Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm new to Jeeps, didn't know I wanted one until I had to drive a lot at work, so after work on Friday I bought an '01 Wrangler Sport (5 Speed) and I love it. I had been in the market for a mid-late 80's Toyota SR5 Xcab pickup but the market on those like most things right now is terrible.

I joined here for trying to connect with the Jeep community and to learn from y'all. Oh, and the Jeep wave was so strong that even driving Wrangler's at work I'd get a wave. Kinda nice and unexpected, I do miss that kinda thing from when I used to have a motorcycle.

This Jeep is gonna really need some TLC, first up is trying to clear up my back window or possibly replacing the soft top then a winch.

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle

· Think Outside the Catalog
10,630 Posts
Don't spend money on a winch unless you actually plan to go off-road. Same goes for larger tires and such. Buy what you actually need, not what you think makes the Jeep look cool.

· Registered
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't spend money on a winch unless you actually plan to go off-road. Same goes for larger tires and such. Buy what you actually need, not what you think makes the Jeep look cool.
I actually do plan to do some off roading. When the weather gets warm again, I plan to find some nice remote spots if I can around me to go camping.

10,630 Posts
I actually do plan to do some off roading.
Then I'd recommend finding the local real world club. Then go on a few day rides with them to get the feel for what to do and what you may need. It's also a lot safer for a novice to have help with issues if needed.

· Registered
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Then I'd recommend finding the local real world club. Then go on a few day rides with them to get the feel for what to do and what you may need. It's also a lot safer for a novice to have help with issues if needed.
I looked around but it seems my area no longer has any local groups.

10,630 Posts
Thats too bad, they are a great way to start. I'd still suggest not going out alone as the only vehicle, especially in the beginning. Over the years I've run across and helped a huge number of solo vehicles stuck in over their heads.

· Registered
2012 Jeep Wrangler JK Unlimited Sport Dozer 4 Door
39 Posts
Hello Voivre, welcome to the Jeepin community. I think you will find a lot of friendly people with advice on any questions you might have. I have been driving jeeps since I got a 1970 Jeepster while stationed in Denver Co. in 1972. Have owned three more since and love the one I have now. There is a definite need for a winch if you plan to go offroad alone because if you get a jeep stuck, you are really stuck. In my opinion, a winch is the first priority and then work on any "nice to have items". Definitely. before going offroad, make yourself a travel kit. At a minimum, a shovel, a basic tool set, some plastic to lay on if need be, a jack and a scrap of wood to place the jack on because if you are stuck, the ground will probably be soft. This a basic list and you can make your own based on the area where you are located.
Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire Land vehicle
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Sky Car

Attached are two pics of mine. Good luck with your new ride.

· Registered
76 Posts
Hello Voivre, welcome to the Jeepin community. I think you will find a lot of friendly people with advice on any questions you might have. I have been driving jeeps since I got a 1970 Jeepster while stationed in Denver Co. in 1972. Have owned three more since and love the one I have now. There is a definite need for a winch if you plan to go offroad alone because if you get a jeep stuck, you are really stuck. In my opinion, a winch is the first priority and then work on any "nice to have items". Definitely. before going offroad, make yourself a travel kit. At a minimum, a shovel, a basic tool set, some plastic to lay on if need be, a jack and a scrap of wood to place the jack on because if you are stuck, the ground will probably be soft. This a basic list and you can make your own based on the area where you are located. View attachment 4147048 View attachment 4147049
Attached are two pics of mine. Good luck with your new ride.
Good Comments from our friend here. When he references a jack, he is talking about a highlift jack. It is a different kind of jacked than you would normally use to jack up a car. This one is especially helpful because it can also be used as a winch in a pinch. Make sure that you have recovery points on both the front and rear of your Jeep. Getting stock is not “if” it is “winComments from our friend here. When he references a jack, he is talking about a highlift jack. It is a different kind of jacked than you would normally use to jack up a car. This one is especially helpful because it can also be used as a winch in a pinch. Make sure that you have recovery points on both the front and rear of your Jeep. Getting stock is not “if” it is “when”. I don’t know if he mentioned bringing communication devices when you go off Roading so that you can call back to somebody for help. Also, tell someone else where you are going and the general area you will be. Just in case trouble happens, there will be somebody to help you out.

Also, when you go off Roading, bring water… A whole case of bottled water is not too much to bring. Be smart when you’re exploring, choose your lines over obstacles and always think of where you will point your Jeep if you have to winch yourself out.

I can see you definitely have the bug to go off Roading. If you follow these tips and the tips of other jeepers on this thread, you should be off to a good and safe start.
In closing, if money is no issue then put a winch on your front bumper (at least 9,500 lb) and buy a highlift jack in case you can only winch yourself out backwards.

For your recovery kit, I would suggest two soft shackles, at least one heavy duty tow strap (non-kinetic is fine), A basic tool kit, leatherman multi tool, communication device (cell phone AND handheld radio), water, handheld flashlight, headlight.

· Registered
2012 Jeep Wrangler JK Unlimited Sport Dozer 4 Door
39 Posts
Good Comments from our friend here. When he references a jack, he is talking about a highlift jack. It is a different kind of jacked than you would normally use to jack up a car. This one is especially helpful because it can also be used as a winch in a pinch. Make sure that you have recovery points on both the front and rear of your Jeep. Getting stock is not “if” it is “winComments from our friend here. When he references a jack, he is talking about a highlift jack. It is a different kind of jacked than you would normally use to jack up a car. This one is especially helpful because it can also be used as a winch in a pinch. Make sure that you have recovery points on both the front and rear of your Jeep. Getting stock is not “if” it is “when”. I don’t know if he mentioned bringing communication devices when you go off Roading so that you can call back to somebody for help. Also, tell someone else where you are going and the general area you will be. Just in case trouble happens, there will be somebody to help you out.

Also, when you go off Roading, bring water… A whole case of bottled water is not too much to bring. Be smart when you’re exploring, choose your lines over obstacles and always think of where you will point your Jeep if you have to winch yourself out.

I can see you definitely have the bug to go off Roading. If you follow these tips and the tips of other jeepers on this thread, you should be off to a good and safe start.
In closing, if money is no issue then put a winch on your front bumper (at least 9,500 lb) and buy a highlift jack in case you can only winch yourself out backwards.

For your recovery kit, I would suggest two soft shackles, at least one heavy duty tow strap (non-kinetic is fine), A basic tool kit, leatherman multi tool, communication device (cell phone AND handheld radio), water, handheld flashlight, headlight.
All good advice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.