Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello out there!
On my 96 grand cherokee 5.2L the nylon fuel line that connects the right and left fuel rails cracked in half. They sell the type 12 nylon fuel line at A Zone but no matter how much I heat it up and put lube on the fitting it just wont come down over the two flares. Can't even get it past one. Is this a thing where a used fuel rail with the crossover line intact is the answer or am I missing some trick?
Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
11,568 Posts
I used high quality rubber fuel hose with high quality "full contact" hose clamps (whatever their actual name is?), zero issues with the crossover hose during the few years I had it in there.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I think I would braze or silver solder some AN male fittings on the rails and then run a short piece of braided teflon between the sides. You can get mild steel fittings and drill them to be a close fit to the existing nipples. A bit more effort to set up but bullet proof and easy to replace later if needed.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Up until a year or so ago I would have agreed with you. That's when the good quality fuel injection line I used to replace a section by the rail on my old 93 sprung a leak by the power steering pump. Not at a clamp. Just in the side of the hose. The whole hose was soft. It was about 6 years old though so maybe the newer fuel injection hose is better or maybe it just need to be replaced every 5 years or maybe I just got unlucky. Anyway, that's just my experience and why I'm a touch leery of rubber hose at the moment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used high quality rubber fuel hose with high quality "full contact" hose clamps (whatever their actual name is?), zero issues with the crossover hose during the few years I had it in there.

Thanks Timo! Thats the way I'll go but ordered the nylon fuel line before you got back to me so going to try that and if it doesn't work, fuel hose it is. BTW why are you removing the engine from your jeep in the pic?

·
Premium Member
11,568 Posts
BTW why are you removing the engine from your jeep in the pic?
Got fed up with not knowing why my engine kept eating a few of the pushrods every 2000 miles at the top end. I guess it was a good excuse for the stroker build. Engine hoisted out in 2020, now I finally have the time to work on the Jeep over the winter.

·
Premium Member
11,568 Posts
Up until a year or so ago I would have agreed with you. That's when the good quality fuel injection line I used to replace a section by the rail on my old 93 sprung a leak by the power steering pump. Not at a clamp. Just in the side of the hose. The whole hose was soft. It was about 6 years old though so maybe the newer fuel injection hose is better or maybe it just need to be replaced every 5 years or maybe I just got unlucky. Anyway, that's just my experience and why I'm a touch leery of rubber hose at the moment.
Can't remember the brand I bought, but it was the same rubber type that is used in AN fuel hoses which are approved for gasoline and ethanol. I sure hope they perform as advertised..

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
If the clamps have a screw and nut to close them and full contact, they are fuel injection clamps. If they are a regular worm gear clamp with extra metal to cover the slots for the screw, they are a liner clamp. Either works. Or since Timo is in Europe he might have some of what we call Euro style clamps, a worm gear clamp with the thread indented but not punched through. No idea what they call them in Europe though.

That's not even getting into all the styles heater hose clamps come in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts