Pure capability.

I've lived the best of both worlds. Can never downgrade to a Jeep. It's a great vehicle for chicks and mall running. But thats's it.

H2 is way above the Jeep's class. Mabye a fairer comparison is Jeep vs. Kia Sorentos or Hyundai Santa Fes
I am pretty sure that the TJ used a LADDER FRAME whilst the Liberty used UNIBODY construction. What was that, hmmm seems abit muffled, here, try pulling your head outt your arse and go back to your H2 forum and leave us in peace! If I wanted an H2 (I would hope some of the faithful would shoot me first) I would buy a TAHOE, chop the top so I have some crappy visibility, put on about 600lbs of bling, some FAKE CTIS and put the rest of the savings into some mods to make my TAHOE/H2 actually worth some thing. I think you should go back to your boyfreinds at the Hummer site and then try to post this crap at www.ppirate4x4.com.com You think you're a flamer now....

For the difference in price, ah hell you've got a hard enough time trying to hide the fact you ride in a short yellow bus, I'll leave you alone.

·
Forum God
3,827 Posts
DennisAJC said:

has to be a random troll, no one can be this dumb :rolleyes:

edit: yeah his post history shows hes just trolling hardcore for h2s, seems almost comical

good luck with your mental retardation sir :thumbsup:

·
Retired Staff
72,461 Posts
DennisAJC said:
If you're trolling, we can excuse that as pure ignorance. If you're not, the unibody-based Liberty with IFS shares literally nothing in common with the body-on-frame TJ with solid (non-IFS) front and rear axles. Otherwise, that was a pretty typically uneducated comment from an H2 enthusiast who really doesn't know much about either his H2 or the Jeep. I've yet to meet an H2 driver that knew anything even about his H2's suspension, let alone the significant differences and offroad capability differences between his vehicle and a Jeep. The H2 driver's I've met really, no kidding, think a dirt road or fire road is truly offroading... they have no concept what kinds of trails Jeeps take without thinking.

·
Registered
14,872 Posts
I like the H2 better than the H1. I wouldn't by either one for an off-road vehicle, although the H1 is great off-road in many situtations. The only reason I would buy a vechicle that big is for comfort and towing. The H1 can tow but the ride sucks.

·
Banned
500 Posts
if you really want to see what a H2 can do, jump over to a H2 forum. there will be post about "where are mild off road trails in ,,," or "How to use a hilift" and postings about Posh Off road schools where you can wheel during the day on their "Private Off Road Course with instructor in Vehicle" and get a spa pedicure manicure or mud bath after a gruelling 3 hour course".
I am not joking
Like I said earlier it is demographics.
One more thought, if the H2 really was the ultimate off road vehicle then why
1 do they get more post on how to put bling on the thing than about wheeling
2 do you see 75 jeeps offroad to every H2 going up a mountain road just to park at a resort
3 do you hardley ever see H2s on the trails

I have a good friend who owns a H2, he and his wife run "Fire Roads" and have a blast. More power to them, at least they are "Offroad". He jumps in the jeep and rides shotgun with me about 3 times a year and is amazed at where we go.

Actually getting people who can afford a 50 g vehicle to go limited offroad is cool, they start enjoying the outdoors and put their vote behind Pro Access legislation. we already have to many Greenies trying to shut down our public lands. We should embrace the entire offroad comunity and unite for our rights to use the outdoors

·
Registered
6 Posts
Photo Opportunity

I saw a brand new yellow H2 being towed at Gorman, CA. Wish I took a picture so that I could post it. Probably tried to take it on a Jeep trail.

·
Registered
231 Posts
bently said:
oh so true jerry w/out going into to much detail the wheelbase and overall size make it a very poor offroad performer. just look at what adding 10 inches of wheelbase has done to the unlimiteds. while still a very capable offroad performer those that have them will tell you it is easier to get them hung up. now imagine an h2? no contest in my opinion. Bently
Personally, I've eased over MANY obstacles that SWB Jeeps in front of me struggled with. With only 10 months of real offroading experience, I can assure you it's not the driver making the difference. And I don't have lockers yet either. As best as my little brain can figure, that extra wheelbase helps with most obstacles. Even in the desert washs, I've yet to run into a situation where the extra wheelbase has hurt.

Also, I've never EVER seen an H2 off pavement. I've seen a couple dirty ones that were probably offroad recently, but never confirmed with my own eyes.

1 - 20 of 208 Posts