Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading for home on completion of my 82 cj7 and while locating seals for hardtop to windshield frame some say the seals wont fit aftermarket tops so what is difference physical difference so that I can tell if mine is original or not. And part 2 to that question is there a web site that provides build sheets for this older model? Like I used to be able to go onto a Pontiac site and get that info so to prove whether my GTO was real or clone. Does Jeep provide this service? thanks Mike

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
No, info like you are used to for your Pontiac, something like “PHS Services“ does not exist for your CJ-7. I would think the biggest reason is because AMC was never a well to do company, they were always looking to save money to stay in existence, so keeping track of records fell to the wayside.

As far as hardtops, for the CJ-7 goes the OEM tops have a very specific shape or look, so spottting an aftermarket one would be very easy to see visually. I have never seen in person an aftermarket hardtop on a CJ-7.

The Jeep Wrangler (YJ) that replaced the CJ-7, used the same dimensions for the body, so stuff like the tub, windshield frame, doors and top are the same dimensions and interchange, with a little modification in some cases. For example the YJ tub had a different style tail gate, so the hardtops were slightly different, despite the fact the dimensions are identical.

Having said that, a YJ hardtop can be made to fit a CJ-7. The YJ hardtop is easy to spot because the side windows are larger, among other features.

I have never used a seal on either CJ-7’s I have owned. One was a new model that I bought off the dealers lot, and I don’t remember there being any seals. The YJ‘s did use some form of seals, and they can be used on the CJ-7 hardtop, but I wouldn’t mess with it.

Your CJ-7 is more likely to leak from the cowl seal, where the windshield folds down, than from the mate between the hardtop and the windshield frame. Mine has never leaked where the hardtop and windshield frame attach, the overlapping design is such that it deters leakage.

Post some pictures of your hardtop and it will be easy to see if it is OEM, or aftermarket visually.

Reactions: Mister4x4

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, info like you are used to for your Pontiac, something like “PHS Services“ does not does not exist for your CJ-7. I would think the biggest reason is because AMC was never a well to do company, they were always looking to save money to stay in existence, so keeping track of records fell to the wayside.

As far as hardtops, for the CJ-7 goes the OEM tops have a very specific shape or look, so spottting an aftermarket one would be very easy to see visually. I have never seen in person an aftermarket hardtop on a CJ-7.

The Jeep Wrangler (YJ) that replaced the CJ-7, used the same dimensions for the body, so stuff like the tub, windshield frame, doors and top are the same dimensions and interchange, with a little modification in some cases. For example the YJ tub had a different style tail gate, so the hardtops were slightly different, despite the fact the dimensions are identical.

Having said that, a YJ hardtop can be made to fit a CJ-7. The YJ hardtop is easy to spot because the side windows are larger, among other features.

I have never used a seal on either CJ-7’s I have owned. One was a new model that I bought off the dealers lot, and I don’t remember there being any seals. The YJ‘s did use some form of seals, and they can be used on the CJ-7 hardtop, but I wouldn’t mess with it.

Your CJ-7 is more likely to leak from the cowl seal, where the windshield folds down, than from the mate between the hardtop and the windshield frame. Mine has never leaked where the hardtop and windshield frame attach, the overlapping design is such that it deters leakage.

Post some pictures of your hardtop and it will be easy to see if it is OEM, or aftermarket visually.
here are pics the it came to me along with blown engine. and if I read you right you dont even need the seal across the top of the windshield frame?

Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Wheel Hood
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Wheel

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
That’s an OEM hardtop, it’s the later composition plastic, I forget what they called it, but it has the seams, and is much lighter than the first version hardtop that was much heavier, and seamless.

Correct, I’ve run mine without any type of seal at the windshield attachment. Mine has never leaked either.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That’s an OEM hardtop, it’s the later composition plastic, I forget what they called it, but it has the seams, and is much lighter than the first version hardtop that was much heavier, and seamless.

Correct, I’ve run mine without any type of seal at the windshield attachment. Mine has never leaked either.
Thanks, finally a bit of good news. Just one thing less I have to buy while "Just Emptying Every Pocket"

·
Registered
2003 Wrangler RHD
7,822 Posts
the 87 yj tops are just like the one but they have vents on the sides, behind the big windows. i had the same rotating garage door style handle in a metal strip on the bottom of hte glass. my wife's 93 yj had a different type of back window for her hard top but the rest looked the same

·
Registered
619 Posts
Good Info here.

Just to add-on a little what John and Axhammer mentioned. The YJ top has always appealed to me because of the greater outward visibility, so when I had a chance to pick one up, I did.

Here's mine with its factory CJ hardtop (and early model 'twist handle' doors):
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Vehicle

Even though it's not painted the same (yet), here's the early YJ top (and paddle handle doors):
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive tire

Also, there's a distinct difference in the YJ hatch - the glass is bigger for better outward visibility (although, the wiper motor steals some of the visibility back):
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Plant

This is an early YJ top, because of the twist-lock latch - the later models don't have any exterior latches, and must be opened/closed with the tailgate opened. This model still doesn't work properly with CJ tailgates, but a simple modification to the inside of the bottom edge of the hatch will make that possible.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, finally a bit of good news. Just one thing less I have to buy while "Just Emptying Every Pocket"
Going back to what Axhammer said in post #5 about no seals. I am about to paint the top and while masking the windows and crawling around and under I noticed some things under the front edge of the top that sits on the windshield frame. In my pic #2 i am pointing to a very hard flat seal would that have been added by a previous owner? and also in that pic i am concerned as to what all that is going on along that seam. Was someone trying to patch a leak? I dont see anything damaged or repaired on the top outside above that area? Any suggestions as to what was going on. is that seal called a "Convertible / Hard Top Seal-Frame To Hard Top Weatherstrip" that I see on Ebay? Now,. In my pic #1 I am pointing to a metal strip that runs from side to side and is held in place with attached metal studs with push nuts to secure it to the top. Now 2 of those studs are rusted out and can no longer function. I dont seem to find that metal pice on ebay. any suggestions as to where I can get one or what it is called? Thanks, Mike

Building Window Gesture Wood Finger
Bumper Automotive lighting Wood Handwriting Electrical wiring

1 - 10 of 10 Posts