Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Zj guy here trying to fix the parents 88 yj I6 4.2 with posi lok I believe. So wheeling today I don't know if my parents blew up the front axle or the transfer case. The 4wd is engaged and the driveshaft is turning but the front wheels aren't turning. We realized this because they were getting stuck in soft sand very easy. The driveshaft is easily turned by hand when in park and in gear which I know can't be right... Many blown drive shafts in my zj. Lol so what I'm asking is what do you think this could be the front axle transfer case or what?

·
Registered
47 Posts
no the axles fine the yj has a CAD setup where engine vacuum builds pressure and a fork slides a collar to connect both axle shafts the diaphram is located on the passenger side of the axle. remove the four bolts that hold the fork plate on with the jeep turned on have a helper shift into 4wd and see if the fork slides if it doesnt chances are a vacuum line is broken or the vacuum actuator is

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry posted before I read that... I thought the posi lok got rid of the vacuum or did it just get rid of the engaging part... And it would work on and off so maybe a hose is loose or cracked?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The front drive shaft would engage on and off... The 4wd was always on but like I said its like the drive shaft isn't engaging inside the tcase

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
cgcarpenter said:
The front drive shaft would engage on and off... The 4wd was always on but like I said its like the drive shaft isn't engaging inside the tcase
It's the t case probably. The posi lok is just a cable. I'm sure you would be able to tell if it was broken.

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
pull the posi lock so its engaged... jack up the passenger side wheel and turn the tire. You should be unable to move it. This tells if your posi lock is working and engaging the front as it should. Pull the 4x lever into 4hi and try to turn the front drive shaft. If it doesnt turn then you SHOULD have 4x. If it does turn then try putting the 4x into 4low and see if the shaft turns. if it doesnt turn now then your linkage needs to be adjusted. If it does then you got transfer case problems.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts