Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4.7 V8 with 140K miles and I'm thinking I want to replace the fuel filter.
Should I get the OEM?? (Which from what I can tell is really expensive)
Or has anyone tried other brands?
Duralast from Auto zone?
Fram?
WIX?
Or should I just "suck it up" and buy the OEM
My WJ runs fine. I'm just looking to preventative maintenance.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I replaced mine with a Wix 3 years ago. The inside of the old one was pretty nasty! Some people have problems with the built-in fuel pressure regulator squealing on new filters, regardless of brand. Thankfully, I didn't get one that does that! :)

·
Registered
'01 Limited 4.7L Quadradrive
1,584 Posts
The one thing to know about the fuel filter on WJ's is if it ain't broke, don't replace it. A large number of people say that after doing it they get a whining or whistling sound. Even the mfr says to replace only when necessary.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The one thing to know about the fuel filter on WJ's is if it ain't broke, don't replace it. A large number of people say that after doing it they get a whining or whistling sound. Even the mfr says to replace only when necessary.
So here's a question?
When do you change it? (When is it necessary??)
When you're stranded out in the sticks?
There must be an expected life span for the filter? I change my oil every 5K miles. (I don't wait until my truck breaks)
I'm thinking 140K miles it should be about time to put a new one in?

·
Registered
'01 Limited 4.7L Quadradrive
1,584 Posts
The service manual says to only replace the fuel filter if a diagnostic procedure indicates to do so. But it's your WJ and you can do whatever you'd like to do. If I have to ever replace mine it will be a Mopar filter. Too many posts out there indicating that aftermarket filters cause a lot of noise issues.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The service manual says to only replace the fuel filter if a diagnostic procedure indicates to do so. But it's your WJ and you can do whatever you'd like to do. If I have to ever replace mine it will be a Mopar filter. Too many posts out there indicating that aftermarket filters cause a lot of noise issues.
I can't speak from experience, but I do sympathize with the "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" mentality.

I can't really speak on fuel filters, but I've found a lot of the aftermarket stuff to be of significant lesser quality than the OEM parts. And I'm not buying the cheapest Chinese part I can find on Ebay.

But I do like spending money on Mopar parts when they're available. Figure if I know the Mopar parts lasted 100k miles, they'll probably last another 100k, whereas the aftermarket might fail after 50k or 40k. Aftermarket can be a bit of a crapshoot.

At the same time, I'm all into preventative maintenance and understand the desire to replace something before it fails. I change my oil and filter every 6k, my air filter every 12k, and so far have replaced all my spark plugs, my fuel injectors, and coil pack to try to keep the engine running as efficiently as possible.

It seemed to help too as I gain about 2 mpg.

Haven't replaced my fuel filter yet, but maybe I'll pick up a WIX one and try?

Heck, maybe I'll even hang onto the original filter. I can always swap it back in I guess.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ended up ordering this WIX from Amazon:
For some reason Amazon say it doesn't fit but the reviews say it does. I also cross referenced the part number on Summit racing and this is the correct one.
The negative reviews all seem very old like 2013. So hopefully WIX worked all the bugs out.
We'll see.

·
Premium Member
2,420 Posts
I replaced mine with a Wix 3 years ago when I purchased it. No noise or issues.

Reactions: toku58

·
Premium Member
2,420 Posts
The sock does, the filter/regulator mounted in front of the tank is a stand alone item.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I replaced my fuel filter when I put in a new Mopar fuel pump. I don't believe that the fuel filter was Mopar as I got that from the parts guys at my shop. No screaming or whining occurred with the new one.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
I replaced mine when I tucked my tank and re-routed some lines. There were no issues with the non-OEM replacement. May have been WIX or Bosch??

Jeep's recommendation is somewhat strange to me -- on a past Volvo of mine it was a regular maintenance schedule item. But hey, I'm no engineer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts