Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Front Axle refresh. Parts list help?

483 Views 12 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Towny72
So I want to refresh my Dana 30. The whole thing, there's no slop so I don't care to get into the gears, but I'd like to put in new U joints, ball joints, hub assemblies.

Can someone familiar with the process give me a list of parts and seals I'll need to complete the job?

Don't need part numbers or anything like that, but I'd like to purchase everything I need now so I can tackle the project in a month or so when I have a solid week to put the YJ in the garage.

Thanks in advance guys
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Premium Member
5,111 Posts
You basically listed off what you need to do if youre not getting into the gears. Hub assemblies, upper and lower ball joints and u joints. You would have to pull the diff to change the axle shafts seals. Could throw in a brake job if you havent done those already. Other than that, its a Saturday afternoon kinda job

· Read Only
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You basically listed off what you need to do if youre not getting into the gears. Hub assemblies, upper and lower ball joints and u joints. You would have to pull the diff to change the axle shafts seals. Could throw in a brake job if you havent done those already. Other than that, its a Saturday afternoon kinda job
How would I go about determining if the axle shaft seals need replacing? I did 2 years of a 4 year apprenticeship back in the day (never finished the training) and not once did I ever work on a domestic 4wd. I've never actually had an axle assembly apart before.

I have a full set of stainless extended brake lines to replace another set that's too long for my 2 1/2" lift. Also would you happen to know of a decent set of bumpstops for the front to accomodate the lift difference?

· Premium Member
5,111 Posts
If theres no oil leaking out of the end of the axle tubes, your seals should be fine.

I got a pair of extended bump stops off Amazon, Daystar I think? Honestly I think theyre way over priced for what they are and youd probably be better off using something to extend your factory ones

· Read Only
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If theres no oil leaking out of the end of the axle tubes, your seals should be fine.

I got a pair of extended bump stops off Amazon, Daystar I think? Honestly I think theyre way over priced for what they are and youd probably be better off using something to extend your factory ones
I just had a look on there also. 100 bucks gets a set of 2 rubber and steel bump stops. Lol that is crazy. I'll probably just cave in and get a set. Eventually the whole Jeep will be new parts, and that's ok. I bought it because the frame is rust free. So it's intended to be a never sell it sort of ongoing toy/ project.

· Registered
19,077 Posts
Also make sure you're getting the right unit bearings for the year you have. I don't remember exactly when but there's a change along the way in years with axle end parts. (Mean Max did a good write up on this way back, it may or may not be in the FAQ's).

EDIT

Here's the thread I mentioned, don't know that the actual unit bearing changed...

· Read Only
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you are using a generic ball joint press kit, do yourself a huge favor and buy the 'Jeep' add-on to go with it.
I will do just that. Much appreciated. I'll be getting that tool at my local NAPA because they have a lifetime warranty and it's just a few min away. I'll be sure to get the Jeep specific tool size. Thanks bro

· Read Only
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also make sure you're getting the right unit bearings for the year you have. I don't remember exactly when but there's a change along the way in years with axle end parts. (Mean Max did a good write up on this way back, it may or may not be in the FAQ's).

EDIT

Here's the thread I mentioned, don't know that the actual unit bearing changed...

That's very helpful. Many thanks

· Premium Member
1,499 Posts
If you do the inner seals, get a broom handle, and a long piece of all thread and some big washers.

It can be a PITA, but they are doable with basic stuff from your local hardware store.

· Read Only
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you do the inner seals, get a broom handle, and a long piece of all thread and some big washers.

It can be a PITA, but they are doable with basic stuff from your local hardware store.
I understand the tool you gave a recipe for. Good call on the washers and pull rod. Perfect way to give equal pressure to the full circumference. Good call man

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.