Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody used one of these overlay panels? They are available on ebay, haven't seen them anywhere else. I have four oem fenders and i think these would fix all four up nicely.

Attachments

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It's been a while but thought I would close this loop. I did use two of the overlay panels, driver and passenger side and they did work out well for me. I was able to save my original fenders using them. They are still available on ebay. The rear part of the fender is also available on ebay (see pic below) and I used those on both sides too. They are advertising these as NOS but I'm a bit skeptical about that, seems like there would be some light rust on a panel that old. Regardless, they matched oem very well and are the right gauge. Wasn't hard to use them either, just drill out the old spot welds and clamp and well these in place.

Wood Chair Composite material Rectangle Natural material

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The upper part of the fender is available on ebay as well, listed as NOS. You could almost build a
complete new fender with correct gauge metal. The only part you have to save is the inner wheel housing.

Window Wood Automotive exterior Tints and shades Hardwood

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here are pictures of the fenders installed, one right after painting. If you look closely at the driver fender you can see the overlay panel is a little off along the bottom edge and the long curve along the fender lip is not perfect. The lower edge imperfection is hidden by the TJ Rubicon rocker guards that I cut down to fit. Though not perfect I am happy with the result, I ended up with rust free fenders that are very close to oem in appearance and are the correct gauge metal. For both fenders I used the overlay panel and lower section that are listed on ebay.

Tire Vehicle Car Wheel Grille
Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I used the cover plate and the one under it to repair my fenders that you mentioned. They both fit perfect and I do believe the second post picture was NOS. One of the panels lacked fender flare holes but that was wasn't hard to add in.

See post 62 in my rebuild thread Josh's 1985 CJ7 Restoration.

hope this helps!
Nice work and good documentation. I did basically the very same thing as you did. Those panels are a great way to save your original fenders.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts