Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
UPDATE: As planned, I unplugged the right-rear door wire connector (since that is what the "Last VTA Trigger" indicated was triggering the alarm), and the alarm has gone off twice since. I have an appointment setup tomorrow for the next step to solve this issue.

I have a hard time trying to trust dealership service advisors (and some of their technicians). I thought a good next step would be to reprogram the key fob remotes just in case there was local radio interference triggering the alarm. The service advisor, however, says he recommends "diagnosing the issue" first... though I have a bad feeling that could lead down a rabbit hole of misdiagnoses and debt. Remember, their initial thought was to rip open the door panel to check out the door latch, which is now obviously not the source of the issue.

Anyone have any advise as to what my next step(s) should be?

Does anyone know what the part number is for the factory remote start/alarm?

·
Accidental Obfuscator
8,060 Posts
I don't put a whole lot of faith in factory alarms. If you were still under warranty I'd let em fix it. But the factory alarm has several weak points to start with - simply open hood and yank battery wire to disable for one!

If they are gonna play the one fix at a time thing (which is really the only thing that CAN be done from their perspective) I would start considering removal (deactivation) of the factory alarm and installation of a good aftermarket setup - that dealer price could easily get to 400-450 with diagnostic time. An authorized installer usually has the ability to remove the factory stuff. I was quoted 650 by an installer to install a Viper 3303 system on my 11 with inside proximity (for when doors/top are off) - the two way also gives silent alarm paging so I can catch anyone who dares to screw with it .... and that included deactivating the factory stuff. Haven't gone that route yet as my other projects have sucked money out of the budget.

The Viper 350 is comparable to factory in function but adds shock sensor and starter disable AND can be wired into the underhood. I would think that comes in ~400 installed. And there may even be better options out there.

·
Accidental Obfuscator
8,060 Posts
Too Cool. Who needs an alarm with Protected by Possum 2000 (v 1.1)!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I don't put a whole lot of faith in factory alarms. If you were still under warranty I'd let em fix it. But the factory alarm has several weak points to start with - simply open hood and yank battery wire to disable for one!

If they are gonna play the one fix at a time thing (which is really the only thing that CAN be done from their perspective) I would start considering removal (deactivation) of the factory alarm and installation of a good aftermarket setup - that dealer price could easily get to 400-450 with diagnostic time. An authorized installer usually has the ability to remove the factory stuff. I was quoted 650 by an installer to install a Viper 3303 system on my 11 with inside proximity (for when doors/top are off) - the two way also gives silent alarm paging so I can catch anyone who dares to screw with it .... and that included deactivating the factory stuff. Haven't gone that route yet as my other projects have sucked money out of the budget.

The Viper 350 is comparable to factory in function but adds shock sensor and starter disable AND can be wired into the underhood. I would think that comes in ~400 installed. And there may even be better options out there.
Thank you for this suggestion! (There's no warranty.) Replacing the factory alarm was one of my first ideas, but I like the key and the FOB all-in-one. But, an after-market alarm would definitely preform better than factory. When I mentioned going after-market to the service advisor this morning, he said "uhh... I don't know if the factory start-disable can be removed". I'm pretty sure he has no clue (or wants my $$$). Do you know for sure that the factory alarm/start-disable/etc. can all be removed or deactivated even when the keys have the security chip? Thanks again! (Good luck with your budget!)

Have you checked for one of these?
Ha! I remember those bastards when I lived in Costa Mesa. They'd hiss at me! :eyebulge:

Current Status: The technician is sending an email to the mothership to see if they have any advise or suggestions as to what may be causing the alarm issue. They'll give me a call when they hear back. Stay tuned...

·
Accidental Obfuscator
8,060 Posts
Thank you for this suggestion! (There's no warranty.) Replacing the factory alarm was one of my first ideas, but I like the key and the FOB all-in-one. But, an after-market alarm would definitely preform better than factory. When I mentioned going after-market to the service advisor this morning, he said "uhh... I don't know if the factory start-disable can be removed". I'm pretty sure he has no clue (or wants my $$$). Do you know for sure that the factory alarm/start-disable/etc. can all be removed or deactivated even when the keys have the security chip? Thanks again! (Good luck with your budget!)

Ha! I remember those bastards when I lived in Costa Mesa. They'd hiss at me! :eyebulge:

Current Status: The technician is sending an email to the mothership to see if they have any advise or suggestions as to what may be causing the alarm issue. They'll give me a call when they hear back. Stay tuned...
I would THINK the factory start disable for the chip stays in place - you merely disable the alarm side. A second disable is created with the aftermarket system. Get with a local authorized installer for Viper or even Python... they can give more details than I can recall.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
UPDATE: Spoke with the technician. He said there are two options...

Option 1) Temporarily disconnect the wire that leads from the TIPM to the right-rear door and monitor the alarm activity. This would require disconnecting the TIPM to reach the wire. If the alarm goes off again, this would eliminate the possibility of a faulty wire.

Option 2) Replace the TIPM. Parts: $227 Labor: $160

From what I believe, I think the TIPM is going out... which seems to be somewhat common. Not only is the alarm going off at random times, but sometimes the key FOBs don't work (not a FOB or FOB battery issue), as well as previous e-disco issues. All of which goes through the TIPM. I think Option 2 would be my best bet. I highly doubt that there is a faulty wire between the TIPM and the right-rear door.

I guess there would be a third option, and that would be to get an aftermarket alarm. However, since there seems to be other TIPM-related issues, I'd probably eventually have to replace the TIPM anyway.

What do you guys think?

·
Accidental Obfuscator
8,060 Posts
Given other issues I would go with the tipm. If alarm still gives problem disconnect the wire as advised.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
UPDATE: 10 days after replacing the TIPM, the alarm randomly went off again last night. So pissed! I'm basically out $500 and nothing has changed. :brickwall:

I went to the service department first thing this morning. Hooked the Jeep up to the tech's computer and it gave the code that the right-rear door triggered the alarm (same as before). Chrysler recommended unplugging the wire that leads to the right-rear door from the back of the TIPM (plug C-7, wire 14). We went ahead and did that. If the alarm does not go off again, that means there's probably an issue with the wire. If the alarm goes off again, then the tech will recontact Chrysler to see what the next steps might be.

This is the most frustrating issue! If anyone has any other suggestions or advise, that would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
651 Posts
Any update here, my 2013 alarm started going off every few days at night of course.

And as for being out the cost with no result, that's where you say, apply the money spent so far to find the real problem. In other words, they failed, you owe them nothing so far, but I assume it's fixed by now.

·
Registered
651 Posts
So alarm goes off again at 3AM, at least it's consistent, bring it to the dealer, I come to find out my jeep has the Karr alarm on top of the factory, basically a motion sensor alarm. And it was set to hypersensitive. They have a dedicated alarm tech who came out and demonstrated, all it took was a light tap on the wheel/axle to get it to go off. Cats jumping into the engine at noight to keep warm are causing the issue. He set it back to human sensitive and we'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
At that age of vehicle the door seals could be rather weak and allowing movement from wind etc.

With it set and armed shake the jeep by the door handle to see if that sets it off. Adjust striker if it does. If that does not solve - the latch itself may have enough wear to not be tight.
Its not that sensitive

Sent from my GT-N7000 using JeepForum

·
Registered
49 Posts
My issue was much simpler - It was meeaow issue
The neighbor's cat enjoys rubbing herself with hot parts under the car - took 3 weeks to find out !

I taut I tau a putty cat !

·
Registered
49 Posts
I taut I tau a putty cat

I had a Cat issue as well !!!

So alarm goes off again at 3AM, at least it's consistent, bring it to the dealer, I come to find out my jeep has the Karr alarm on top of the factory, basically a motion sensor alarm. And it was set to hypersensitive. They have a dedicated alarm tech who came out and demonstrated, all it took was a light tap on the wheel/axle to get it to go off. Cats jumping into the engine at noight to keep warm are causing the issue. He set it back to human sensitive and we'll see how it goes.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've done some searching and found some similar topics, but no solutions specifically for an '08 JK.

For the last 5 or 6 months my factory alarm has been going off at random times when it's armed, usually in the middle of the night. I'm pretty sure our neighbors are getting pissed (as am I).

I found a TSB for 2011s (http://www.wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_0805311.pdf), but not specifically for 2008. The TSB seems to describe the issue I'm having, so I took the Jeep and the TSB to the dealership last week. (They have never heard of such an issue.) After plugging the Jeep into their computer, they said there is no updates needed. They also said, however, that the "Last VTA Trigger" was indicating the right rear door was causing the alarm to sound (exactly like the TSB stated it would). They, of course, suggested to start ripping the right rear door apart to investigate the door hatch. I told them to just try a reflash instead, so they did. Since then, the alarm has gone off yet a few more times.

Any advise would be much appreciated!!
Hey did you ever find a resolution to this? I have a 2007 Jk. And mine just started doing this!🤦🏼‍♀️

21 - 39 of 39 Posts