Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So does anyone know what's required to pass? No one told me why I failed but I found this note at the bottom of my invoice: "Fails power train inspection due to oversize wheels and tires, front tow package, lift kit, and customer has stated has removable aftermarket power train control module chip".

Lol

Has anyone else failed? I'm assuming I can pass if I put it back to stock?

·
Who, me?
760 Posts
I'd guess you're probably done. At any rate, with that note in the system you'll probably have to fight long and hard to get anything covered.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I don't have any experience with the lifetime warranty and all the inspection stuff, but federal law states a dealership can't void a warranty simply because of aftermarket parts. The aftermarket part has to be the cause of the malfunction.

I just took a look at the checklist they use and step 2c asks if there are any modifications that have affected the operation of the powertrain, seeing as its written in past tense, i dont think they can fail you as long as the modifications you've done havent actually affected anything.

I'd fight it.

I had a dealership deny my Mustang warranty after the oil pump failed and seized the crank, and being that nothing on the car at the time could have caused the oil pump failure, i fought it and they ended up paying for a forged 5.0L that an outside shop built.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you post a picture of this checklist or tell me where I can find it?

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
if you had un-done all the mods, except maybe the lift, prior to the inspection, you might've been ok. But now, as w1pf stated, you are done, it would be a battle to pass the powertrain inspection.

your sig says you have an Air Raid, but no mention of that in what you posted as the cause of the inspection failure, I guess aftermarket air filter systems are ok.

did you really tell them you had a powertrain chip? :eek:

·
Registered
418 Posts
So does anyone know what's required to pass? No one told me why I failed but I found this note at the bottom of my invoice: "Fails power train inspection due to oversize wheels and tires, front tow package, lift kit, and customer has stated has removable aftermarket power train control module chip".

Lol

Has anyone else failed? I'm assuming I can pass if I put it back to stock?
All the things listed here can and will cause wear on the powertrain. I would say your warrenty is probably done. I'm sure they entered it in the chrysler system so even if you put it back to stock I doubt it would make a difference.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Can you post a picture of this checklist or tell me where I can find it?
I found it on a JK forum.

its really hard to read but the fine print on the bottom basically says they are not responsible for repairs cause by poor or improper maintenance or parts that were not on it when it left the plant, or parts not certified by chrysler.

Attachments

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well they guy seemed cool and we were talking about my jeep. F-up on my part I suppose. I told him I used to have the superchips tuner but i had removed it and gone back to stock tuning. I took the air raid off a long time ago. Stock intake now.

I've never had a problem with this jeep since I bought it new in 2007. It's pretty weak to point fingers at all this stuff and say I fail. I keep up on all Maintenance and fluids and I take good care of it.

I guess my problem is I did not know what this inspection consisted of beforehand. I went through all my old manuals and literature and there is no mention of what they actually do or look for. It just states that once every 5 years you need to take it to a dealer so they can preform a powertrain inspection.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The form is pretty vague but it seems as they are supposed to fail you if you have an aftermarket part that has screwed up your powertrain in some way. Mine is in perfect operating condition.

From the bottom of the power train inspection sheet-

"EXCLUSIONS- as stated in your warranty information book- Your warranties do not cover the cost of repairing damage or conditions caused by- The cost of repairing damage caused by any part that was not in your vehicle when it left the manufacturing plant or is not certified for use on your vehicle"

Has anyone else failed?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
The form is pretty vague but it seems as they are supposed to fail you if you have an aftermarket part that has screwed up your powertrain in some way. Mine is in perfect operating condition.

From the bottom of the power train inspection sheet-

"EXCLUSIONS- as stated in your warranty information book- Your warranties do not cover the cost of repairing damage or conditions caused by- The cost of repairing damage caused by any part that was not in your vehicle when it left the manufacturing plant or is not certified for use on your vehicle"

Has anyone else failed?
Theres a better quote in the warranty book. Paragraph 3.1 "Modifications not covered"

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
The modifications not beign covered is 100% normal, but federal law still prohibits voiding a warranty just because modifications are present.

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975

·
Registered
489 Posts
The modifications not beign covered is 100% normal, but federal law still prohibits voiding a warranty just because modifications are present.

Yep, that means you can install Autozone sold replacement part and as long as THEY can not prove it caused the issue then they HAVE to cover the repairs.

I could see bigger tires being an issue. but if you stayed with the OEM size but had on some oddball brand they could not deny you. I think they have a case with tire size, and they could show in court that it would cause more strain and wear & tear on the transmission.

Do you really need a lifetime warranty?

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
tire size change speedo readings. they can CLAIM all sorts of issues due to that including any maintenance items and such.

i suspect you are F'ed. since it was FREE when you bought the 07.....oh well/

also.......never tell the dealer anything...they are NOT your friend.

·
Registered
8,402 Posts

And they have worded the warranty's these days to by-pass that and it's now up to the owner to prove they still have a warranty.Hence the mandatory 5 year inspections.

Yep, that means you can install Autozone sold replacement part and as long as THEY can not prove it caused the issue then they HAVE to cover the repairs.

I could see bigger tires being an issue. but if you stayed with the OEM size but had on some oddball brand they could not deny you. I think they have a case with tire size, and they could show in court that it would cause more strain and wear & tear on the transmission.

Do you really need a lifetime warranty?
The replacement part has to up to OE specs or better or automatic fail.As far as the tires they got you for the whole powertrain on that one as it's been a known fact for many years that larger then stock tires cause problems with the entire drivetrain and more so if you fail to regear accordingly.More stress equals more heat and more heat is never a good thing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.