Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,280 Posts
I didn’t forensically reread the post.

Really the only thing that puts any liquid gasoline in the manifold enough that it could be “pooling” is a leaky injector; an over-rich condition or severely retarded timing leaves fuel burning on exhaust valve opening which makes the manifold glow in the dark. liquid in the manifold is certainly over rich.

This high temp fuel burn outside the cylinder destroys/melts the catalytic medium in the cat and then chunks can plug the cat and or send chunks downstream to plug the muffler. Which interestingly enough a plugged exhaust can also make the exhaust system glow or run hot.

I’d be looking at replacing all the injectors and unbolt the exhaust and verify that it is obstruction free.

Reactions: Boojo35

·
Premium Member
4,372 Posts
I do not agree that a glowing exhaust is normal. Not at all.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I didn’t forensically reread the post.

Really the only thing that puts any liquid gasoline in the manifold enough that it could be “pooling” is a leaky injector; an over-rich condition or severely retarded timing leaves fuel burning on exhaust valve opening which makes the manifold glow in the dark. liquid in the manifold is certainly over rich.

This high temp fuel burn outside the cylinder destroys/melts the catalytic medium in the cat and then chunks can plug the cat and or send chunks downstream to plug the muffler. Which interestingly enough a plugged exhaust can also make the exhaust system glow or run hot.

I’d be looking at replacing all the injectors and unbolt the exhaust and verify that it is obstruction free.
Thanks for the comment. There is no cat and the exhaust is brand new to the muffler, and the muffler is only a few years old. I have put my old injectors back in to check the leaking issue. (Which is obnoxious because I just got the some new 4 hole injectors.) Unfortunately it was quite late and I like my neighbors so I didn't have a chance to really turn it over much.

·
Premium Member
10,280 Posts
quite late and I like my neighbors so I didn't have a chance to really turn it over much
You should actually run and drive it, not just turn it over. Duplicate the conditions that created the fuel pool in the manifold. Just cranking it might not do the evidentiary discovery.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
You should actually run and drive it, not just turn it over. Duplicate the conditions that created the fuel pool in the manifold. Just cranking it might not do the evidentiary discovery.
Yes agreed. It is idling a little rough right now too so I'm going to make sure it can make it for a drive first. Just haven't gotten to it yet.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts