Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I agree the Dring mounts are probably overkill, but they were made in USA and arrived quickly. Spent some time on the bumper mount fabrication, drilled the extra hold in the subframe which did not exist on my TJ and started the wrap angles on the side of the bumper this weekend. Didn't make quite as much progress as I had hoped, due to the cold weather.

Another issue I ran into was I am not finding long enough hinge mounts to work with my 2X5 tubing, hadn't really thought about that to much when I used what my local metal shop had in stock which was 5". All the shafts I am finding are 4" anyone know where I can find one that is 5" long so it can be welded on top and bottom of bumper? Not sure when I will build the carrier but I would like to get the hinge mount welded in before I paint the bumper so the carrier can easily be added later without repainting or removing the bumper.

Attachments

·
Think Outside the Catalog
9,731 Posts
If it were me, I like things compact, minimal overhang. I'd rethink the mount, loose that 2" strut and bolt the bumper stock directly to the frame flange.

·
Premium Member
9,182 Posts
I agree the Dring mounts are probably overkill, but they were made in USA and arrived quickly. Spent some time on the bumper mount fabrication, drilled the extra hold in the subframe which did not exist on my TJ and started the wrap angles on the side of the bumper this weekend. Didn't make quite as much progress as I had hoped, due to the cold weather.

Another issue I ran into was I am not finding long enough hinge mounts to work with my 2X5 tubing, hadn't really thought about that to much when I used what my local metal shop had in stock which was 5". All the shafts I am finding are 4" anyone know where I can find one that is 5" long so it can be welded on top and bottom of bumper? Not sure when I will build the carrier but I would like to get the hinge mount welded in before I paint the bumper so the carrier can easily be added later without repainting or removing the bumper.
I like the way you're going to wrap the ends around. Eddie used to do that on his, picture of one is posted. You could taper them some if you like too and it would make them a little less snag prone.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I like the way you're going to wrap the ends around. Eddie used to do that on his, picture of one is posted. You could taper them some if you like too and it would make them a little less snag prone.
Do you have any pictures of it from the rear or side with the taper? Like the idea, might be worth doing depending on how it looks. I live in flatlander country so not sure how much serious climbing I will be doing with it or snags I will find. It spends most of its time exploring all the back roads in my county and neighboring counties. Started doing that when our wonderful governor would no longer allow us to meet for church and kinda been a Sunday afternoon thing every since then, kids ask to go driving around most Sunday afternoons now. Been down many roads that weren't fit for any of my other vehicles.

I did find that I should be able to use 1.25 ID pipe with the tire carrier hinge I was looking at so will have to see if I can find a 5" piece to weld into the bumper.

I got all the cut out pieces for front bumper today, had a local shop laser it all out for me will have to post some pics of raw metal and start on it once I am done on rear, which is proving longer then I had hoped.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
If it were me, I like things compact, minimal overhang. I'd rethink the mount, loose that 2" strut and bolt the bumper stock directly to the frame flange.
I think your on to something there, not liking the 2" gap I will have between the subframe and bumper. Wait till I tell the boys we have to remake our mounting brackets and thread them as well as scrap what we have already done. :grin2: Oh well it has been a good project to get them involved in, keep telling them they get to paint the bumper when complete.

·
Premium Member
9,182 Posts
I couldn't find any more pictures of the taper but what I think would look good and be functional is to taper the end, line drawn on your picture. Just a suggestion. Also if you mount the bumper against the frame you may find you don't have enough clearance for the swing out tire carrier.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I couldn't find any more pictures of the taper but what I think would look good and be functional is to taper the end, line drawn on your picture. Just a suggestion. Also if you mount the bumper against the frame you may find you don't have enough clearance for the swing out tire carrier.

Good catch, hadn't thought about clearance issues with carrier, will have to keep an eye on that. There will be a 1/2" threaded plate that I weld to the bumper similar to attached picture.

The plates where drilled, tapped and threaded last night.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Here are some pictures after tacking everything up this weekend. Finished welding after these pictures, not sure I need to angle the edges, like the looks of it as it is now. Other then that it is ready for cleaning and then paint. I ended up adding another 1/2" spacer so the bumper is 1" off the subframe, which should give me enough space to put a tire carrier on it if I decide to later, it will have minimal clearance but I like the overall spacing as it is now all the way around the tub of the jeep.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Here are some pics of the finished rear bumper after paint. I had to put studs on the inner bolts installed on the bumper to be able to complete mounting. Trying to get a bolt thru the subframe and then to thread into the bumper just wasn't working, especially on the drivers side. Could of probably dropped fuel tank, but it was full and didn't want to mess with it. Overall I like how it turned out.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
Here are some pics of the front bumper. Still have a fair amount of work to go yet. Main things I need to figure out how to mount the shackles, would like to tie back to frame somehow and also how tall and what sort of design for a hoop. Was thinking center and maybe possible a side one that ties into the center, have to see how it looks.

Also need to find some 2-2 1/4" fog or driving lights to fill the holes in bumper.

Attachments

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.