Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nothing is more fun than working on an electrical system after several generations of owners have been cutting and splicing the wiring harnesses. I am installing a Howell EFI in my '85 CJ7 and able to get rid of a lot of the wiring but I don't want to go too far. There are a red wire and a red wire w/ a white stripe coming out of the junction under the master cylinder that go into a sender that is T'd into the oil pressure sender, I have the purple wire attached for the gauge, I figured it might be for a warning light but the wires are spliced, using duct tape, to wires, also red and red w/ a white stripe that go to the top of the transmission. Does anyone have an idea what they are?

Also, there is a flat six contact plug that is wired to the wires mentioned above and a relay that seems to be attached to the manifold heater. I have enclosed a picture. Anybody know what it is?

Attachments

·
Registered
620 Posts
The wire T'd to the oil pressure sender may be for a cutoff switch for an electric fuel pump. The relay too. The 6 way connector looks to be a Delphi "Weatherpack' connector which didn't come out until way after your CJ, so it's not stock.

·
Super Moderator
23,971 Posts
Nothing is more fun than working on an electrical system after several generations of owners have been cutting and splicing the wiring harnesses. I am installing a Howell EFI in my '85 CJ7 and able to get rid of a lot of the wiring but I don't want to go too far. There are a red wire and a red wire w/ a white stripe coming out of the junction under the master cylinder that go into a sender that is T'd into the oil pressure sender, I have the purple wire attached for the gauge, I figured it might be for a warning light but the wires are spliced, using duct tape, to wires, also red and red w/ a white stripe that go to the top of the transmission. Does anyone have an idea what they are?
That "T" in sensor is an oil pressure switch to control the operation of the e-choke and manifold heater. They use oil pressure to to insure that it only operates once the engine is running and has oil pressure.
I think they started using this in 1981 when they switched to the aluminum, water heated manifold. The manifold heater keep fuel from collecting on the inside of the manifold when it is could that could cause a lean and then too rich mixture.

If you are installing an EFI system, I would suggest keeping the manifold heater but you don't need the e-Choke.
If you are installing an MPFI system then you can eliminate both circuits.

Also, there is a flat six contact plug that is wired to the wires mentioned above and a relay that seems to be attached to the manifold heater. I have enclosed a picture. Anybody know what it is?
The wire T'd to the oil pressure sender may be for a cutoff switch for an electric fuel pump. The relay too. The 6 way connector looks to be a Delphi "Weatherpack' connector which didn't come out until way after your CJ, so it's not stock.
That connector actually is a stock connection from 84 on. Most of it is for the computer but one wire goes to the oil pressure switch that supplies power and echoke.

If you are installing an EFI system, you probably don't need this plug at least.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,460 Posts
In a few years you may also be called out as the PO who cut and spliced wires. :|:laugh2:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.