Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would appreciate your expert opinion on this frame repair.
It appears cracks developed in the typical spot just forward of the front spring hanger.
Plates were welded across the defects on both frame rails.
Is this a good repair?

Black Automotive tire Wood Rectangle Water
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive lighting Wood

·
Premium Member
8,958 Posts
What year Jeep is this? I've seen frame cracks at that location on 72-75 CJ-5's

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
80cj, it a 1983 CJ-5.
John, your comment "looks like 2 different welders", is that based on the size of the patch or quality of the weld?

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I think he is talking about the big gob of weld on the top of the actual frame. Welding those plates on the side of the frame without the frame in a horizontal position is harder and someone with the skill to weld the plates on would have done a better job on top, The repairs look good to me. Run it until it cracks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yeah they look ok. John is right, too. A vertical weld will tend to crack right along side the weld. The absolute best patch is actually a diamond shape. This does two things. First, there are no vertical welds to create weak spots where a crack will start. Second, there is more linear weld along the vertical surface of the frame to tie the patch to the frame. If you must use a square patch, the best practice is to weld along the top and bottom, and leave the vertical sides in welded.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts