Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I've mentioned in a few other threads that I just purchased my first Jeep. It's an 06 X. I purchased because I was able to get the best deal on it, rather than its offroad capabilities compared to the other trim levels. It will be my daily driver and it will stay almost completely stock (save some minor additions, like speed control and maybe an upgraded rearview mirror) till it's warranty is up 5 years from now.

So, although it's stock, I do want to try out some light offroading with it, as it is a Jeep after all. I was wondering if there were any tips you might have as far as what type of trails I should look for in a stock Jeep, and what items I should have along with me. Are there any small mods that won't void my warranty that I should consider (such as tow hooks)?

Finally, are there any resources for finding good trails in my area?

·
If Jeeps could fly...
480 Posts
You might check the wheelin' section. I haven't found many trails in the Jax area, I'm going to check out Palatka in a bit, I've spotted some trails, but that's about it for what I've seen. Jax has mud and sand, and I don't want to bring my Jeep on the beach.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Pretty much everywhere I go wheeling, tow points (hooks or a hitch receiver with shackle) are mandatory. After that you'll at least want to consider some armor to protect your investment. A steering box skid and an engine/ transmission skid were my first additions. Nothing is worse than getting a rock or tree stump ripping a hole in your oil pan or steering box and leaving you stranded. Next you might want to get diff skids or heavy duty covers. They are the lowest point on the Jeep after all. After all that, you'll probably start thinking of rocker protection so you don't damage the tub coming down on a rock. None of these mods should void a warranty, but will help protect other things from breaking. That's where I would start if I were you.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
You could get away with some 31" all terrain's without a lift and that will in no way void your warranty... Remember offroading is all about tires baby!!

·
Registered
264 Posts
solbergg said:
... It will be my daily driver and it will stay almost completely stock (save some minor additions, like speed control and maybe an upgraded rearview mirror) till it's warranty is up 5 years from now.
I said the same thing ... but then you taste mud and rocks and something happens to you. Maybe you bump your head on the rollbar during that first trip or something. Suddenly spending food money for the month on the new [insert mod here] seems so natural.

Take my advice ... seek professional help before it's too late ... or ... drink the coolaid and enjoy the ride :wave:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hey Bud,
Check out my 4wd club's website for some tips. It's not exhaustive, but a good start.

http://www.espritdefour.com
Look at the "Driving tips" & "Equipment Checklist" (recommended)

I guess the one thing that I'd mention right off, is do not go alone, and go with some one preferably responsible and experienced.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
1BadJeepX06 said:
You could get away with some 31" all terrain's without a lift and that will in no way void your warranty... Remember offroading is all about tires baby!!
Actually, thats totalyl false. You have to have the items installed at the DEALER and sign some paperwork. Otherwise you will wind up like I did. Stock Jeep with broken dana35 spider gears and R&P, they did not and would not cover it under warranty because of my 31" BFG's...sited them as "massive".

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
JeepinYahoo said:
Actually, thats totalyl false. You have to have the items installed at the DEALER and sign some paperwork. Otherwise you will wind up like I did. Stock Jeep with broken dana35 spider gears and R&P, they did not and would not cover it under warranty because of my 31" BFG's...sited them as "massive".
lots of people have had repairs covered with 31" tires. You got screwed if that is the only reason they had. Didnt you say before you offroad VERY VERY hard??? seems like I remember you saying that?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
JeepinYahoo said:
You dont have to go to the dealer to get tires installed. You can go anywhere for that. And they cant deny your warranty because of the tires. If they can prove that you were abusing your vehicle or the vehicle was in an accident then yes they can void the warranty and you have to pay or go thru your insurance. But if not, the said warranty is in effect and you dont have to pay anything to get it fixed.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
FLATFENDER54 said:
lots of people have had repairs covered with 31" tires. You got screwed if that is the only reason they had. Didnt you say before you offroad VERY VERY hard??? seems like I remember you saying that?
No, you are the only one that keeps saying that. I didnt get into the whole rockcrawling thing untill I got my 44 and locker. ALSO, they said the reason the axle failed was due to the aftermarket tires. They fixed my transmission a few months prior with no problems with the 31's. The only parts of the vehicle the tires void is the axles and maybe the driveshafts and t-case. They could argue that the rubi has 31's and thus needs the upgraded equipment or something. Basically if you add 31's and your AC goes out, you wont have trouble getting it fixed. However if you destroy and axle, you may have trouble. I was cruising on the road at 30 mph in 3rd gear, with open diffs and like I said, 31's. I also hadnt been in the woods in over a month. Not necisarily the definition of extreme when I was, just some mud.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
I remember your words, as do others, that you typed in your replys - but not gonna argue. You made it sound like they just blew apart for no reason while driving down the road on pavement in 2wd but when questioned more you admitted to being "abusive" offroad and you always leave that part out of your story. "my dana 35 blew apart for no reason"

·
Registered
465 Posts
Jeepin, yeah in a lot of the posts in other threads in the past, you do make it sound like you were just driving down the road with nothing but just 31's and no offroading wear on it and it just broken down on its own. If it did, maybe yours were defective (idk) I really haven't heard much any people talking about d35s just clunking out with just 31's on the road.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
I always bring a little food and water - portable 12v aircompressor and a few tools. I bring a throw away tyvek(sp?) suit incase I have to get under jeep and get all dirty. Hi-lift jack, leather gloves, GPS, rope, tow strap, matches,shovel and an axe, extra gas- im probably forgetting half the stuff I bring but thats most of it

·
Registered
783 Posts
Your stock TJ will do well without any mods. But as a couple have mentioned recovery points/basic recovery gear and some mild armor aren't a bad idea. It was also suggested to me years ago to never wheel alone. I'd pass that along to you as well...at least until you become somewhat knowledgable of wheelin' and basic safety/common sense. Many of the clubs will have new wheelin' events designed specifically for stock rigs. I'd recommend searching your area for some clubs and check into them as well.

Personally I think it's a good idea you wheel your rig stock and get the feel for it and what it's capable of. For me it didn't take long for the "Mod Bug" to bite me. :( I hope you find the fun that most of us find in wheelin'. I swore I'd never go larger than 31's, and here I am on 35's now. :dunno:

Good luck.
;)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all of the great tips, all. I thought the tyvek suit was an especially clever idea as well.

Tires do seem like a sweet upgrade, especially since I could keep a set of street wheels and offroad wheels when I knew I was going to be doing some more serious wheeling. I'm still a little afraid of it though as I hear back and forth whether or not the Dana 35 can handle them. I also have an open differential and the stock 3.07 gearing, so I'm at the worst starting point for putting them on.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
1BadJeepX06 said:
very false.

I wheeled on 30's for along time before going any bigger. Went everyplace my buddies did with 33's and 35's (rubi's). Wheeled all types of places... tire size helps alot however your line is always what offroading in about.

·
Registered
673 Posts
solbergg said:
Hey all,

I've mentioned in a few other threads that I just purchased my first Jeep. It's an 06 X. I purchased because I was able to get the best deal on it, rather than its offroad capabilities compared to the other trim levels. It will be my daily driver and it will stay almost completely stock (save some minor additions, like speed control and maybe an upgraded rearview mirror) till it's warranty is up 5 years from now.

Ummm, the warranty on the '06 is 3 years, not 5 years. At least that's what it was on mine, also an '06 X, purchased in September.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Ok seriously.. A D35 can handle 31's... The dealer installed my 3" BL and 33" BFG A/T's and included them in the pricing... Three were sitting on the lot with these same modifications... They warrantied everything.. Due to the fact that my suspension was not altered... When I had the coil spacers installed, I contacted my dealer and notified them and made them sign an affidavit saying that my warranty was still active... Now as for the Hypertech programming that I had done to it... That is a whole nother bushel of nuts... I do believe that a set of 31's will help you out big time when it comes to some mild offroading.. Compared to the stockers than an 'X' model comes with..

DH

·
Registered
673 Posts
Or, if you don't want to install a larger tire, just trade to an all terrain tire of a smaller size, like the BFG A/T KO 30x9.5. That made a big difference for me over the stock 215x75 Goodyears.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.