Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a week area with rust in the frame. I know the frame is galvanized and how to make the fish plates. I need to know what plate metal I should buy. Thickness and grade. also what to use to seal it when I'm done. Thanks for any help from you knowledgeable people. the jeep info is in my signature

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
well I have not gotten to this yet. as rust goes there is always more than you see. I going to cut out what bad. first I going to go in threw the floor to get a better look and plate in the channel.I make a box 3 sided for the inside and a piece for the top of the box. Its not good to weld every thing solid it will temper the steel which really is not the right term anneal. I say temper the steel because it the first part of tempering steel heating it. then I'll get under it cut the frame rot out. Patch that with a piece of steel that matches the gauge of the frame. I read so many post on the thickness of the frame I'm going to have to put a caliper on it just to be sure. its always easier to weld thin steel together if they are close to the same mill. then I'm go with a 1/8 3 sided box on the outside bent and drilled for plug welding but even there I will skip weld. I wish I new for sure what the frame thickness was before I start. it would speed things along. thanks for the reply any help is a plus for me.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Watch the fumes when welding anything galvanized, bad stuff. Make sure you got a fan going and don't have your head directly above it or in which ever way the fumes are being ventilated.

Sent from my SM-A015A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wear a mask and will do it outside fan if needed. Thanks for watching out for me!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.