Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Gladiator vs Tacoma

6621 Views 27 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  winnex3
So I’m a Jeep guy who has been waiting for about 15 years for the Gladiator concept to come to life. I’ve test driven it! Love it! Ordered all the catalogs from Jeep. So, in three years I’m pulling the trigger and going to get my first pickup. I’m a planner... and so looking ahead and doing my homework, I’m blown away at how expensive a Gladiator is.

IMHO, when it comes down to it, you’ve got two pickups that are beautifully designed, offer manual transmission, and rank well in the reviews - Tacoma and Gladiator.

When I spec out the Tacoma with the TRD Off-Road Package and all the other goodies I want, I max out at $38k. I imagine, I can get them down with discounts to $35k based on COSTCO deal and what I’ve read. On the other hand, if I go the Gladiator route, I base model it and put a few simple things like rubber floor mats, hardtop, lockable storage package, and a tow hitch... I’m looking at $41k!!! Even if I get them down $3k, that is $3k more for a whole lot of loss in options.

$41k! I mean, no power seats, hand crank windows, no Apple Car Play, no bed liner, half the size of an infotainment screen, no LED lights... huh? I love Jeep but I work hard for my money.

I already have my CJ7 and am wondering whether I should trailer it with a Tacoma and become a split Toyota/Jeep guy.

Thoughts? Am I looking at this right? How do you guys afford these expensive trucks? Yikes. I might be cheap. I just don’t want to spend more than $35k. Interested in getting the feedback on how you all made your decision.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
565 Posts
I’m a Jeep guy as well, but if I were in the market for a mid-size truck to either build or use as a dd, it would most likely be a Tacoma. In addition to the pricing you mention, I just can’t make myself like the look of the Gladiator. I think if they stretched the wheel base a little more so there’d be less bed sticking out behind the rear tires it would look better. But even then, it just doesn’t look right to me. I think the JKUs with a Brute conversion look better.

· Registered
142 Posts
I leased my Overland JT (with extras bringing it to about $50K). $9K down and it's about $380/month, 15K miles/year on a 39 month lease. Also, when leasing, the sales tax is paid monthly instead of coming up with an additional $3K at purchase (PA is 6%). I fully intend to buy it outright at the end of the lease.

· Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting. Yeah, I have only seen three in my medium size city over the last year. Let's just say I see way more Teslas in Alabama. Our dealer has about 15 or so Gladiators on the lot. All are built above $45k. I think they sold a lot to those that initially wanted the Gladiator but those were too few and the price tag doesn't help. Yesterday I drove by and saw they were marked down about $2k. Maybe a holiday sale but I suspect end of January you could see these negotiated down 4-5k. I just saw this article:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/amp30307895/fca-dealers-inventories-dodge-chrysler-ram/

I think you go in and low ball at the end of a January. Walk out when they say no. Do this at a few dealers. If they don't call you back go pick up a Tacoma.

I work for an automotive supplier. Sales slowed big time at the end of the year. Just

· Registered
193 Posts
Alabamacj71981.....you have waited 15 years for the JT and now you are going to wait 3 more years to actually make your purchase - you are definitely a planner and a very patient person.

Good luck with whatever you decide to purchase.

· Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok. Went to the dealerships and looked at both vehicles yesterday. Seat comfort and leg room in rear made Tacoma a “no-go”.

Gladiators were reduced $3000. Interesting point is that there is a lot of leg room in the back, the seats are comfortable but the roll cage is low for rear seat and the sound bar is imposing for rear passengers.

I will go with the Gladiator but will get a base model and need to talk them down. IMHO the Gladiator should come with more options for the price.

· Registered
1,593 Posts
I was going to buy a F150. You think your 38k is sticker shock!

I ended up with Gladiator and I like the damn thing more and more every day! I've owned a bunch of Jeeps and I was really hesitant until I test drove one. The creature comforts are awesome. My back doesn't hurt anymore when driving (used to own an Expedition). It absolutely has the fun factor.

I agree with others that they look somewhat hideous without some lift and bigger tires. It doesn't take a whole lot to make them look better that's for sure.

One last note, you will feel buyers remorse when you see a gladiator on the road with no top or doors on while you're stuck in your Tacoma...:grin2:

Attachments

· Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was going to buy a F150. You think your 38k is sticker shock!

I ended up with Gladiator and I like the damn thing more and more every day! I've owned a bunch of Jeeps and I was really hesitant until I test drove one. The creature comforts are awesome. My back doesn't hurt anymore when driving (used to own an Expedition). It absolutely has the fun factor.

I agree with others that they look somewhat hideous without some lift and bigger tires. It doesn't take a whole lot to make them look better that's for sure.

One last note, you will feel buyers remorse when you see a gladiator on the road with no top or doors on while you're stuck in your Tacoma.../forum/images/JeepForum_2016/smilies/tango_face_grin.png
Agreed. Your JT looks awesome.

· Registered
3,744 Posts
So I'm a Jeep guy who has been waiting for about 15 years for the Gladiator concept to come to life. I've test driven it! Love it! Ordered all the catalogs from Jeep. So, in three years I'm pulling the trigger and going to get my first pickup. I'm a planner... and so looking ahead and doing my homework, I'm blown away at how expensive a Gladiator is.

IMHO, when it comes down to it, you've got two pickups that are beautifully designed, offer manual transmission, and rank well in the reviews - Tacoma and Gladiator.

When I spec out the Tacoma with the TRD Off-Road Package and all the other goodies I want, I max out at $38k. I imagine, I can get them down with discounts to $35k based on COSTCO deal and what I've read. On the other hand, if I go the Gladiator route, I base model it and put a few simple things like rubber floor mats, hardtop, lockable storage package, and a tow hitch... I'm looking at $41k!!! Even if I get them down $3k, that is $3k more for a whole lot of loss in options.

$41k! I mean, no power seats, hand crank windows, no Apple Car Play, no bed liner, half the size of an infotainment screen, no LED lights... huh? I love Jeep but I work hard for my money.

I already have my CJ7 and am wondering whether I should trailer it with a Tacoma and become a split Toyota/Jeep guy.

Thoughts? Am I looking at this right? How do you guys afford these expensive trucks? Yikes. I might be cheap. I just don't want to spend more than $35k. Interested in getting the feedback on how you all made your decision.
Well hold up a minute. First of all, you're comparing a 15 year old platform to a new platform. You're also comparing a cab with a fixed roof and doors to a convertible with removable doors. So OF COURSE the Gladiator is going to cost more....you're getting more truck.

The Gladiator is objectively better in every single category. Off-road? Towing? Hauling? Interior space? Strength of frame and suspension? Brakes? Engine? Transmission? Visiblity? You can look at any criteria you want and the Jeep wins. Reliability? The Tacoma has been subject to numerous recalls, the Gladiator has only had one so far.

Yes, the Jeep costs more. But you're getting a lot more. Question is, do you want an outdated truck with drum brakes, plastic cargo box, horrible interior design, finicky engine, clunky old transmission, and IFS for less money? OR do you want the best midsize truck ever made to date for more money?

· Registered
14,484 Posts
I traded my 2017 Taco for the Gladiator. The third generation Tacos and their engine/transmission combos are just not fun to drive IMO. I also got the OV Tune kit and it still just wasn’t that great. I’m very happy with the JT and how it drives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
12,229 Posts
A loaded Rubicon Gladiator is around $65,000

Ford will be coming out with three Bronco variants. They may bring the Ranger Raptor here, which could be interesting

What most manufacturers are doing is selling their stripped models at a price designed to get your interest and then every option that you add on is severely overpriced, especially if it is a bundle of options sold as a package. That’s why a loaded model of anything is often twice the price of the stripped base model.

· I Like to Camp
13,020 Posts
In the past I did say to myself that if Jeep ever again built a pickup, I'd buy one. I was 16 when the Comanche was being built and always thought they were cool!

Well I recently bought a Tacoma TRD Off-Road access cab. I paid cash, and it fit in with what I wanted to spend (MSRP $38.9k, paid $34.4k). Besides the price, I had in my head for a two-door, extended cab pickup with a 6 ft. bed, which is this. It also has a rear locker, the technology package, and I don't mind the engine/transmission (it's an upgrade from my TJ :D). It's going to be mostly a daily driver and for yard work (my house and a rental). I may put a light weight camper top on it, which there are currently more options for the Tacoma (like a GFC). I don't plan to modify the truck much. IMHO, as-is the Tacoma TRD Off-Road stock just looks better than a JT Sport (that screams for a lift).

Funny thing is that I can go onto Tacoma World and read a similar thread Tacoma vs. Gladiator, and you can figure the responses! I love Jeeps too… I'll never sell my TJ and I grew up with CJs and Wagoneers. But I was disappointed in the stupid stuff that started going wrong with my wife's former KJ. I swear it was engineered at 10 years to start to need everything replaced? (For example, three of four window regulators all broke within 10 days.) We were going to replace the KJ with a WK2, but after the many KJ repairs, we bought a 4Runner Limited. Now for my TJ, it's not all that stock anymore. My biggest complaint was with the stock OPDA. I think when it comes down to it, Toyota just has a better track record to build quality. But we'll see? I think I'll get my money out of the Tacoma.

I did actually consider for about a minute to sell my TJ, which then I could justify to get a JT Rubicon... but only for a minute. For $65k, it is super cool.

Honestly, when I retire in 10+ years, my dream setup is a diesel Ram 3500 with like an Arctic Fox TC, and tow my Jeep (on a trailer).

· Registered
297 Posts
I've had basically the same problem. My 2012 JKUR just clicked over 200k miles in the last few weeks. I've never owned anything but a Jeep or Dodge Ram, same for my wife as her uncle was head of Jeep in Australia up until a few months ago. I'll wait to see what the diesel performs like and what updates Toyotas get in the next few years.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

· Disturbed Jeepaholic
42,508 Posts
I prefer an original Gladiator with a MUCH cheaper price tag. Also way more rare to see on the street or trail.;) A 4 door Jeep screams soccer mom. Nothing wrong with that. Rich white folks need to take their kids somewhere.

Attachments

· Registered
173 Posts
Well hold up a minute. First of all, you're comparing a 15 year old platform to a new platform. You're also comparing a cab with a fixed roof and doors to a convertible with removable doors. So OF COURSE the Gladiator is going to cost more....you're getting more truck.

The Gladiator is objectively better in every single category. Off-road? Towing? Hauling? Interior space? Strength of frame and suspension? Brakes? Engine? Transmission? Visiblity? You can look at any criteria you want and the Jeep wins. Reliability? The Tacoma has been subject to numerous recalls, the Gladiator has only had one so far.

Yes, the Jeep costs more. But you're getting a lot more. Question is, do you want an outdated truck with drum brakes, plastic cargo box, horrible interior design, finicky engine, clunky old transmission, and IFS for less money? OR do you want the best midsize truck ever made to date for more money?
You sir are my hero for saying this! Im tired of all these Toyota fanboys dissing the Gladiator left and right. Dont get me wrong I like Tacomas they are a solid truck. But the Gladiator gets crapped on a lot and I just dont understand why, its a truck just like all the others in the segment. And performs better in many categories. Not all but some. I do think the MSRP could be slightly lower on the Gladiators. But at the end of the day, nothing like being able to take your top and doors off.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts