Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:(My old beast is having a serious problem. It is starting to A> Eat Thermostats and later water pumps... and B> its now starting to run REAL hot. I am at a loss as to what this would cause. I don't know if the old beast is givin' up the ghost or what... but I have had the hoses changed, a new water pump put on, and the thermostat changed. The fans both run fine... but it STILL runs hot. :ghost:

It's an '88 Cherokee Pioneer with a 4.0L I6 with 222,171mi on it.
:rantscream:

·
Farm Wheeler
10,047 Posts
What about the rest of the cooling system? Has it been flushed lately? Is there a lot of crap in the coolant and built up in the radiator? What antifreeze are you running? Has more than one type of antifreeze been added to the system?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Next question...?

What about the rest of the cooling system? Has it been flushed lately?
Actually it has just a couple days ago.

Is there a lot of crap in the coolant and built up in the radiator?
That wouldn't matter anyway... there's no one local that "boils out" the radiators local. If I did that, I would have to take it to a city... and even then, it's a question as to whether or not mechanics there would do it...

What antifreeze are you running?
NAPA.

Has more than one type of antifreeze been added to the system? Not lately. The last stuff that was added was NAPA as well. Would older stuff not work with it? :confused:

:brickwall: This jeep is starting to have little problems here and there. The power steering is starting to go out again... that pulley is squealing again... and the steering is getting stiffer. I have had it for over 2 years (almost 3) and kept up with the maintenance best I could. Its starting to nickel and dime me to death and I don't have the funds or the time to fart around with fixing it every time it has a small problem... so... yeah. :2c:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the concern, but I took it to a local shop. After about 5 hours' work, he fixed the problem. Seems to have been a compound of several things. Needed new hoses, bad new thermostat, and water pump was leaking because the gasket didn't have that stuff on it before it was set.

Thanks for the concern, tho...

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Are you getting your water pumps at Autozone? If yes that may be your answer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts