Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i had a bottle of power steering fluid, popped the protective seal on the bottle. It fell into the bottle. So when I poured the fluid from the bottle (with the seal floating around in it), the seal fell into the power steering reservoir.

I can't find it or fish it out with a wire coat hanger. is there any thing that this little plastic bottle seal might affect when floating around in the resevior?

Ive driven my jeep around all day with no problems no far.

i`m talking about the (factory) seals that are found on oil bottles, antifreeze bottles etc. The one under the cap that you have to break or remove before pouring the liquid out.

·
Premium Member
4,890 Posts
IMO, not a good idea. If it were me I would be pulling the reservoir for a cleaning. They are usually aluminum and cannot be easily fished out or no good with a magnet...let us know how the fishing is.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well i havent heard of anyone else admitting doing this. Ima ride on it and see what happens....if i have any problems ill pull the res bottle

Sent from my GT-N7000 using JeepForum

·
Registered
973 Posts
The fluid circulates pretty rapidly and in places its under significant pressures. In other words it doesn't just "sit there" like the brake fluid reservoir. So I don't think you'll get it out unless you do a flush. Even then it might not come out.

By power steering fluid you mean ATF+4, I hope.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well im driving to normandy tommorow .6 hrs. Wish me luck bc i dont have time to clean it out

·
Accidental Obfuscator
8,060 Posts
Man if that thing gets down there and starves the pump - it will be fried before you even know its plugged...
Turkey baster is a good idea and I agree - but it would pull the fluid leaving the paper seal stuck to the side somewhere is my most likely worry.

Probably best to pull the reservoir and dump and flush over a drain can to get a visual that the seal DID come out.

Of course its paper so its possible that it got shredded and went through the system - then you'll be loosing sleep over steering box damage.

Did I brighten your day any?

·
Registered
889 Posts
I personally would do everything possible to get that seal/paper/plastic out.
It will likely eventually get to the pump... depending how buoyant it is. Will it jam the pump? possibly! There isn't that much clearance between the pump rotor and housing...may even jam a vane..... but let's say it miraculously gets by. It will then most likely jam inside the flow regulator valve.
That's that little fitting/valve looking thing on the outlet side of the pump.

If in shreds in the pump, and under pressure it manages to clear that regulator... it will likely get to pass the valving in the steering gear as it will now be paper sludge. .or maybe not (fragments). Since I don't have experience with such an event, I can only guess Regardless how ground it gets if paper (eventually it will end up mixing like a sludge....not really a good lubricant!

Think about it....I would not want to loose PS...especially with those big tires your putting on... and not on a tight trail.

With how easy (relative to other possible eventualities) it is to remove the reservoir and remove the troublemaker, why risk it?

IMO Better to find a few minutes to remove it.....and stop dropping things in your motor....LOL - I seem to recall another foreign object left behind.:cheers2:

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Freeze plug haha yea that too! 800 highway miles so far and no problems. Drove to normandy france and now back in london

·
Registered
66 Posts
This is what I was gonna say just not as detailed lol :rofl:

I personally would do everything possible to get that seal/paper/plastic out.
It will likely eventually get to the pump... depending how buoyant it is. Will it jam the pump? possibly! There isn't that much clearance between the pump rotor and housing...may even jam a vane..... but let's say it miraculously gets by. It will then most likely jam inside the flow regulator valve.
That's that little fitting/valve looking thing on the outlet side of the pump.

If in shreds in the pump, and under pressure it manages to clear that regulator... it will likely get to pass the valving in the steering gear as it will now be paper sludge. .or maybe not (fragments). Since I don't have experience with such an event, I can only guess Regardless how ground it gets if paper (eventually it will end up mixing like a sludge....not really a good lubricant!

Think about it....I would not want to loose PS...especially with those big tires your putting on... and not on a tight trail.

With how easy (relative to other possible eventualities) it is to remove the reservoir and remove the troublemaker, why risk it?

IMO Better to find a few minutes to remove it.....and stop dropping things in your motor....LOL - I seem to recall another foreign object left behind.:cheers2:

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
On the right side or wrong side of the road?
Well france is on thr right side. England is the wrong side. I posted pics on my build thread. When i get a chance one day ima dump the resi bottle before that aluminum thing decinegrates

·
Accidental Obfuscator
8,060 Posts
Well france is on thr right side.
Thats why I asked - I couldnt seem to adapt - let alone that quickly.

I think they threw a big party to celebrate my leaving when I visited Au!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yea when i came back to england...i had to keep saying to myself....left side leftside

1 - 16 of 16 Posts