Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the fast response. Yeah I just seen I put 3.13 as the gear ratio, but your right it's a 3.31. That doesn't bother me. I'm running 4.56 right now. So will have to regear anyways. I done have a locked 8.8 in the rear. So if I do swap I'm going to just put adapters on the rear to match I guess. Maybe some spacing on front. I think it's just slightly wider than the 8.8 if I'm right the 8.8 is like 59 & 1/4 from mount to mount. So all I would really need to do is bolt it up and change the hubs to Manuel lockouts right? Thanks again information is priceless sometimes.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Can standard dana 44 lockouts be put on a a 8 lug j20 dana 44?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Been building a 5.9 for a bit. 8.8 rear and will move to 5 5.5 super 8.8 shafts (or similar). Front D30 is bent from the dunes and smiling. About to get analysis paralysis but I THINK I need a non vac 85 -90(91) Grand waggy D44 as a start to grind on and put new mounts... Correct?

Also Im working on the parts list for a big brake upgrade from F250 or Ram 2500 (JPMagazine Build Thread). Have the 17" rims but in a nutshell, is the GWD44 or a TJRubicon D44 all good?

·
Registered
385 Posts
looked through here but didn't see an answer, so here goes,
what is the distance between the spring perches on the chief axle?

·
Cool as Ice...
2,602 Posts
looked through here but didn't see an answer, so here goes,
what is the distance between the spring perches on the chief axle?
Same as the rest of the late FSJs. The frame width didn't change.

·
Cool as Ice...
2,602 Posts

·
Registered
17,685 Posts
Some '82-84 (have heard that even a few in '85) had the vacuum disconnect, but not all. Any non-disconnect front D44 from 80-91 is going to be the same. I have yet to see anyone explain why the two groups are broken out.

·
Cool as Ice...
2,602 Posts
Did Dana 30 axles ever have manual hubs from the factory? I'm trying to figure out what front axle my '73 Wagoneer has. The wheels have 5x5,5" bolt pattern and the axle has manual hubs.
Its a 5x5.5" closed-knuckle Dana 44 with drum brakes. Perfectly normal to have manual hubs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think I'm nuts

I am a newb to the jeep scene so excuse my ignorance. I've read a lot on this topic and have just become more confused. I own a 1987 grand wagoneer. I need to replace the bearings and seals in my rear. The supply house (BJ's) says I have a Dana 44 but I can see its an AMC 20. 12 bolts with a "B" gearing code. What I have read says the "B" code was for the wide track but mine is narrow (50 1/2"). It should have a "BB" code for narrow.?Someone could have replaced the rear with the AMC but I'm just skeptical. I've seen on the Morris 4x4 site where my truck came with Dana and AMC both but in 1985 not 1987. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I am a newb to the jeep scene so excuse my ignorance. I've read a lot on this topic and have just become more confused. I own a 1987 grand wagoneer. I need to replace the bearings and seals in my rear. The supply house (BJ's) says I have a Dana 44 but I can see its an AMC 20. 12 bolts with a "B" gearing code. What I have read says the "B" code was for the wide track but mine is narrow (50 1/2"). It should have a "BB" code for narrow.?Someone could have replaced the rear with the AMC but I'm just skeptical. I've seen on the Morris 4x4 site where my truck came with Dana and AMC both but in 1985 not 1987. Any ideas?
I have seen a couple 1986 Grand Wagoneers with AMC 20 axles but never a 1987. Chances are someone swapped it in.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.