Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My headlights just lost the high/low beam function, I now only have parking lights (in my head lamps and the indicators are functioning).
Any similar experience and/or suggestions where to look?
Thanks in advance.
McOrd

· Premium Member
1984 Jeep CJ-7 Renegade
10,411 Posts
I would check the floor dimmer switch first, then the circuit breaker for the headlamps.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi mblack and keith460
Really appreciate your swift response. I think you’re spot on. I did notice that the dimmer switch feels a little mushy and lack the characteristic “click” when used.
Thanks for being so generous with your time and experience.
McOrd

· Registered
88 Posts
The dimmer switch sits down there on the floor at takes the brunt of the wet and goo, both inside and outside of the jeep. Drop a new one in and if that fails go to the light switch in the dash. The dash switch on my 1980 CJ5 was troublesome too.

· Registered
3,387 Posts
Insure the loose connection did not get so hot that

it burned the wire or melted the plastic.

If the connectors got super heated, the metal may fatigue and never provide a great connection again.

Replace the pigtail!

Several times mine has done the same thing.

Un-knowingly you will shove the connector back onto the dimmer

and push one of the females back into the connector (it's catch/ holder melted)

Now (if at all) the female may barely grab the male---more getting hot!

I little gob of dielectric grease on the connections helps a lot too!

These pigtail connections can be found at an auto parts store.

My last pic shows a new connector.

Connections up on the light switch can do the same thing!

-----JEEPFELLER

Gas Toy Machine Engineering Font

Circuit component Electronic component Cable Electronic engineering Gas

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi everyone
Once again a big thank you for your generosity with time and experience. I followed your sound advice to look for the most simple solution first and ordered a new dimmer switch and, lo and behold, that was it. Now it functions great again and I can start with some more serious work again. Wish you guys all the best.

· Super Moderator
24,577 Posts
As jeepfeller said, use dielectric grease on the terminals to keep them clean.

Once a terminal overheats, it's best to replace it as it looses a lot of it's strength. It's one of those things that get worse and worse.
A poor connection makes a little heat making the connection worse making it heat more making it horrible making plastic melting heat... and so on.

Most pigtails I've seen have to small a gauge of wire on them. splicing them in just makes your lights dimmer. They are OK is you have the relay upgrade which I highly recommend. You probably will never have to replace the switch ever again if you install relays for the lights.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts