Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks in advance. 1990 XJ. I've been problem solving the XJ accelerating on it's own. I replaced the TPS (probably prematurely - but whatever), and I found a disconnected vacuum line and another loose one. Fixing those was an improvement. But then I heard another vacuum suck at shut-off and found that the EGR Transducer had melted in the back. I couldn't see it behind the valve itself. I'm guessing this is why I was having an smell up front that I sometimes get a headache from as well (drive with the windows down!)

I've scraped the melted plastic off the back of the transducer and I have a clear hole to the inside. So here are my options. Opinions?

1) Find a junk yard replacement (would be a new experience)
2) glue a piece of scrap pipe into the hole and re-insert
3) bypass with a "T" connector (what would this do?)
4) buy an entirely new EGR valve assembly ($83)
5) Call BWD and see if they would send me just the transducer

Other options?

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
11,865 Posts
Renix ECU won't even know if you completely pull the EGR system, block the openings and plug the vacuum lines.
I do not know if it's legal to do in the USA or not, but it'll keep your intake cleaner and the engine won't run any worse.. it also doesn't cause any increase in emissions if you need emissions checked at an inspection.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I lucked out and found one today at a junk yard. $5. That was a good experience in itself, so I'm glad we went. But, it didn't solve my acceleration issues. I still need to adjust the new TPS correctly. But I guess I've got more research to do to figure out why this thing just wants to go. Might need to open up the throttle body and see how it looks inside.

Any other suggestions why it's ready to go on its own?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cruiser 54 - I cleaned the IAC and the entire throttle body. The IAC is old. Not sure if it's original, but it's old. Still need to adjust the TPS. I sprayed around all the vacuum hoses I could see with throttle body cleaner to see if anything responded. Nothing. Could an improperly positioned TPS be part of the independent acceleration. If it's still a problem after adjusting the TPS, would you replace the IAC next?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.