Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently the front driver side caliper locked up and was smoking badly. I Decided to try to rebuild calipers but caliper still locked up. Purchased remanufactured caliper with new rotor and pads. After all of the brake parts were put back on Jeep and brakes bleed on all four wheels, I attempted to try to rotate drivers side front wheel while Jeep was still on jack stands but I could not rotate drivers side wheel. Removed wheel and caliper and used wheel nuts to hold down rotor and still had hard time rotating rotor. I checked for anything touching rotor and didn’t see anything touching rotor. I am wonder whether I have a bad wheel hub assembly or bad axle. Please suggest what else to check to confirm what could be the issue.:frown2:

·
Premium Member
7,258 Posts
What year and model is the Jeep?
Did you have both front wheels off the ground when you tried to spin it?

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
Wheel bearing ready to fail?

·
Premium Member
7,258 Posts
A unit bearing/hub is one possibility.
But, if it's a model with full time AWD and only the 1 wheel was off the ground, it's not going to spin freely either way.
More info is needed.

·
Registered
1974 Jeep CJ-6
5,658 Posts
Very good chance that you have a bad wheel/unit bearing. Did you also replace the soft line from the frame to the wheel? The most common cause of a caliper locking up is a bad flex line that will allow fluid to the caliper, but not let it return to the master.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yes, I believe the driver side soft brake line may be bad. I have purchased new soft brake lines for both sides in front to hopefully solve the caliper issue. My most urgent task is to figure why the new rotor when bolted to hub on drivers side does not turn freely. Front wheels are removed and the manual trans is in neutral.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I resolved the issue of the wheel\rotor not turning smoothly. The brake backing plate\cover was bent and rubbing against the rotor, which when bolted down which was also causing a fitment issues with brake caliper as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts