Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Grandpa's original 1976 CJ-7

15294 Views 178 Replies 33 Participants Last post by  RyanPartridge
I've always wanted a Jeep. Specifically, a white Jeep. I figured this is due to my early childhood memories of my grandfather taking me for rides exploring the Mohave desert of Arizona in his CJ-7. He purchased the Jeep new and used it strictly in AZ for launching his boat and hunting in the desert. My grandfather passed away several years ago but his old Jeep has remained, parked in his garage.
I just got word that his Jeep will be coming home to live with me for its next life of adventures.

I'm currently in the middle of a move from SoCal to central AZ, otherwise I'd be hauling a trailer this very moment to pick it up. Most likely I'll be heading out to get it in the next few weeks. I'm beyond excited to freshen it up and get it going. I'll likely be using the vast wisdom on this forum to learn while working out any bugs/issues it has from years of being parked(although I believe a neighbor has started the Jeep on occasion to keep it running).

Here's a photo of me in the Jeep as kid...and a few current pics I was sent of it parked today...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 179 Posts

· Registered
11,033 Posts
I believe the first picture is an accurate depiction of you sitting in the Jeep today:laugh2:.

Bone stock and loaded with all the goodies.

A great way to keep your grandfathers memory alive.

· Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe the first picture is an accurate depiction of you sitting in the Jeep today:laugh2:.

Bone stock and loaded with all the goodies.

A great way to keep your grandfathers memory alive.
I appreciate the kind words!
Yeah looks mostly stock, maybe he added that rear bumper and AC at some point?
Seats got recovered...
I won't know what else until I get my eyes and paws on it, but it does look fairly unmolested.
He wasn't big on doing major mods or anything he saw as unnecessary to his vehicles.

· Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice Jeep, Leave it just as is, new belts and hoses, change all the fluids,
new set of tires, wash and wax, clip a pic of Grampa on the dash and enjoy!
Thanks, those are my exact thoughts.

Although I did already source some vintage era-correct Arizona license plates with 1976 stickers. :grin2:

· Registered
920 Posts
Thanks, those are my exact thoughts.

Although I did already source some vintage era-correct Arizona license plates with 1976 stickers. :grin2:
That's very cool,

I see a mount on the bumper for a 102" whip and mic clip inside,
maybe replace the mast and find a period CB

Useful and how it was back in the day.:cool:

· Premium Member
3,082 Posts
Nice Jeep & story. Keep the pictures and storyline flowing. There are some expert CJ folk on this forum, that’s why I’m here, to learn from the experts.

I Just watched a video on YouTube that was talking about how rare that rear bumper is, end caps especially, but it might have been related to being rare on a CJ-8. Either way it looks OEM to me...but I’m no expert.

I’m looking forward to more on the story of that Jeep...congrats on having it passed down to you.

Reactions: RyanPartridge

· Premium Member
2011 Jeep JKU
12,036 Posts
Thanks Hoss!
The Jeep is just outside Bullhead City but I'll be bringing it to the Payson area.
Beautiful area! Used to have family in Scottsdale, and a buddy in Fountain Hills. Would leave SD on the Harley, hit FH for lunch then head out north on the beeline highway for a lovely day ride!

Hoss

· Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's very cool,

I see a mount on the bumper for a 102" whip and mic clip inside,
maybe replace the mast and find a period CB

Useful and how it was back in the day.:cool:
I plan to! He would go out quail hunting and use the CB to communicate with my grandma back home.

Nice Jeep & story. Keep the pictures and storyline flowing. There are some expert CJ folk on this forum, that's why I'm here, to learn from the experts.

I Just watched a video on YouTube that was talking about how rare that rear bumper is, end caps especially, but it might have been related to being rare on a CJ-8. Either way it looks OEM to me...but I'm no expert.

I'm looking forward to more on the story of that Jeep...congrats on having it passed down to you.
Thanks man! Will do!
Yeah I noticed that the bumper seems to fit kinda perfect.
I'll definitely keep the thread updated with photos once I get out there. I also have a ton of old family photos of the Jeep back in the day.

· Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Beautiful area! Used to have family in Scottsdale, and a buddy in Fountain Hills. Would leave SD on the Harley, hit FH for lunch then head out north on the beeline highway for a lovely day ride!

Hoss
Awesome! Yeah we love AZ. We spend a lot of time in Parker on the river, but my wife doesn't care for the thought of living in the desert heat. We fell in love with the higher elevations of the state and started looking for property out there some months back.
I'm hauling the first load out there Sunday, our new home is on 2 acres backing the national forest just off the Beeline Hwy. We're happy to be leaving CA and looking forward to the new scenery. Being able to have my grandfather's old Jeep with us out there is going to make it all that much better.

· Registered
920 Posts
Awesome! Yeah we love AZ. We spend a lot of time in Parker on the river, but my wife doesn't care for the thought of living in the desert heat. We fell in love with the higher elevations of the state and started looking for property out there some months back.
I'm hauling the first load out there Sunday, our new home is on 2 acres backing the national forest just off the Beeline Hwy. We're happy to be leaving CA and looking forward to the new scenery. Being able to have my grandfather's old Jeep with us out there is going to make it all that much better.
I spent 6 years living in the desert near Barstow, when there was alot more open land, I loved it.
I was born and raised in CA, we left Santa Barbara about a year ago for southern Idaho
and are so glad we did. CA has some great stuff, but there are so many reasons to GTFO.
Miles and miles of trail to explore here in Idaho.

· Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I spent 6 years living in the desert near Barstow, when there was alot more open land, I loved it.
I was born and raised in CA, we left Santa Barbara about a year ago for southern Idaho
and are so glad we did. CA has some great stuff, but there are so many reasons to GTFO.
Miles and miles of trail to explore here in Idaho.
I've got a lot of buddies up in Santa Barbara. Idaho was on our list as well, but we don't know anyone out there and liked the idea of still being around 7 hours drive from family in CA. If the AZ mountains ever fail us...Idaho will be likely be our final refuge.

· Registered
211 Posts
We live down in Goodyear, originally came from the High Desert, Apple Valley specifically. Spent a ton of time, when I was young, wheeling around Barstow, Big Bear, High Desert, etc, in the very Jeep I have now. Dad bought it new in '83.

Have yet to really get out and Jeep in Arizona, but look forward to getting more active soon.

1 - 20 of 179 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.