Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Motor mount lifts and tummy tucks are just poorly effective ways to obtain trail clearance. Motor mount lifts are also used by some to improve drive shaft angle, rather than skid plate spacers. Leaving the skid and motor as is and doing a proper suspension lift gets the whole frame further from the trail objects, including bumpers and tub sides. There is a lot of work and thought involved in a proper suspension lift though, which makes a market for the shortcuts.
As I do value your opinion I believe no matter how much lift you have, there will always be a lower point in a YJ stock belly pan. Proper suspension lift or not, there is approx 4” of lost ground clearance at the belly pan. So what I understand from your post, based on your opinion if my properly designed 4” lift was not enough ground clearance for my type of wheeling at the belly, you would suggest going up another 4”? My goal is to gain as much clearance as possible without going to high. I’m sure there are many that may agree that a tummy tuck is not a good idea but I would also say there are enough people that agree with them. There is a huge difference between opinion and fact. I value everyone’s opinion when I am looking for advice. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
I have to very respectfully disagree that tummy tucks are a bad way to go. I plan on doing one and have thought it over very thoroughly. There is a lot of additional ground clearance to be had in addition to whatever suspension lift is installed. I do agree that some of the tummy tuck products sold may execute some things in some poor ways but all in all I think it is a great idea. If done correctly it does not compromise driveline angles any more that the equivalent amount of suspension lift, in fact I believe it can produce less of a change in driveline angles with clocking of the transfer case and a lower profile trans mount.

Body to ground clearance is greater than frame or skid to ground clearance so I do not see where the body to ground clearance is a real big issue. As far as bumper clearance that is a good excuse to do a stretch if that is an issue. ;)

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I have to very respectfully disagree that tummy tucks are a bad way to go. I plan on doing one and have thought it over very thoroughly. There is a lot of additional ground clearance to be had in addition to whatever suspension lift is installed. I do agree that some of the tummy tuck products sold may execute some things in some poor ways but all in all I think it is a great idea. If done correctly it does not compromise driveline angles any more that the equivalent amount of suspension lift, in fact I believe it can produce less of a change in driveline angles with clocking of the transfer case and a lower profile trans mount.

Body to ground clearance is greater than frame or skid to ground clearance so I do not see where the body to ground clearance is a real big issue. As far as bumper clearance that is a good excuse to do a stretch if that is an issue. ;)
I love my tummy tuck.

·
Think Outside the Catalog
9,745 Posts
I yield. I guess a tummy tuck can have value. It's been so long since my Jeep was stock under there. I had to mount the motor mounts as I wished and fab a skid back in '04 and I really don't know where it sat compared to stock. I also re-fabbed it all again in '07 for a frame swap. I do know my skid surface is 22" off the garage floor and never hits anything on the trail.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Just to follow up, after lowering the trans, I was able to remove all of the bell housing bolts. I used a couple of extensions and. Swivel. The top two did require a bit of heat.

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Good news. Thanks for the report. I have a saying working on vehicles that I share with the younger guys. Sometimes more is less. In other words, taking more apart can make something take less effort or be easier and quicker. Sometimes though, more is just more work. It can be difficult to discern between the two.

Reactions: jhrebs

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I might be replacing a bunch of vacuum lines. Does anyone know what size they are and where I can buy general lengths of different sizes?

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Auto parts stores should have it in bulk rolls and sell you however many feet you need. As far as sizes, eyeball them, or go through your assortment of golf tees, machine screws, wood screws, anything round and find things that are the right size that fit the holes or even remove a tee or check valve in a line and take it with you for a reference. Lord only knows what all has been done to YOUR jeep and what sizes you need. Heck, even gauge them with a caliper if you have one or a tape measure. You probably only need two or three sizes in all. A little smaller ID works, to big is bad.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Thanks

21 - 29 of 29 Posts