Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Is it true that if the TPS is replaced, that the ECU should be cleared/reset? If so, how is this done, specifically, for this year make/model? I bet I spent two hours looking for the answer, but kept finding only answers for 1995+ year makes/models. I only found one answer that claimed all you have to do is "unhook the positive battery cable for approximately 30 seconds". Is it REALLY that easy? . . . With none of the ignition on/off, headlights on/offf, stuff? In case it's helpful, it is the 4.0L/6 Cyl Automatic transmission.

I would REALLY appreciate someone replying who knows FOR SURE if I even need to do this and how to do it. My mechanic's guys supposedly did this . . . and not that I don't believe them . . . but there are some things, when I can, that I like to do myself just to know for sure that all the t's have been crossed and i's dotted.

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! :)

Oh, and I have visited your site and it is awesome! OK . . . confession . . . I AM a woman, and may have enough of an understanding of some of the things on your site to get myself in some trouble. :) Hopefully not, but it does allow me to do some legwork -- or at least be able to ask somewhat intelligent questions when I have my Jeep at my regular mechanic's shop for things. I have a tremendous amount of faith in my mechanic and his crew, but still like to understand the what's and why's of things that I have done. I'm learning a lot and enjoying doing so.

I've posted another thread (actually my first and main thread) here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/...tent-loss-acceleration-while-driving-3995562/ if you would like to check it out and see if you have any thoughts/recommendations. Please know that if you do read it and reply, I hugely appreciate your willingness to do so and whatever you may be able/willing to contribute.

Thanks again and have a super day!

·
Premium Member
12,421 Posts
Thank you! :)

Oh, and I have visited your site and it is awesome! OK . . . confession . . . I AM a woman, and may have enough of an understanding of some of the things on your site to get myself in some trouble. :) Hopefully not, but it does allow me to do some legwork -- or at least be able to ask somewhat intelligent questions when I have my Jeep at my regular mechanic's shop for things. I have a tremendous amount of faith in my mechanic and his crew, but still like to understand the what's and why's of things that I have done. I'm learning a lot and enjoying doing so.

I've posted another thread (actually my first and main thread) here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/...tent-loss-acceleration-while-driving-3995562/ if you would like to check it out and see if you have any thoughts/recommendations. Please know that if you do read it and reply, I hugely appreciate your willingness to do so and whatever you may be able/willing to contribute.

Thanks again and have a super day!
Has your mechanic performed tips 1 through 5 for you?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Morning Cruiser54,

Thank you for your reply. As for steps 1-5 (Sorry to sound ignorant, but I just don't want to make any "assumptions" - smile) . . . are your referring to the "tips" on your website with the first 5 being the following:

1 - Ground refreshing
2 - C101 connector refreshing
3 - Connector and relay/receptacle refreshing
4 - Coil/ICM contacts
5 - Checking sensor grounds

If so, my guess would be "no" . . . I'm not aware of my mechanic having done those. However, I'm sure if I asked him to, he would do so. Please confirm, at your convenience, that these are the 5 steps you are referring to. Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a bunch! Talked with my mechanic this morning and let him know I was researching the issue more. Tried to give him a Cliff's Notes version of what I've learned so far -- and about your (1st 5) procedures (C101 Refresh, Ground Refreshing, etc.). He's open to helping me in any way he can, so at some point I'll gather up everything I've documented and share it with him.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.