Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just thought I’d ask for opinions from those of you who already own XJs and know them well. I reconditioned the engine on mine and replaced the entire suspension, and just took it for the first drive since I bought it back in July. 2000 XJ, 4WD, 4.0 L 6i. Here’s what I noticed:

1. Engine sounds powerful but the car didn’t “feel” all that powerful
2. Acceleration isn’t great.
3. Lurch in first gear if I hit gas too hard.

How much of this is normal for an XJ? wondering if my cat is clogged ansi need a new one.

·
Registered
73 Posts
i could only guess.
bought mine,00, at 177000 and it surprises me, 4.0 is smooth and very gutsie,very strong, shifts great. better than my 99 wj.
i do oil maint. never saw a jeep spark plug.
now at 180000. runs like new, love it.

oh i need tranny drain. what juice is right, been a while...

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It has new plugs, new coil pack (no distributor on 2000 xjs) new injectors, new heat shielding for injectors and wires, etc. I just reconditioned the engine too - new bearings and rings, new lifters and rocker arms, rehoned cylinders. Before taking it on its first break in drive I checked transmission fluid levels: all good. But after 50 miles of driving I checked again just now: low by a full quart. I had changed transmission fluid and filter, and the vehicle sat while I worked on engine and is it possible that more transmission fluid drained out of the pump than I realized when I serviced it? If so, it’s been running a quart low for 50 miles.

I hope I didn’t just burn up my ****ing tranny. I’m an idiot. 😢

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
It has new plugs, new coil pack (no distributor on 2000 xjs) new injectors, new heat shielding for injectors and wires, etc. I just reconditioned the engine too - new bearings and rings, new lifters and rocker arms, rehoned cylinders. Before taking it on its first break in drive I checked transmission fluid levels: all good. But after 50 miles of driving I checked again just now: low by a full quart. I had changed transmission fluid and filter, and the vehicle sat while I worked on engine and is it possible that more transmission fluid drained out of the pump than I realized when I serviced it? If so, it's been running a quart low for 50 miles.

I hope I didn't just burn up my ****ing tranny. I'm an idiot. 😢
I doubt it. Check running, hot, in neutral, on level ground.
Go easy adding fluid cause the level climbs up the dipstick faster then you realize. LOL.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I doubt it. Check running, hot, in neutral, on level ground.
Go easy adding fluid cause the level climbs up the dipstick faster then you realize. LOL.
I hope it's ok! Is that the proper way to check Tran fluid levels in xjs? Never owned a jeep before and I should've asked earlier.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I hope it's ok! Is that the proper way to check Tran fluid levels in xjs? Never owned a jeep before and I should've asked earlier.
I don't see a problem about a quart.
I think the whole system takes 9 quarts dry so...
That is the way I check it. Pretty sure it says it right on my dipstick.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't see a problem about a quart.
I think the whole system takes 9 quarts dry so...
That is the way I check it. Pretty sure it says it right on my dipstick.
Well shoot. I can try cleaning the throttle body, replace tps, check aw4 solenoids. But I was hoping this was a low fluid issue because I'm starting to get a sinking feeling that my transmission needs rebuilding. 😢 I'll try driving her again tomorrow and see if adding fluid did anything.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Well shoot. I can try cleaning the throttle body, replace tps, check aw4 solenoids. But I was hoping this was a low fluid issue because I'm starting to get a sinking feeling that my transmission needs rebuilding. 😢 I'll try driving her again tomorrow and see if adding fluid did anything.
Is there some sort of problem you mentioned that I missed?
Cleaning the throttle body is always a good idea but replacing the TPS and checking the solenoids?

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is there some sort of problem you mentioned that I missed?
Cleaning the throttle body is always a good idea but replacing the TPS and checking the solenoids?
Shoot; you didn't mis it I forgot to update. Yesterday the problem got worse: would not go into first or reverse until it warmed up, and then wouldn't get much power until it reached operating temp.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Shoot; you didn't mis it I forgot to update. Yesterday the problem got worse: would not go into first or reverse until it warmed up, and then wouldn't get much power until it reached operating temp.
That makes much more sense now.
I think there is a test for the TPS so before start throwing parts at the Jeep you might want to poke around about that.
Otherwise diagnosing stuff like this is a little over my head. LOL.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That makes much more sense now.
I think there is a test for the TPS so before start throwing parts at the Jeep you might want to poke around about that.
Otherwise diagnosing stuff like this is a little over my head. LOL.
Thx I'll look. For anyone else, what's happening now is that when I start up the jeep, it will go into reverse or first but will not engage. Instead, if I take my foot off brake and apply gas, it revs, but that's it. The car will roll in the direction gravity takes it. After it warms up a little, the transmission starts to engage and I get some power. Full performance is only achieved once I approach operating temp; then transmission works perfectly. No burnt tranny fluid. Kickback cable has been adjusted. Has anyone heard of a tsb that referred to a transmisssion line needing replacement because it had a tight bend that would clog, only becoming unclogged once transmission warmed up?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts