Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought a couple axles last weekend and this wheel was on them. I’m thinking it is a Genuine and worth saving. Can anyone confirm?
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Light

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Automotive tire

·
Registered
1981 Jeep CJ5
658 Posts
April 29th 1982
Could be original, if that was the year of the Jeep the axles came from.

Not sure worth saving for drive-ability on your Jeep, but could be used to wrap a chain through it.
Makes a chain pull work like using a nylon rope.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Interested in selling it? I'm looking to replace one that's got a little wobble in it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
yes its original rims called wagon. they were coming in chrome at the time.
worth a good money in second hand market usually.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The axles were 79 NTs, but that was from the donor vehicle they bought to fix an 82. Everything was loose on the the axles so who knows.

the other 3 wheels are dated Nov 22, 1983. I don’t recall seeing CJs with this type.
Interested in selling it? I'm looking to replace one that's got a little wobble in it.
I had a vibration that the TSM suggested would be caused by a wheel wobbling based upon the speed
, >60 mph, it occurs at. Once I solve that and know that I don’t need it, yes I would be willing to sell. Unfortunately, I don’t see that happening before spring based upon the other numerous projects planned for this winter. I’m breaking the rules on identifying root cause by changing wheel bearings, gears, tires, springs, and shocks all once. Not to fix the vibration but because I need to replace 30 year old tires before logging many miles above 60 mph and I want bigger tires ;).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,084 Posts
Yes, by all appearances that looks to be a stock jeep CJ wheel.

People pop up here ever so often looking for 1 to replace a bad/missing one or complete a set, definitely worth NOT tossing.

Hoss

·
Premium Member
2,055 Posts
Yes a Jeep CJ OEM wheel and as the stamp suggests is 1982. After 1980 all OEM "wagon" wheels were drilled for center caps, as is this one.

JS

·
Premium Member
10,084 Posts
Are the other three white solid steel wheels like you posted, or are those the ones you have now?

Hoss

·
Registered
179 Posts
I would happen to be one of "those people", I have 4 of them and one is bent - plus I could use a spare as well. The darn thing is I had them powder coated and didn't bother to check if they were true. I do have two 15x8" rims .......

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are the other three white solid steel wheels like you posted, or are those the ones you have now?

Hoss
Yes, the other 3 were white solid wheels. Looks like there may have been a center cap the snapped on

·
Premium Member
10,084 Posts
Yes, the other 3 were white solid wheels. Looks like there may have been a center cap the snapped on
Nope, stock steel wheel, no center cap. (Unless you mean a small hubcap, which yes, earlier jeep CJs did have)

I actually kind of dig them, and they too will have value to someone looking for a set. (Or a spare) not a tone, but still!

Hoss

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nope, stock steel wheel, no center cap. (Unless you mean a small hubcap, which yes, earlier jeep CJs did have)

Hoss
Yes, a small hubcap would be a better description, but I didn’t notice any scratching so I don’t think any were installed. They have an 83’ date code so not original to an early CJ. 15x5.5. Maybe a postal Jeep? They are black on the backside.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive parking light

·
Premium Member
9,608 Posts
Not sure worth saving for drive-ability on your Jeep, but could be used to wrap a chain through it.
Makes a chain pull work like using a nylon rope.
Blasphemy, any old Jeep OEM wagon wheel can be brought back to life cheaper than buying new ones that won't give you that original look.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Hubcap

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Hubcap

Fluid Wood Oval Water Tile flooring

Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Tread

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
1981 Jeep CJ5
658 Posts
Blasphemy, any old Jeep OEM wagon wheel can be brought back to life cheaper than buying new ones that won't give you that original look.

View attachment 4132572

View attachment 4132573

View attachment 4132574

View attachment 4132575

View attachment 4132576

View attachment 4132577
I agree on the rims, to be brought back to new again, the effort is well worth the reward. Even to have brought back to true, well worth it.
I only had one picture showing on the thread, when I wrote my initial comment, and thought we were talking tire....ugh :/
On with the show!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Keith's attention to detail and preservation of originality are really impressive. For some reason, my eyes are immediately drawn to aftermarket wheels. I prefer the originals.

However, like all OEM CJ parts, they are getting pretty expensive now.

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts
What is the backspacing on the OEM 15x7 & 15x8 wagon wheels? Is the backspacing the same, meaning the 15x8 will provide a wider stance?

What is the width and backspacing on the standard steel wheels?

I have a standard steel wheel on the back of my 1985 CJ-7, it’s the spare. I assume it spins true, but don’t know for sure. If there is anyone out there that wants my spare they can have it for free, come and get it. I will never use it.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
If you can wait until springtime, I'll come get it. I've been looking for one. The only time I ever traveled without a spare I picked up a nail. Murphy is alive and well! The Boss won't want to go to the beach until it warms up.

I just saw where the snow prediction for Boone is 12" tonight. I hope Nick has some cold weather gear.

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts
It’s yours Bob. I’ll bring it to you when I make the trip this year when that Jeep Rally event takes place, in Pickens SC. When is that event scheduled?

Last night Nick and I were watching AEW wrestling, me in Moyock and Nick in Boone. He sends me a link and then we both watch at the same time. We text back and forth commenting on the shenanigans going on in the ring. It’s a Friday ritual.

I just came in from feeding the dogs, and it was starting to hail slightly. A very light freezing rain I guess. How much snow is this storm bringing you? Nick said they got 6-10 inches last night. You are further inland, where this storm is forecast to hit hard, unlike me being on the coast.

I went out to take a picture of the wheel for you, it’s raining now, a very light drizzle. Definitely not good flying weather. Anyone that tried to fly in this would ice up real quick.
Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tail & brake light Automotive parking light
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Thanks Ax! When we first got the CJ it only came with the four wheels on the ground. It also needed tires, so I ordered four tires and an extra wagon wheel from my tire guy. He went ahead and mounted one of the tires on the new wheel. It is very much like the stock CJ 8"X15" wagon wheels except it has 10 "D" rings instead of eight. I use the best of the old wheels for a spare. I want to get all four Jeep wheels on the ground and get a lighter spare. The original steel wheel will be perfect for an around town spare. I'm getting too dadgum old to lift a 31" tire on a 8"X15" wheel on and off my tailgate spare mount.

Last year's Jeep Explosion was the last weekend in September. More than likely, it will be the same time this year. The funny thing this past one was planned in a very short time and it attracted 400+ Jeeps. Who knows what will happen with a year's planning? Happy to hear you are coming. I hope JEEPFELLER gets his rubber .50 caliber mounted on Mr. Willy to take part too. Note: while I was typing this he called, and we talked for an hour. He is as bored as I am today.

We had about 4" of snow early this AM and then the sleet started to fall and compressed it so we have 6+" of slick. Freezing rain expected this afternoon. That means the worst is yet to come. Upstate SC is shut down and waiting for spring. JEEPFELLER lives 60 miles as the crow flies from me and he just has sleet and freezing rain.

Again thanks!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts