Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2003 Rubicon, with a manual trans. I just want to make sure I understand the vehicle before I make a mistake.

So when I am in 2H and want to go to 4H, it says you can **** on the fly, does this mean you don't even have to take it out of gear, just depress the clutch and pull the lever into 4H? Likewise the manual says to shift into 4L, it's best to do so at 2-3 mph, the manual does not make the rest clear. Can I get the jeep moving in 1st gear, 4H, depress the clutch and shift into 4L with the gearbox is still in 1st gear, or must the gear box be also put in neutral.?

Thank you

·
Registered
999 Posts
Shift into low when completely stopped. Your shifting a "gear" so you may need to backward for a foot or so to get into gear. You can shift into 4H at speeds below I would say 45mph. (I'm sure the owners manual is different.) Keep the trans in gear and shift into 4H.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shift into low when completely stopped. Your shifting a "gear" so you may need to backward for a foot or so to get into gear. You can shift into 4H at speeds below I would say 45mph. (I'm sure the owners manual is different.) Keep the trans in gear and shift into 4H.
Thanks, the manual actually says it will be harder to get into 4L completely stopped, and advise 2-3mph??
But either way, is clutch in sufficient for 4L or must the transmission be in neutral?

·
Registered
999 Posts
Good, then your moving the gears when shifting. You will get the feel of that no prob. BTW, Change all the oils. Gear case too.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Sometimes mine will shift into 4LO when completely stopped and that is my preference. But if it doesn't go... The very slightest of forward rolls if what I aim for.

To answer your question if you're rolling I don't think it matters if you're in neutral or just clutch-depressed in gear...

30,000 original miles on a TJ? Nice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts