Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all. I own a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee with about 102,000 miles on it.

I am planning on getting the fluids changed but have a few questions.

I am unsure of if / when any of the fluids have been changed, other than the oil.

I've heard that after a certain point of mileage it is best to keep the fluid that you have rather than changing it.

I want to change the
Front Diff. Fluid
Rear Diff. Fluid
Transfer Case Fluid
Transmission Fluid
Power Steering Fluid
Coolant Fluid
Brake Fluid

I plan on taking it to a shop to have these done, but with the mileage are there any that I should not do, and keep the same fluid?

·
My Reality Check Bounced
19,791 Posts
Change them all.

There is discussion on transmission fluid as you drain away friction material. So shops drop the pan and change the filter, leaving a lot of oil in the torque converter. Thats plenty of friction material. You don't want to flush the transmission fluid out entirely.

The 2012 will have HOAT antifreeze, make sure they use something compatible.

Some shops use so called universal transmission fluid. You need to specify if you want the ATF+4 type Jeep recommends

Reactions: bryanintowson

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
What 4WD system do you have? The basic AWD system Transfer case uses ATF+4 and not gear oil like the diffs. check your owner's manual because getting it wrong could be expensive.

Unless you are aware of problems I wouldn't bother changing the steering fluid. On older vehicles, the pressurized fluid swap can blow the seals on the steering rack and they are not as easy to swap as you would think.

·
Registered
301 Posts
What ColdCase said. Change everything because you don't know the service history. It's an ounce of prevention that is better than a few thousand dollars of cure.

·
Registered
933 Posts
My transfer case does not use ATF+4. I just checked. It has no smell, while ATF has a distinct smell.

Got a quart of Oreillys Dexron VI. This has no smell and is light red color.

I need a fluid pump to finish the fluid change though. Old stuff is kinda brown like dirty oil.

·
My Reality Check Bounced
19,791 Posts
The 2012 vintage WK2 QTI (V6) transfer cases uses Shell 3353 or equivalent. QTII (V8) uses ATF+4. Dif use 75W-85 GL-5 Synthetic. If you have ELSD, there is also a friction modifier.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi ColdCase and all, I have a 2011 wk2 with the QT1 (mp2010 single speed) and my user guide specify MOPAR ATF+4 automatic transmission fluid or equivalent licensed AT+4 product. (about 0.5 L)
I have been told that in doubt always trust what is specified in your user guide for your vehicle that came with it new.

·
My Reality Check Bounced
19,791 Posts
2011 0wners manual:
Font Number Document Screenshot

2015 manual:

Font Number Parallel Screenshot Document

Maybe Canada is different but it looks like the US single speed QTI gets 3353, the two speed QTII gets ATF+4

·
Registered
301 Posts
When I need fluids I just go to my local Dodge/ Chrysler/ Jeep dealer's parts desk. I give them the VIN and they give me exactly the right stuff. It costs a tad more than at the parts store but the peace of mind knowing my Jeep is getting the right parts is worth it.

·
My Reality Check Bounced
19,791 Posts
This was posted awhile ago:

ATF approved to MB 236.10, MB 236.12, such as Shell ATF 3403/M-115, Fuchs/Shell ATF 3353, or equivalent. Mopar® p/n 05127382AA (1 quart)

·
My Reality Check Bounced
19,791 Posts
Yeah, some early 2011 users guides are incorrect. Not sure about the owners manual, but by rev 4 the owners manual was fixed. I think they mistakenly carried over the WK language.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Yep, that's what my owners manual says. ATF+4 for the transfer case. I don't have the select drive dealio. No selec trac.

Smelled my TC fluid, didn't smell like ATF+4 at all. No smell actually. :unsure:

My OM is small. This one is huge.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Interesting indeed, well I did 2 transfer case fluid (ATF+4) changes in 180,000 km. At least their both automatic transmission fluid :rolleyes:
I think the owners manual is wrong because it does not specify the TC model, you could have one of several TC model for the 3.6L and the 5.7L

·
My Reality Check Bounced
19,791 Posts
The WK2 uses only two TC models, the base open diff QTI that only goes behind the V6 gas, and the clutched QTII that goes behind all V8s and diesels and is optional on V6s. SRTs and Trackhawks use a QTII variant. If you are not aware of that, the owner's manual and user guide wording can be interpreted in a couple different ways.

There are a couple different spec'd auto transmission variations.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts