Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody used one of these overlay panels? They are available on ebay, haven't seen them anywhere else. I have four oem fenders and i think these would fix all four up nicely.

Attachments

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It's been a while but thought I would close this loop. I did use two of the overlay panels, driver and passenger side and they did work out well for me. I was able to save my original fenders using them. They are still available on ebay. The rear part of the fender is also available on ebay (see pic below) and I used those on both sides too. They are advertising these as NOS but I'm a bit skeptical about that, seems like there would be some light rust on a panel that old. Regardless, they matched oem very well and are the right gauge. Wasn't hard to use them either, just drill out the old spot welds and clamp and well these in place.

Wood Chair Composite material Rectangle Natural material

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The upper part of the fender is available on ebay as well, listed as NOS. You could almost build a
complete new fender with correct gauge metal. The only part you have to save is the inner wheel housing.

Window Wood Automotive exterior Tints and shades Hardwood

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here are pictures of the fenders installed, one right after painting. If you look closely at the driver fender you can see the overlay panel is a little off along the bottom edge and the long curve along the fender lip is not perfect. The lower edge imperfection is hidden by the TJ Rubicon rocker guards that I cut down to fit. Though not perfect I am happy with the result, I ended up with rust free fenders that are very close to oem in appearance and are the correct gauge metal. For both fenders I used the overlay panel and lower section that are listed on ebay.

Tire Vehicle Car Wheel Grille
Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire

·
Registered
122 Posts
Those look very nice and far superior to the aftermarket ones I purchased.
I needed two front fenders for a complete repaint and couldn’t find a used OEM pair locally. I ordered a pair of Crown fenders from Qudratech and they arrived in a box labeled King Cobra of Taiwan. The quality was terrible, miss aligned panels, exposed rivets, dents and dings. I returned them and ordered a pair Omix-Ada from 4WD Hardware. Those arrived in boxes labeled King Cobra and were the same terrible quality. I sent those back and ordered a pair from Classic Industries, those also arrived in boxes labeled King Cobra and again were complete junk. Clearly, all aftermarket fenders come from King Cobra of Taiwan a company with no regard for quality, or fit. I kept the last set and had a body shop completely reworked them at considerable cost out of my pocket.
Lesson learned.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Seems everybody shoots my stuff down......My stuff has been working for me since 1981.

I've had that 1st hand experience with the fender panels starting to rust, mostly around the edges

and having that jagged look. In the past, having them repaired and repainted.......as my abilities grew,

I repaired and repainted them.

No matter what you do, if your rig lives outside as my "5" does, this is something that,

with no doubt, will have you doing it over and over as time goes on.

Prior to 1991, I had seen/ looked over a few CJs with full glass bodies, and a few with

Just glass front fenders. I was impressed with how good they looked and in some cases,

Had no clue they were glass until I really looked at them hard.

Grant it, I'm not Mr. Museum curator as some folks are but,

I DO LIKE NICE LOOKING and not "Butchered Up/ Chopped Up" JEEPs.

I acquired Mr. Jeep (#6 CJ...... '77 CJ-5) and Willy (CJ2A) in 1991.

My intentions with my dyeing cornfield friend whom I felt sorry for, for

3 years when I walked past him on the way to my deer stand an old man's property.

I had searched elsewhere for a '40s Jeep, because the old 80 some odd year old man was

"Gonna restore the old Jeep one of these days"

Year 4, on my way to hunt, he musta realized the "restoration" in his mind, was just not gonna happen.

He pulled me off to the side and said, "You know, I'll have to have $100 for that ole Jeep".

I couldn't scrounge up a pick-up and a trailer fast enough to get back over there!

"Willy" had a legit title and went in my rented one car, duplex apartment's garage for the next two years.

It was pretty clear that his body was shot, even though a 55 gallon drum of bondo and misc. welded on goodies

made him look sorta "presentable" from the outside.

I couldn't afford a steel body or even a glass body. "Landline and paper catalogs" were

my "inner-net" back then.

In my phoning around, I had a company respond with that they had a FULL Glass body, which had a tailgate/ body

"BLEM" For $950 if I wanted it. They also told me it was not an awful imperfection, someone else would surely jump on it soon.

So like this was my first real taste of fiberglass. It really worked out well.

Over the last 30 years, I have found no rust on the glass.......at all!

EZ to modify, It paints nicely, lighter, quieter.

If I had the $$$, I'd have a glass Mr. Jeep too.

But for right now, I've been "staring down" this below, I also might do a

fiberglass windshield frame later as well.

I don't see no reason these fenders would not look as good on Mr. Jeep as the ones on

the feller's Jeep who told me about this link.

------JEEPFELLER

·
Registered
390 Posts
I used the cover plate and the one under it to repair my fenders that you mentioned. They both fit perfect and I do believe the second post picture was NOS. One of the panels lacked fender flare holes but that was wasn't hard to add in.

See post 62 in my rebuild thread Josh's 1985 CJ7 Restoration.

hope this helps!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I used the cover plate and the one under it to repair my fenders that you mentioned. They both fit perfect and I do believe the second post picture was NOS. One of the panels lacked fender flare holes but that was wasn't hard to add in.

See post 62 in my rebuild thread Josh's 1985 CJ7 Restoration.

hope this helps!
Nice work and good documentation. I did basically the very same thing as you did. Those panels are a great way to save your original fenders.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts