Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Griffen Combo radiator/ fan, relay or factory wiring?

2043 11
I just bit the bullet and installed a Griffen Combo radiator in my 2000 WJ 4.0. Should I just power the aftermarket fan with the factory fan circuit or install a relay? Thoughts?
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
JKS/ RC SA/ Bilstein/ Addcos/ JK rims
2,263 Posts
I’ve had a Griffin Radiator in my Fox body Mustang for 25yrs. I always use distilled water and antifreeze concentrate and there’s no sign of any corrosion etc at all after this long. Good purchase.

· Registered
977 Posts
screw the factory relay. (leave it hooked up, but don't connect it to any fan) get a new power source, and run a stand alone relay. solder your terminals, and run some large gauge wires (10 gauge strand). get a decent ground as well. stay far, far away from the factory garbage.

· Registered
2,263 Posts
One thing I’ve learned about Jeep’s are you can count on the factory wiring / electrical system to fail badly sooner or later. Mechanically they seem quite good but man did they cut corners on electron delivery.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I really needed to move my WJ so I hooked up the new assembly to the existing factory wiring and took it for a short test drive. It all works great while in motion but while sitting, starts getting hot. Very hot. The fan is turning on but obviously not moving enough air to keep it cool. While replacing the rad/fan, I replaced the water pump with a FlowKooler unit as well as the thermostat, and all new 50/50 antifreeze. I was concerned that the factory system might vary electron flow to adjust fan speed, adding variables to the equation. My opinion (generally) is that if the fan needs to be on, it should be full speed. I am in the process of investing enough in my WJ to have bought a very nice Rubicon but it has been in the family for a long time and has sentimental value. My 2 year old grandson has already claimed it as his, making it a four generation WJ when he gets it. I installed a 3" IRO premium lift with fully adjustable control arms, all new front end component/hubs, front shift, Bilsteins. THANKS KOLAK FOR THE ADVICE!!. RUNS AND DRIVES GREAT! It is solid but no where near as harsh as factory. No vibration. Added cutout flares, 33" tires on 17" wheels and Corbeau heated seats cause "if mama ain't happy, nobody's happy". I also installed a Trail Ready front bumper and Smittybilt 10k winch.. So far I am very happy. It did very well at Moab this past spring but sprung a rad leak aftet i got home so I figured I would invest in some premium cooling. Next planned to replace the 300,000 mile motor, trans, transfer case. Would like to add lockers afterwards. Like I said, could have just bought a Rubicon but everyone has one of them, these days!

I will break away from the factory system and install separate relay for fan control. I need to get it cooling properly for next spring, back in Moab!

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: after the installation of the Griffin combo, FlowKooler pump and Thermostat, I immediately started having cooling issues. I removed the Thermostat with no improvement. During steady speeds, the temp would rise to the point I would get a trans overheat warning. I even replaced the pump with a standard Gates unit because what could possibly be wrong with a $1400.00 radiator? To make a very lengthy story short, I removed the Griffin "shroud" and Spal fan and reinstalled the factory shroud and electrical fan onto the Griffin radiator and the cooling problems immediately went away. I believe the Griffin fan installation significantly blocked the airflow across the radiator.

· Registered
2,263 Posts
Holy crap $1400 isn’t chump change. What SPAL fan did you chose? The best one I’ve used so far is their dual fan for ~$500.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The $1400 was for the entire Griffin rad/fan combo. I didn't price the rad separately but you're probably real close on the delta cost. The spal fan mounts on an aluminum plate and I believe the design restricts the flow. Haven't had a chance to contact Griffin but plan to.

· Mopar Nut
625 Posts
I removed the Griffin "shroud" and Spal fan and reinstalled the factory shroud
I did this on a 2005 3.7L (WK). Not Griffin, some el-cheap-o Amazon radiator and a simple fan with a controller. Same as Nkmaynard, rising temps and then a trans overtemp. Since the fan was part of the shroud, it was removed with the old fan and a weird "half" shroud came with the new fan. Fortunately I hadn't ditched the old parts yet, and I ended up hacking the fan off the OEM shroud, chopping the half shroud off the new fan, and reinstalling the OEM shroud. Was probably all shroud, but I used the factory hook up vs the supplied controller after that anyway. No issues after that, that is until some useless waste of human space totaled it in a hit and run...

· Registered
2,263 Posts
This is the best one I've ever used.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/spu-ix-30102130

Pee-ricey for sure but it handled a 375hp Mustang in bad stop and go summer congested daily commute traffic with ac in FL and lasted me a good 17yrs. I replaced it with a $100 Rock Auto contour fan and got what I paid for… 8-(

Saving up for a new SPAL eventually.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I used the Be Cool combo with dual Spal fans from Summit on my 1972 Corvette and had no problems at all. When I saw the Griffin combo, I was sold because not a lot available for the WJ. I wanted a set up that I would never have to worry about while crawling around the summer desert. I never would have thought the overheating headache I was to experience could have possibly been related to that combo but it is now very evident it was. I was so disappointed removing the Spal and may try to install in the factory shroud instead of the flat Griffin plate but the factory electric fan works great now, especially since I added the clutched mechanical. I am tired of messing with the whole thing and will leave it for now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.