Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
141 - 160 of 300 Posts

·
-N7PBJ
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
Brush cables?

So your a lifer now! :congrats:
I dunno what to call 'em, they run from the front of the hood to the roof or rack to lift branches as you drive overgrown roads/trails. Helps protect antennas and snorkel air horn.

Here's a pic I found, shamelessly stolen at random from a Google image search for "Limb Risers"

Seems some go from the fender corners, but my rack is a little narrow for that, I wouldn't be able to open the hood with the cables in place, so I'm going to the hood corners.

Lifer, yeah. I've been working some insane overtime lately and figured this site has saved me many times that amount in parts costs & frustration in the last few years.

·
-N7PBJ
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 · (Edited)
Got the limb lifting cables on last night.

Does anyone else remember how hard that first hole or cut was? It just keeps getting easier! :rofl:

Simple design, u-bolt on rack, smaller u-bolt through corner of hood. Thimbles, because I have done too much rigging to make a wire rope eye without 'em. Turnbuckle for adjusting tension, bent lower eye sideways enough to allow it to lift off u-bolt. Shrink tubing to contain tag ends, no whiskers to get stabbed on.

Finished product.

Snorkel horn is still slightly exposed, but much less likely to get ripped off by brush now.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Does the hood still open and close normally?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
-N7PBJ
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·
Does the hood still open and close normally?
This is another reason I included turnbuckles, back off the tension a little, cables simply droop as the hood raises.

Another advantage of having roached paint, I'm not worried about any little surface scratches the hardware might add to the surface...>:)

I'll try to get a hood-up pic later, weather isn't cooperating right now.

·
-N7PBJ
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
No pics & not much of a story either, but I pulled the condenser from in front of the radiator today. Took a little finagling to get it out without pulling the radiator, but... always bet on "old age & treachery". :rofl:

First, the fog lights & mounts had to come off to allow access to the grill. Then the upper radiator mount had to come out, meaning shroud & electric fan needed to come un-bolted. After all this, I had to cut the lower mounts with a cut-off wheel & trim back the lines to get 'em out from under the upper radiator hose.

Then, out the top the condenser came.

Took a little more effort than the story reflects, but now when I look through the grill. all I see is tranny cooler & radiator. Summer is a ways off, but I'm sure this'll help (at least it shouldn't hurt...).

·
-N7PBJ
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
Changed diff fluid in both ends. Oil looked fine, darker in the rear, which is to be expected. Some small metal particles from the newish gears finishing their break-in.

Took this opportunity to touch up the front cover a bit.

That looked so much better that I decided I'd attempt a two-tone on the rear cover. Seeing as I didn't have any paint to work with, this presented a challenge. I ended up spraying some gloss black spray paint into a paper cup & going at it with a disposable brush. The red was done with a paint pen, the label showed a much brighter color. Turned out more of a salmon than a red.

Attachments

·
-N7PBJ
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 ·
I need those mud flaps lol
They look a little like postage stamps behind the 37s, but they stop an amazing amount of spray.

No tickets yet either, which was one of the reasons I built 'em. :rofl: (truth be told, seeing the amount of spray I was throwing before the mud flaps & TJ flares... I wouldn't have wanted to drive behind me! ;))

·
GIVE IT THE ONION
6,465 Posts
un4gvn1 said:
They look a little like postage stamps behind the 37s, but they stop an amazing amount of spray. No tickets yet either, which was one of the reasons I built 'em. :rofl: (truth be told, seeing the amount of spray I was throwing before the mud flaps & TJ flares... I wouldn't have wanted to drive behind me! ;))
yup

Attachments

·
-N7PBJ
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 ·
Bought a "trail saw". It'll get used 'round the house too, large branches that fall out of the few trees we have will get sectioned up & used for backyard fires this summer. I bought the pole saw in this tool line, was so impressed I pulled the trigger on this unit.

40 volt chainsaw

Mostly it'll replace the 14" gas saw I've been packing around when wheeling, no more gas smell in the way-back!!

·
-N7PBJ
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 ·
Replaced my belt idler tonight, the OE unit was starting to make a bit of noise. The bearing actually didn't feel that bad at all after I got it off. The new one is a LOT quieter, so that's all for the good. I'll probably buy a bearing & press into the old pulley and have a "rebuilt" spare on hand.

That done, I finally got around to putting a switch on the ground to the underhood light. With the hood hinge spacers, I learned that the underhood light flashes when going over bumps (who knew?). Wasn't a problem before I could see under the hood, but is somewhat distracting now that the rear of the hood is gapped up, so I've been running with it unplugged.

Toggle switch is simpler. I'm sure I'll end up replacing this with a better quality switch at some point, but for now this will be just fine. ;)

Attachments

·
-N7PBJ
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·
Did the C101 delete mod tonight.

CRUISER'S MOSTLY RENIX TIPS, C101 Elimination

Lots-o-soldering, but taking 'em one at a time and carefully making sure to cut the same wire on both sides of the connector is key. There were a couple of wires that you'd swear were different colors on each side, simply because one side is more protected from the elements.

Attachments

141 - 160 of 300 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.