Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO I stopped & checked out a Jeep today. I've been seeing this Jeep for about a year .. It's over in another town I go too about 5 times a year.
Now I have 2 ZJ's both Grand Cherokees. One is a 6cyl & other is a V8.
i'VE BEEN GOING TO REPLACE THE 6cyl with the V8. But dang it gets bad mileage & I've just had to do a mountain of work on it . SO I'M NOT HAPPY WITH EITHER of these 2 ZJ's.
....... But this new XJ I believe.. It's a CHEROKEE ... so I Pulled up to it & It's a 5 speed. I know it doesn't run but no clue whats wrong with it.
Questions ... Are there any 1995's that are V8. I didn't see anything Badging on it.
Since they had Dogs that didn't think I belonged.
.Questions what part interchange from Grand Cherokees to plain Cherokee ...
1995 6cyl engine I guess it'll swap over if needed.
DOES the clusters from the dash swap over . How about AC INSIDE THE DASH PARTS .
... Bucket Seats ?
RADIATOR if their both 6 cyl.
But I know the Cherokee will accept much larger tires.
RADIO DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE MINE DOESN'T WORK EITHER.
...Do the computers cause as much trouble in the Cherokees as they do in the Grands Cherokees .
....ANY OTHER PROBLEMS WITH THE FUEL PUMPS CHEROKEES . or any other parts that are always out.
......I'll check back tomorrow . As my wife in in a rehab center Recouping .
thanks

·
Premium Member
11,419 Posts
It's not a "plain Cherokee" - it's a Cherokee. Some of the driveline, and most of the front suspension & steering parts are pretty much the same between XJs and ZJs. XJ rear axles are leaf-sprung, and transmissions mostly are NOT the same; ZJs only came with stick shift for '93 and IIRC '94, XJs were available with stick shift up to '01 when production ended. Slushbox 4.0 XJs always have the Aisin Warner AW4 transmission, which is much more durable than the 42RE behind 4.0 ZJs (early- production '93 4.0s came with the AW4 as well).
XJs never came with a V8, it's a 2.5 I4 or 4.0 I6; pre '87 had different engines but they are not even worth mentioning.
As for radiator, A/C parts, interior, dash, etc., most parts do NOT swap between XJs and ZJs.
ECM is much the same, but with different pin-outs. XJs used transmission control modules, and XJs having different transmission from the ZJs they aren't compatible anyway. 4.0 engine is mostly the same; '84-'99 XJs used high pinion front axles, ZJs have lo pinion.

Generally speaking, XJs have less comfort- oriented stuff in them, which in turn means less electrical issues and less stuff to break. Limited models have power seats, power windows and power mirrors, base models may have power windows but that's about it. If you get a base model XJ with a 4.0 & auto, there's not much to worry about.

Reactions: Fernando

·
Registered
492 Posts
Pretty much what was said above. The one big thing worry about on any XJ is rust. Floors are usually the first to go, then the rockers, then the unibody rails.

You can use most of the XJ 5 speed parts in a ZJ, but it takes some modification. Pedal cluster and transfer case linkage require modification and custom driveshafts are needed.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,419 Posts
Pretty much what was said above. The one big thing worry about on any XJ is rust. Floors are usually the first to go, then the rockers, then the unibody rails.
Yeap, XJs most commonly rot on the drivers' floor near pedals, passenger front/ rear floor, around rear wheel well/ cargo floor corners and above shackle boxes. And yes, rockers too..

ZJs most commonly suffer from rust on the rockers, bottoms of a-, b- and c- pillars, and near the front LCA mounts.

You can use most of the XJ 5 speed parts in a ZJ, but it takes some modification. Pedal cluster and transfer case linkage require modification and custom driveshafts are needed.
Good thing across here is that ZJs also came with the VM 2.5 turbo diesel (same engine as later diesel XJs). The engine itself is crappy, but they were stick shift and many of them also had 231s 👍 So it's fairly easy to source an OEM ZJ stick shift pedal setup here.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Man that doesn't sound like I'm going to pursue that Cherokee VERY HARD.
As I've got 2 ZJ's . & My V8 95 ZJ had set for 2 weeks today & I went & it started right up even in the cold.
It's one of these jeeps that I bought for 300.00 $ & I expect I have $3000.00 in it now.
But it's last trip to the shop ... It seems the young man got several issues fixed.
.... SO I may just stay with this ZJ.
......... As Im about to start another project truck build .1989 D250 Dodge diesel auto 2 wheel drive .
Body off & A 1951 Ford F200 Body put on the Dodge frame..
So I believe you've answered my question fast.

THANKS .

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I paid about that for my jeeps, and put $3k into both. It’s the way it goes lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts