21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Cool as Ice...
2,602 Posts

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
For the vac disconnect, there is a pod on the axle differential cover, it is obvious.

Every 1985 I have seen had an AMC 20 rear, I am pretty sure that most, if not all, had the 20.

The only front axles that had manual locking hubs are the Dana 20 rigs and the NP208 rigs.

Locking hubs are easily added though, just pull the drive flanges off and replace them with hubs.

·
Cool as Ice...
2,602 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok guys, I have never claimed to be a "Jeep Pro" but I feel like I know a whole lot about a lot of different Jeeps, GM, and old Ford (Mostly 66-77 Bronco) but I am stumped.... I picked up a rear D44 from a 88 G. Waggy. Everyone says all Waggy D44's are offset (at least a little bit) but this one is not.. flange to absolute CL of pinion is within 1/16" from either side... Another very confusing part of this, the wheel bearing, and seal assy... Every assy diagram I can find (All Data, ServiceNet, Mitchell, Haynes, etc.) shows an inner seal and an outer seal.. being that assembled - inner seal, bearing retainer, bearing, outer seal, then "guide plate" or "retainer flange", and then finally brake backing plate. There is, with 100% certainty, absolutely no place within the axle housing, that is machined to accept an inner seal? Anyone ever seen this? Any ideas if for some reason this is not the axle that should have been installed in this Jeep? Lastly, I know (personally, and very close) this Jeep was purchased and never messed with by the owner that I got this axle from...

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Ok guys, I have never claimed to be a "Jeep Pro" but I feel like I know a whole lot about a lot of different Jeeps, GM, and old Ford (Mostly 66-77 Bronco) but I am stumped.... I picked up a rear D44 from a 88 G. Waggy. Everyone says all Waggy D44's are offset (at least a little bit) but this one is not.. flange to absolute CL of pinion is within 1/16" from either side... Another very confusing part of this, the wheel bearing, and seal assy... Every assy diagram I can find (All Data, ServiceNet, Mitchell, Haynes, etc.) shows an inner seal and an outer seal.. being that assembled - inner seal, bearing retainer, bearing, outer seal, then "guide plate" or "retainer flange", and then finally brake backing plate. There is, with 100% certainty, absolutely no place within the axle housing, that is machined to accept an inner seal? Anyone ever seen this? Any ideas if for some reason this is not the axle that should have been installed in this Jeep? Lastly, I know (personally, and very close) this Jeep was purchased and never messed with by the owner that I got this axle from...
I have seen some that didn't have an inner seal but I had never looked to see if there was a spot for it.

The way to figure this out 100% is to send me the BOM (Bill of Material) number on the axle and I'll tell you what it came from. Here is where to find the BOM:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just bought waggy 44's front and rear for 350. the person i got them off of doesnt know the year of the truck and before i start buying for the rebuild would the BOM number help identify the year? Its 610283-1. thanks for the help

·
Cool as Ice...
2,602 Posts
I just bought waggy 44's front and rear for 350. the person i got them off of doesnt know the year of the truck and before i start buying for the rebuild would the BOM number help identify the year? Its 610283-1. thanks for the help
You can do it yourself right here:

http://www2.dana.com/expertforms/demenu.aspx

Click on "Light Axle" and then "Axle Bill of Material".

They appear to be from an 87-88 Grand Wagoneer. If you wanted FSJ NT's with a driver's side drop, you made a good score for that price if they are complete and functional. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
old thread, i know! i just picked up a 77 cherokee- 360 V8, t-18 trans, and the D20 t-case. im trying to figure out my axle situation. my front axle has a vacuum disconnect hose that is DISCONNECTED, i cant figure out where it goes. it also has warn locking hubs from the factory... is it a D20 or D44?

·
Cool as Ice...
2,602 Posts
old thread, i know! i just picked up a 77 cherokee- 360 V8, t-18 trans, and the D20 t-case. im trying to figure out my axle situation. my front axle has a vacuum disconnect hose that is DISCONNECTED, i cant figure out where it goes. it also has warn locking hubs from the factory... is it a D20 or D44?
Dana 20 is a transfer case, as you already stated. AMC 20s were never made in front axle configurations.

Are you sure you're not just looking at the vent hose coming off the diff?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
sorry, meant AMC 20... yeah i think its just a breather hose. im dumb and very unfamiliar with older vehicles... but im learning! thanks you for your help!

·
Cool as Ice...
2,602 Posts
So the link posted earlier didn't work. I have a 66 wagoneer and trying to figure out what drivetrain is in it.
What link are you referring to? Checked all mine and they work. I believe the one you want is in post #21.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been looking for a front end swap for my yj. I finally found one sort of local. It's a 1991 grand wagoneer. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet. I have talked with the owner of the yard where it is located. He said it was a d44 3.13 gear with auto locking hubs. I asked if it had the vacuum disconnect. He said he wasn't for sure. Question is, is there any chance it might have the disconnect. I have done some research on the axles and I can't find anything on the auto hubs. Whatever they are can the be replaced out for manual aftermarket hubs? I have a friend that got one from a 1987 gw and it already had manual locking hubs. So anymore information someone can give me work be helpful.

·
Cool as Ice...
2,602 Posts
I have been looking for a front end swap for my yj. I finally found one sort of local. It's a 1991 grand wagoneer. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet. I have talked with the owner of the yard where it is located. He said it was a d44 3.13 gear with auto locking hubs. I asked if it had the vacuum disconnect. He said he wasn't for sure. Question is, is there any chance it might have the disconnect. I have done some research on the axles and I can't find anything on the auto hubs. Whatever they are can the be replaced out for manual aftermarket hubs? I have a friend that got one from a 1987 gw and it already had manual locking hubs. So anymore information someone can give me work be helpful.
That will be a non-disco. If you don't already have a rear axle, that vehicle would be a great candidate for a matching set of D44s - especially if you are going to try and adapt an 8.8. If he still has the rear, you can completely avoid bolt pattern issues.

As for the hubs, I think it is more likely that it has drive flanges that the guy was calling "auto locking" hubs - meaning you don't have to lock them. No matter what it does have, flanges and auto lockiuts are both easily removed for the installation of manual lockouts.

The gearing is most likely 3.31.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.