Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am rebuilding a 1985 Scrambler and something I was considering was an on-board fire suppression system. Has anyone ever designed, built, or installed one? Here is a pic
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
226 Posts
Might be overkill vs. a good fire extinguisher, but no reason you can't include one if you want it. Go to Summit or Pegasus, or one of the other common places, and look at the AFFF systems for racecars. The basic systems are pretty user friendly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Might be overkill vs. a good fire extinguisher, but no reason you can't include one if you want it. Go to Summit or Racequip, or one of the other common places, and look at the AFFF systems for racecars. The basic systems are pretty user friendly.
I agree, it could easily be seen as overkill but I have a lot of money in my Scrambler, plus one might be in a situation, especially off road, where an extinguisher may not be available.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Next decision, then, might be what system to get... 2 nozzles? 3 nozzles? The racecar guys usually go with a nozzle in the engine compartment, and one either in the driver's compartment or fuel tank area. I think the activation can be either manual or automatic. If manual, you need to decide where the handle will be. They usually have some kind of safety pin in them, which the racers remove before starting the race, and put back in after. Would be good to come up with some kind of regular plan for when that pin will be removed...

Might be a cool addition to your rig, and a great safety item, if not a very common one for a street driven vehicle. If you end up going with it, would be neat to see a thread detailing the installation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Next decision, then, might be what system to get... 2 nozzles? 3 nozzles? The racecar guys usually go with a nozzle in the engine compartment, and one either in the driver's compartment or fuel tank area. I think the activation can be either manual or automatic. If manual, you need to decide where the handle will be. They usually have some kind of safety pin in them, which the racers remove before starting the race, and put back in after. Would be good to come up with some kind of regular plan for when that pin will be removed...

Might be a cool addition to your rig, and a great safety item, if not a very common one for a street driven vehicle. If you end up going with it, would be neat to see a thread detailing the installation.
I definitely will keep you posted. I was talking with my son and he was saying how people don't think about how chaotic a fire can be so we decided to either come up with or design a system. I know someone at Hiller Fire Supply and I'm going to talk to him. If you are aware of any systems I might consider please let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of any particular system. I used to do technical and safety inspection for SCCA many years ago, so that's where my tiny bit of general knowledge comes from. Not familiar with using these in 4x4s or street-driven vehicles.

Back when I was doing that, Halon and AFFF were the predominant things. Halon has gone away, I think, due to some kind of environmental regulation or something. I think they have a replacement of some sort for it now, though. Halon was good because it didn't make a huge mess on everything if you had to activate it, but it worked by robbing oxygen from the fire. If it's in the passenger compartment, it can also rob oxygen from the people too, though, so that's a thought. I would guess that the replacement is the same in that regard. AFFF is a foam that smothers the fire with a kinda soapy film. It also makes a huge mess. Might be a bit safer for the occupants, though. I think that if you have to activate your fire suppression system, making a mess is the least of your worries.

If you have a friend in the fire business, might be useful to ask him some of these questions about the plusses and minuses of the different types that are available. I'm just going off of fuzzy memories of doing that stuff years ago. If you have a racing supply shop in your area, they might be able to help with questions about that too, and even provide technical support if you buy your equipment from them.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I am rebuilding a 1985 Scrambler and something I was considering was an on-board fire suppression system. Has anyone ever designed, built, or installed one? Here is a pic View attachment 4132783

This whole build is worth reading, but WindKnot installed a BlazeCut USA system. Quick look seems pretty reasonable for the protection.

Very nice 8, looks really good

1 - 7 of 7 Posts