Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 291 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jeep Fam.....Are we temporarily here again? REALLY? Or, is the writing on the wall, a sign of things to come?

Are we truly past peak oil? Is an infrastructure hack really so easy to do, and a ransom of 5 mil in order to turn things back on and reverse the hack.

Are we as a nation so naive to think this wont happen again? Its concerning and makes me think, Is this the beginning of the end of fossil fuel daily drivers?

Recently noticing the next fuel fear factor. What about you? Have you been inconvienenced by the long gas lines and shopping bags on many gas pump nozzles?

Science fiction at the movies is swiftly become fuel hard facts. Fuel motivates and mobilizes all of us.

Due to the gas stortage related to the recent pipeline hack. I have been uncomfortable in reminiscing about the 70's, 80's, 90's and even 2000's gas shortages and their effect on how we all work, travel, grocery shop, visit relatives and more.

Our love affair with gas and diesel may be coming to an end sooner, rather than later?

Like covid and the pandemic, this recent fuel supply interuption is the energy equivelent of a health pandemic for vehicles. In fact, I am remembering past multiple gas shortages and price hikes equating to long lines at the pumps and it has not only me but many nationwide, nervous and concerned wondering, whats next?

So, I started this post to hear what you y'all feel about all this and get your feedback and opinions.

A year or so ago, I started an old project of learning about electric motor bicycle and vehicle retrofit kits.

I had planned to eventiually start gathering schematics, wiring diagrams, and parts to do a alternative transportation diy bicycle and singletrack trailer build using 2nd a sturdy hand bike and mid drive motorwith a LIPO4 BATTERY.

I also, have continued to gather and save information for converting a vehicle like the jeep Grand Cherokee into a hybrid or full EV.

So, i said all that in order to make a point which is, NOW is the time to start the discussion of considering employing EV technology into our current vehiles. Now, Im not saying we have to do this overnight but, we ALL need to, AT THE VERY LEAST, at least consider the possibility of a hybrid or full EV future with discussions on the electrification of our current vehicles?

We should be asking these deeper questions, the future stops for no one, my question is, are we ready?

Sent from my SM-T567V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
I think it's an interesting topic, as someone who's other hobbies have been able to take advantage of combining old tech and new.

I mean how's 500hp and 800lb feet of torque in a CJ sound?

www.motortrend.com/news/tesla-crate-motor-ev-conversion-small-block-v-8/amp/

I think the problem is fitting enough batteries safely where the gas tank used to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I think it's an interesting topic, as someone who's other hobbies have been able to take advantage of combining old tech and new.

I mean how's 500hp and 800lb feet of torque in a CJ sound?

www.motortrend.com/news/tesla-crate-motor-ev-conversion-small-block-v-8/amp/

I think the problem is fitting enough batteries safely where the gas tank used to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for being the first poster. You are right, it is an interesting and IMO, an extremely worthy topic that, with enough folks putting their heads together progress aill occur and eventually, a large group of EV companies with deep pockets will emerge to service the Jeep and other lesser served EV communities.

It can and will one day, be achieved as EVWEST has already proven. And its only going to get better with time.

Prices for Lithium Iron Phosphate 4 or LifPo4, for short, is a stable and mostly safe changing battery technology and is only getting better and cheaper.

Solar has come down to where you can make 250 watts from the sun, for as little as $50 per panel (panels come 10 to a pallet) so 2500 wats of of solar generated power, on tap with some additional wiring, enginuity and batteries to collect and save the power and the Hybrid powered CJ, TJJK, and ZJ and XJ aka the Redneck Tesla jeep models are born, or BUILT, in this case.

Right now, in small and mid size shops all across the nation, DIYers and vehicle electrification specialty shops are ramping up for the next big push, as modern hybrid technology and old school gas and diesel motor powerred cars, SUVS, trucks and vans will be getting these retrofit kits installed.

Its a topic that smarter men then I, have been having, on forums recently and so I thought, why not have a similar one here on Jeep forum.

Yes, battery to miles traveled is a bottleneck but with more and more creative thinkers, thinking about how to solve these milestones, all obstacles will be overcome eventually and this will be like the T.V. or the computer or mobile phone, it will become ubiquitous.

I look forward to hearing from the bright minds of this Jeep community.

Its the electric elephant in the room, and from what Im seeing, he's not going away....

Only biding his time and getting bigger.

·
Registered
1974 Jeep CJ-6
6,126 Posts
(Semi big .gov rant, not too worried if this gets moderated) Nope, no electric for me. I will continue to pay my road use tax at the pump, not long until those with fully electric cars get their government installed mileage tracking device installed and get their mileage tax bill at the end of each month. Solar is fine and dandy, but after I drive all day and plan to leave in the morning, hard to charge in the darkness of night.... sure you can charge a battery bank all day and use that to charge overnight, but that just makes a ton of excess heat and wasted energy. More needs to be spent into research for renewable fuels to power the current fleet of vehicles. One of the most promising was harvesting the oils from algea that is fed with garbage to create bio diesel. But currently like most forms of fuel that are not fossil based is they are net losers, it takes more energy to harvest the fuel than it creates.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I'm with fourtrail. While electric cars can have their place, say as a commuter car, they would not fit every situation. Nobody seems to bring up how the electricity to recharge the batteries is produced. With the reduction of nuclear and coal fired plants, what does that leave, natural gas? Last time I checked that too was a fossil fuel. I also own a boat, do you really think I want to be sitting next to a bank of batteries while boating in a lake? I get the horsepower torque thing, I actually work for an electric commuter railroad. But there is still nothing like the rumble of a gasoline engine and the ability to fill the tank almost anywhere you go. I also used to have a 1973 VW Beetle, great little car and really fun to drive. People were playing around with installing battery power in them as well, while it was possible and there was one guy who did a great job of it, it didn't catch on. our jeeps may just become playthings that we use when we can afford the highly taxed gas to feed them, at least until things change.

Reactions: 95-ZJ

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
These are just some random thoughts I'm having over a cup this morning. The past six months I've been doing some Interstate Highway travel seeking medical treatment. I've yet to see a charging station or a sign advertising one. I'm sure that will change with time. Charging at home will be expensive. Initially it will be cheaper than filling up at the pump. That won't last as governments realize they will need to recoup lost tax revenues. Unless you live in this area or one like it where our electricity is nuclear generated electrical power generation uses fossil fuel so electrical power will only hide fossil fuel dependence. Our community successfully fought off the opening of a coal ash storage site where the waste was to be trucked or shipped by train. I guess the power company decided that our nuclear plants didn't create any they'd send us our share. Won't even talk about nuclear power waste except it isn't stored in a mile from my house. Can the power grids support the increased demand of charging? Can JEEPFELLER carry extra power in a Jerry can? I'll quit on that because my cup is empty.

I spent last Saturday night listening to several of you ZJ guys--we have one too--mitching and boaning about electrical problems in your Jeeps. Are you sure you want to add anything electrical to your Jeep? I know want it won't work for a CJ because we'd constantly have a bad ground!

Y'all get off the computer and have a good day in your Jeep.

·
Premium Member
9,241 Posts
I can see something on the horizon with this electric push. Many of the leaders in this think far more of the European countries than they do our own. They want to copy them and one of the big items is public transit. In our nation it's not a very good alternative to getting in your car and driving to work but that's not enough of a reason for these types to just live and let live. With that being said if we see a turn to electric cars there will be a bigger push for public transit. It's like herding cattle, just keep cutting them in the direction you want them to go.

But to your point on Jeeps and converting them to electric. You won't need a Jeep anymore since the tree hugging liberals are also going to close the trails down you ride on, in an effort to save the environment.

·
Super Moderator
23,684 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
As a Tesla driver for the past 2.5 years I’d say that any concern I had about charging either at home or travel has been satisfied. Tesla just announced their 26k charger. I’ve never had an issue finding a supercharger, let alone the many 3p chargers that exist.

Electrifying my old Jeep is interesting, but I doubt practical. It’s really costly. I seriously doubt the suspension can take the extra battery weight. I’ll keep watching to see what happens.

·
Real Jeeps have dents
29,515 Posts
Gasoline is not going away any time soon. There are too many places that are too far away from civilization, and electricity, is one reason. One only has to look at Texas and their electrical grid troubles this past winter, as another reason. Any major natural disaster event like an earthquake or hurricane will disrupt the electrical grid over a wide area for an extended period of time. In addition, the electrical grid physical infrastructure security and cybersecurity is a dismal as the gasoline pipeline cybersecurity.

I can syphon gasoline/diesel from one vehicle to the next, or from a 55 gallon drum, can you syphon electrons ? Lots of people and businesses need more than a few hundred miles of driving range.

I would be interested in a hybrid gas and electric Jeep.

Reactions: Wyo and John Strenk

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Four Trail-

Thanks for the feedback. Some thought provoking comments and reasonable points to ponder on and consider. Increased electric use leading to even more taxation? Possible, even probable. Whats the alternative? What other technology do we know as much or more about that would be better, cleaner, safer? How easily do we implement that OTHER energy technology so we can keep up our pace, right now, PEAK OIL is here. FOSSIL FUEL IS FINITE. We have emerging technologies like fracking etc but at what cost? When we effectively run out, what is the alternative for our children and grand childen?Sinkholes and huge patches of unusble land, unbreathable air?

More monitoring and surveillance of the populace via use control devices, because of electric vehicle use. Am I missing something? I thought we already had all that happening now? Computers in most cars after 1996. Monitoring devices on every corner of street and shop. Smart meters? I dont care for where we are going in that area but thats another topic for another time and isnt that all here now anyway?

The point I dont get is "Whats Next?" If not vehicle electrification, what else? And we cant just build new electric cars by the billions when we have perfectly good liquid fuel vehicles that could be repowered with ....what? What if there is a carbon ban in the next few years? All Im suggesting in this discussion is, just that, more discussion and debate because it needs to be thought out, not rushed as a last hope, last ditch effort when we run out of dinosour fossils.

·
Super Moderator
23,684 Posts

I can syphon gasoline from one vehicle to the next, or from a 55 gallon drum, can you syphon electrons ?
You kinda can. It's like filling a tank on a chainsaw with a pumper for a jet aircraft. Dangerous and a lot of waste.

I would would be interested in a hybrid gas and electric Jeep.
A hybrid conversion would probably be harder than a straight up electric conversion.

·
Premium Member
2,886 Posts
Sometimes history likes to repeat. Like the gas crunch of the early seventies.

The nationwide 55 speed limit lasted for a while, but it eventually fell to the wayside.

Many things have changed over the years, but many things remain the same.

Attachments

·
Real Jeeps have dents
29,515 Posts
The 1970's gas shortages were not because there was a lack of oil, but because OPEC was making a political point with their oil embargo and profiting very handsomely from the 130% price increase. Short sighted energy policies lead to low oil production in the Western Countries and an excessive dependence on imported oil and gasoline.

I don't think I would spend money to retrofit a classic 4x4 to all electric or electric/gas hybrid, but I would be interned in buying a current hybrid technology new 4x4.

·
Registered
14,283 Posts
Gasoline isn't going away anytime soon with all the muscle cars
they've been pumping out. Plus you have to factor in the range
of electric. Yeah it's getting better, but just look at the cannonball
run! Gas the record is 25 hours 39 minutes, while electric holds at
48 hours, and 10 minutes. That's using a long-range Tesla Model 3
and only Tesla’s Supercharger stations.

As of right now there's less than 5% of all registered cars on the road
in California that are EV? California has the most EV per capita in the
whole country.

Also what happens when these people hack the electrical grid???? They
better do it in Winter, cause I need my A/C!

Reactions: 97Mule

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Electrifying existing cars has already started, and there's no question that it will happen to Jeeps. It's sad to me in some ways. I love American V8's, and that's what belongs in cars of a certain era. As far as Jeeps go, packaged right and with charging infrastructure, there's just no way electric won't be better off road than ICE.

I am not opposed to electric cars, but they should simply be left to the market. And the market is clearly interested in them.

The biggest thing standing in the way of electric is charging infrastructure (stations and the necessary energy) and that pesky cheap oil. We can all see very clearly what Biden is doing to "correct" these things.

The auto parts supplier I work for puts out projections for what they expect the market to look like in 10-15 years. It is a very dramatic shift from ICE to electric. Some might like to say they're wrong, but it is a massive company. And massive companies making the right investments has more to do with influencing the game than just betting on it.

No, nothing illegal. Just standard selling government on regulating and subsidizing into existence "green" and "safety" products - even if they are neither. This is how cars have always been made. It's how every major corporation operates.

The electrical grid question is the most amusing because nobody ever addresses it. Bottom line, we simply do not have the capacity to put all existing transportation energy on the grid, much less "green" grids. It's just laughable and makes it so apparent that this is all about corporations making billions off of government mandated products and communists (ie Democrats) taking absolute power.

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts
Electric cars have been around since before 1900. There a reason(s) why they are still in the infant stage.

What kind of motor trouble would you rather have if your out in the middle of nowhere.... Gasoline or electric? I know what i would choose.

WHEN ( thats a big if) ev become mainstream are there going to be 15yr old ev's in the used car lots? Crap, a lot of us have headbanging electrical problems on occasion, are you going to buy a used ev.... Not Me!

Go ahead and build your ev jeep, great.

Gas and diesel with be bought and sold long after we are all dead!
In the early 70's i remember watching the b/w tv news about the gas shortages in the city's on the east coast.I lived in s Texas never saw any of that.

When i was 6 or 7 i asked my dad if i could sign the CC receipt and he let me.....Gas was 0.11 cents a gallon.

·
Registered
11,691 Posts
The 1970's gas shortages were not because there was a lack of oil,
true dat!

and I will selfishly admit the shortage did'nt bother me at all. I was working at a convenience store at the time and was good friends with the manager. We never actually ran out, but had to limit the sales to tie in with supply. Needless to say, I got all the gas I needed. hehe. So the crunch was'nt so bad for me. And it was fun watching all the fights at the pumps when we did have them on. The lines were blocks long.

And besides... had not the whole thing happened, we would'nt have the awesome Sammy song "I can't drive 55!". :grin2:

Reactions: XJ99 and 97Mule

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts
In 76 i was in a class that would give u credits if you had a job.... the class was after lunch so if you had a job you just went to work and if you didnt you came to class for a hour and then you could go to find work or go home. It was called DE or Distributive Ed.
I got a job at a convenience store by the college for two reasons.... girls and the BEER!

I think gas was way expensive..... like 30 cents!

1 - 20 of 291 Posts