Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

· Registered
325 Posts
I know, I did read the sticky. It says the 5.7 is tuned for 89 and can run fine on 87, however, I was reviewing the manual and it says recommended for optimum preformance to use 91 octane.

So I was just wondering what everyone is using for their 5.7? I was planning on filling up with 87, I just wanted to be certian that this will not effect the engine in anyway.

Thank You,
We run either 87 or 91 in our HEMI, mainly 87 through and 91 every other fuel up or so. 89 is not readily available around here just 85,87 and 91 and sometimes you can find 89...

· Registered
560 Posts
I operate just fine on a balony sandwich but will operate at maximum performance eating steak. I use 89 octane in my 5.7l cause it's recommended. Saying it's OK to use 87 is not good enough for me. It's your Jeep feed it what you like, I feed mine what the Jeep likes.
HT

· Registered
988 Posts
Trying to find a thread on the fuel injectors for a 3.6L..

Wondering about how to clean them or service them when I change the oil cooler since I have the lower out.

Looks like they are around $46 each for new ones? :unsure:

Cheapo fleabay ones?

· Registered
233 Posts
I know all of the Vette guys use Homepage to buy their gas as the additives and everything is controlled more at these stations.

No, all of us "Vette" guys are not in lockstep on any issue. I used 87 grade in my '98 Corvette almost exclusively without a hitch because it never saw a demanding load. It would also achieve near 30mpg with said fuel. All car manufacturers are a poor source of advisement in many areas...proven.

· Registered
690 Posts
The manual for the ‘98 Vette I previously owned “recommended“ 93 octane, but my Z06 and CTS-V manuals and fuel door stickers say 93 is required and to use anything less is for temporarily and emergency use only with no aggressive driving. Bottom line: it’s best to follow the manufacturer’s recommendations for octane requirements. Jeep does a great job in their manuals specifying that although 89 is recommended for the HEMI, any Top Tier 87 octane fuel is fine for either engine and “the use of premium is not recommended as it adds no additional benefit for either engine.”

· Registered
233 Posts
Yes, by all means trust in these manufacturers...the same ones pushing these 0W20 oils for gas engines with zero mechanical reasoning. They do this to improve their CART numbers and nothing else.

Btw, the ecm in Corvettes contain alternative timing tables that are used when lower octane fuel is detected. No harm, but performance will be degraded and possibly a slight decrease in mpg.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts