Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Good info. But. It is not a "cold" air intake unless it gets the air from someplace other than under that hot hood IMHO. I think AEM calls theirs a "Cool" air system, it may be someone else. You will not see any significant power gains unless you are actually getting cold air. This means air from elsewhere than under the hood and an insulated intake pipe. Most, if not all intakes they sell on the after market pick up air from the same place the stock system does. All that hot radiator air is coming right into the intake. Some of the systems put a dam affair in there, but I seriously doubt it is very effective. I am not knocking any intakes out there, but I would not call them a CAI unless they were getting the cold outside the hood air. My intake is sealed off from the hood and pulls air in from the cowl. The intake tube is also insulated. My "seat of the pants" dyno was very impressed. I would love to see dyno readings on this system. I have not checked mileage yet, but others are averaging betwen 50 and 70 more miles per tank. If they can get the price right on this deal it'll sell like hotcakes. It also filters the A/C air so the cab and vents stay cleaner.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
you have Mac's thing?
Yup. So here is the only pic I can post until he gets them on the market which should be soon.

You do really feel the power increase. I have not checked the mileage yet.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Update:

I've been monitoring the IAT via my ScanGuage vs the ambient temp via the auto dimming mirror. I've got the horn removed on the stock airbox. So far the past 2 weeks, the highest temp I've seen out of the IAT has been around 80*F - with an ambient temp of about 50*F, and that was when idling at a long stop light. The faster the vehicle travels, the colder the IAT gets - even down to 30*F on the highway when its ~15*F outside. So far on the street the actual intake temp seems to run at twice the ambient at the hottest while idling. As soon as you start moving it drops.
So it's sucking cold air. Interesting. I'd like to see results of this in the summer as well. Another reason for me to get a scan gauge I guess!

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Cold air can be a big thing, but normally not something that should be highly considered on Jeeps.
I know we are estimating but that would mean that you only gain 4.75 hp with a 50 degrees in temperature difference.
I also seriously doubt my system is giving me a huge HP gain. But the improvement in the Jeep's drivability is truly day and night. I guess you can call this seat of the pants or whatever, but it is very noticeable. I am suspecting it has something to do with cold air of course, but also probably something with the IAT sensor getting a different reading. Throttle response is emmensly better. Get up and go is remarkably better. And no doubt it gets better mileage. Dyno results may be the same as stock.

You can claim that the filter is in the engine comparment and thats the reason its not a CAI, but the simple fact is, is we drive our Jeeps, most are looking for hp down the road (while fresh air is streaming in, that is cooler), not hp at idle where the filter needs to be in a place that is the coolest at that moment.
A guy who has the same system I do stuck a thermometer in the stock air box and the temps in there, even going down the road, can get up there. Under the hood is hot as all get out even at 60 MPH. Hence, we old timers are known to heat up Burritos under the hood! Yes, a lot more cooler air comes into the intake at hiway speed than at idle, but the same can be said of a cowl system except the cowl induced air is always gonna be cooler. A huge key is to insulate the intake system under the hood and have the IAT sensor in the tube not the manifold and insulate it as well. Definately makes for a snappy Jeep.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Yeah, I need to get a scan gauge. I am pretty sure my air temps are lower at the tube mounted IAT sensor. I do have a good air source and my intake tube is insulated.

A under the hood air cleaner calling itself a CAI is not gonna improve things. It still gets the same warm air from the same source the stock set-up does! That dirt and junk getting flung off the fan is carried to the filter by hot radiator air. There has been no one I can think of who has the CAI I have who is not impressed with the power difference or I guess it's driveability more than actual power. And when you say CAI vs Stock I am presuming you are comparing stock to the AEM CAI which is available? I am pretty sure the AEM CAI is not a CAI just called that as a sales pitch. If you are getting the air source from under the hood it is not a cold air intake.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Am I the only one here who sees an advantage in the form of lesser likelihood of hydrolock when pulling from the cowl?

I see a lot of hating on the CAI's around here, and I can understand the strong feelings of snake oil and such, but might there be other advantages to a cowl-sourced solution?
The cowl is the only way. I have a cowl induction with dual filters and it really makes a difference you can see. Should be this way from the factory.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
The most restrictive part of a Jeep TJ, Mustang 5.0L or any other engine is the throttle body. Not sure how a free-flowing intake can help with fuel mileage.
Probably can't. Even a bigger throttle body probably won't work. Cold air works. Not much, but in my case 1-2 mpg improvement.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Interesting thread. It seems that Bigbob is the only one here who might have a setup worthwhile (assuming he didn't spend much money since it's largely homemade).

Bigbob ...you need to post some pics of your setup please. I might be willing to try yours if it could be fabbed up for a reasonable amount.
Not homemade, but also not on the market yet. There are many of these around. Being patents are pending on it I can't post pictures. I did modify mine quite a bit from the stock design. My modifications were to make the filters easier to service and had nothing to do with performance.

As far as easy to fab one of these up yourself goes, duck soup.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
I really don't know, and not afraid to ask. Back in the early day's of Mickey Thomson, and "Iron Man"
Stewart, what were they running for air filtration?
Most off roaders back in the 70's-80's ran K&N.

Anyone on this forum who says K&N is good will get promptly spanked with a huge wet noodle. There may be a possibility K&N builds crappier filters now than back then. I used to run them as filter #3 in a 4 filter set-up on a fleet of trucks and equipment I managed in extreme dirt and dust conditions. Filter #1 was one of those simple spinner type separators that gets out the big trash. These would be emptied every couple hours. Filter #2 was a cheap paper filter (Wix 2260) that would get blown out every couple hours and sent it to be washed once a week. Filter #3 was a K&N stock filter replacement. Back in the 70's K&N would build filters for your application. Filter #4 was the stock inner "last stand" filter. Normally we'd only clean the K&N once a month or so. In almost a 10 year period I never changed a filter #4 as no dirt ever got to it. You want the K&N to fill with dirt as it works better filtration wise and looses very little flow.

I don't use them anymore as I think they use thinner gauze and less of it now.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
FYI The CAI I use is now available to the public.

YouTube - MCAI First Look

I have the first design which uses a metal tube.

My secondary filter also looks a little different.

This is who sells them.

Skinny Pedal Products

Double filtered engine air, filtered cab air, better mileage and performance.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Can someone expound upon this a bit? ...like which Buick intake (I own a Buick Riviera haha)? I have another question about the whole cowl thing in general .....does it interfere with clearance for the windshield being folded down? Not that I'll use that feature often if ever ...just thinking ahead .....

I so desperately want more power for this 4.0 but nothing seems practical or worthwhile. Like I said it seems like an LS3 swap or a used Vortech kit might be somewhere in my future ...but I'd like some minor but significant power upgrade right now, esp if it would help mileage. We just don't have any real dyno numbers yet for Hypercrap or CAI or other ....would be nice at some point. Anyone experiment with hotter or colder plugs or anything like that? .....I think an LS-3 would be soooo awesome. Wonder how much torque the 6-speed and stock clutch can handle? Not that I'd be racing and banging gears ...I'd respect it but at least hope it could hold WOT in the power gears. Gotta do something ....this 4.0 isn't bad but I just want more. At least to be on the plus side of 200 HP would be nice .....
Ditto, 4.7 is what you want.

If you use your Jeep for a street rod you want a V-8 engine. The 4.0 in stock mode is a darn good off road engine. The stroker retains much or even surpasses the off road capability, but also adds a lot of power fo the street.

I am fairly certain Chrysler is coming out with a 4.7 crate engine for the Jeep which will have a warranty.

Look Here:

Mopar Underground Big Red Ram 1500 & XJ Stroker - Easter Jeep Safari - Travel & Adventure - Truck Trend

I'd rather have something like that in my LJ than a Hemi.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Just a note:

The newer JP link you cite shows stock HP/TQ at 142.3/188 and gains ranging to 154/200.9. That's a potential gain of 11.7/12.9 (or ~double your cited 6/4).

It's quite possible those are high-RPM gains, but that article doesn't seem to include any charts or numbers to verify.
I looked at that article, they call it a cold air shootout, but they didn't have one single cold air set-up! WTH! Everyone of them sucked the same old air from under the hood the stock set-up does. I don't get it. :confused::confused:

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
So i should sell my Airaid cold air intake, and get a stock air intake and use the money towards other gear like new tires. Sorry i know this is kinda old but if anyone wants to answer, thats cool with me :D
Good idea. If you want a real cold air intake call the guy at Skinnypetal.com and ask him if he has anymore MCAI's available. I have the older version of this on mine and it works great. I can actually feel the power increase and it has the added advantage of filtering the cab air when you have the top on and it dual filters the intake air. It also gets the air inlet up a little higher.

This is the intake:
http://skinnypedal.net/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7&products_id=108

He doesn't show the cowl scoop and filter, but call and ask.

The cowl scoop and filter was originally developed to just filter the interior/cab air so dust can be eliminated entering the A/C system and plugging the evaporator and heater core and had the added benefit of letting you breath better on dusty trails. Skinnypetal bought the idea from that guy but it could be it is no longer available. It used the stock Jeep air filter in the cowl vent.

Here is the cowl scoop and filter on mine.

I have the older intake design which uses a GM paper filter. The skinnypetal uses a conical filter.

I suggest you call or email them and ask.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.