Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's time for a new cap and rotor. I'd like to drive to one spot and be sure I'm going to get a cap and rotor with brass, not aluminum, contacts. Any suggestions? Thank you.

·
Retired Staff
2004 Jeep Wrangler
72,573 Posts
No specific brand recommendation here. I just ask the counter guy for a couple of their best caps and rotors to choose from and then open their boxes to see what the contacts are made from. When I find a cap and rotor made with brass contacts, I go for it. :)

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AFAIK, NAPA, AutoZone, and Advance all have caps and rotors with aluminum contacts. I will try the Pep Boys. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe NAPA will have one.... Their online store shows 3 from which to choose....

Advance has them online, too.

Hmm. Maybe not as rare as I thought.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Got 'em at NAPA. They had to order the rotor, but it came in at noon. Out to change them now. Curious to see how the old stuff looks...

With 30K, the old contacts were pretty burnt. I had a cap and rotor with brass contacts in there, but I can't remember where I got it. It also took me three tries to get the firing order right today. Duh.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I did a quick search but would like to hear if anyone has a personal experiences no hear say, about the firepower complete ignition system upgrade ( coil cap rotor wires and plugs). I'm just curious because I'm due for a tune up and just doing some research.tia

·
Retired Staff
2004 Jeep Wrangler
72,573 Posts
I did a quick search but would like to hear if anyone has a personal experiences no hear say, about the firepower complete ignition system upgrade ( coil cap rotor wires and plugs). I'm just curious because I'm due for a tune up and just doing some research.tia
Complete kits like that are usually WAY WAY WAY (!!) overpriced for what you get. You're paying strictly for convenience, not any added performance benefit. Cool names like "Firepower" just serve to help it to sound like it adds performance which such kits don't. You can piece it together for far less $$$ and get the same performance. :)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Thanks Jerry, what pieces do u recommend for the complete ignition tune up with premium parts. Tia:cheers2:

·
Registered
403 Posts
I just replaced my cap rotor and wires I got BWD (Borg & Warner) from O'Reilly's they where brass and the wires where there select brand (whatever that means) and it did make mine easier to start and run smoother especially on damp days.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.