Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to install a new ATK 4 cylinder. I wanna have all my ducks in a row with all my parts. Oil, antifreeze, air filter, oil filter, plugs, wires, rotor, distributor cap. Couple tubes of rtv. I was going to replace my slave cylinder since I’ll have access to that. Am I missing anything? I think it’s pretty straight forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Both are brand new when I did my tummy tuck. Thanks for the idea though.

Reactions: timatoe

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When is last time clutch was done? Since you already in there that far. I have removed and replaced 100's of these small engines and there is nothing to them.
Great idea. Probably just go with a basic oem clutch. Unless there’s some that are recommended

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’m thinking new clutch all together. Plate. Cylinder. Bushing etc.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well how about the cooling system all of it any of it goes south it over heats and you are back at square one.
Radiator is 6 years old. But possibly could do water pump and thermostat

·
Registered
10,881 Posts
as well all the soft lines to that cooling system. just seem if you rebuild, not doing ancillary parts is setting up Murphy to have FUBAR waiting on Murphy. like on todays junk, things like a auto new but not the cooler same for motors that run oil coolers. these things tend to trap debris that tend to just repeat the issue down the road.

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
The distributor gear. When I rebuilt my 4.0 for my XJ it was the one part I ignored. About 30K miles later I was replacing the camshaft. Yep. True story and I know better.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I started the engine removal process. No hiccups until tonight. I’m attempting to remove the bell housing bolts. I got three off with a ratchet. Another 3 I used a ratchet, long extensions and a swivel. No luck. I’ll try the impact tomorrow. However the huge issue are the top two housing bolts. I have an engine and trans mount installed for a flat tummy tuck. Virtually impossible to get a socket on those two. I can either lower the engine and trans or I was thinking of cutting a hole in the tub to access those bolts

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
I usually let the trans hang down to get swivel into it and IMO an impact gun is the only choice. LOL. I do this on a lot of other vehicles also, not exclusively on Jeeps.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That’s what I was thinking however with my 1” engine lift I really believe the top two bolts are too tight to the tub/firewall.

·
Think Outside the Catalog
9,745 Posts
That’s what I was thinking however with my 1” engine lift I really believe the top two bolts are too tight to the tub/firewall.
So take out the motor lift while you're at it. It's just a band-aid for not implementing other things right.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So take out the motor lift while you're at it. It's just a band-aid for not implementing other things right.
What do you mean? I installed my motor lift because I did a tummy tuck. My belly pan is completely flat. I was pretty sure in order to accomplish this I needed the MML

·
Think Outside the Catalog
9,745 Posts
Motor mount lifts and tummy tucks are just poorly effective ways to obtain trail clearance. Motor mount lifts are also used by some to improve drive shaft angle, rather than skid plate spacers. Leaving the skid and motor as is and doing a proper suspension lift gets the whole frame further from the trail objects, including bumpers and tub sides. There is a lot of work and thought involved in a proper suspension lift though, which makes a market for the shortcuts.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts