Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just replaced the AC evap and heater core on my 1998 Cherokee XJ Sport. Very happy with the result.

I have run into another small problem. As I have owned this Jeep only for a few weeks, the temperatures here in the Netherlands are still very mild and the AC was not working, I never heard the electric fan running.

With the AC fixed, the electric fan kicks in, as it should. But it made quite a racket. So I pulled the whole assembly out and opened up the little e-motor. Bearing shot. Not a problem as I even happened to have the exact bearing in stock myself for my other hobby. (Building model 2- and 4 stroke engines).

However, when I was cleaning all the various components I must have blown away a few of the springs that hold the brushes in place. I have already spend an half hour, on my knees, searching my garage floor, but no luck.
I have not been able to find anybody here in the Netherlands that can help. I tried various dynamo/e-motor repair shops. I tried my local Jeep parts shop, but they only sell the complete fan assembly at a whopping Euro 175.

I have seen I can get the complete motor at Rockauto for about $ 32. By the time I have paid for shipping, import duties and VAT that will about Euro 75. So I might have to resort to that. I might consider making up my own little springs and some attachment to hold them in place.

Anybody perhaps a suggestions as to where I could get my hands on some of these tiny springs?

Automotive tire Fluid Gesture Finger Thumb

Automotive tire Fluid Gesture Finger Thumb

There are some markings on the e-motor and I have googled for those, but again to no avail.

Finger Material property Gas Auto part Kitchen appliance

Jeroen

·
Registered
12,648 Posts
Always a junk yard - I'm sure fan motor was used on more than jeep,
Maybe a home AC fan motor parts supplier could match.
I elieve 'four seasons' supplies the motor, so maybe google a 4seasons supplier?

·
Registered
286 Posts
@jtec
that is not always so easy with junkyard jeeps here in Europe. There are few but to find a junkyard facelift XJ with 4.0 is a challenge. Diesel uses different fan. :cool:

@JeroenD
i have a several brand new complete fan assemblies on stock From 85 to 175€ depending on manufacturer/quality.
Plus i have one brand new with a minor damage. Dropped a brake rotor on it when sorting items on stock. One of the plastic "legs" is broken. Not big deal, quite easy repairable
or you can just grab the motor. Can be yours for 60 + 13€ shipping from SK to NL via GLS

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Always a junk yard - I'm sure fan motor was used on more than jeep,
Thanks, but as mentioned the junk yard situation in Europe, certainly in the Netherlands is very different from the USA. I lived in Kansas City from 2009 till 2012. Loved my local “pick and pull”. But even then those sort of DIY junk yards had ceased to operate in the Netherlands for a long time. And then there is the problem of having relative few Jeep Cherokees in the Netherlands to start with

@jtec
i have a several brand new complete fan assemblies on stock
Thanks!

This morning I walked into my garage and would you believe it, first thing I spotted on the floor was one of the missing springs. So with only one spring missing I decided to make my own little modification. Had a good look at this backing plate which holds the brushes and springs. Most be some sort of universal type, it had several nooks, and clips that are obviously meant to hook up to different bushes/springs in different applications. So I took a small piece of Delrin to my MiniMill and made it fit into the backing plate:

Finger Engineering Electronic engineering Electrical wiring Electronic component

Automotive tire Crankset Wheel Vehicle brake Bicycle part

It will allow me to just lock an ordinary spring behind the brush. I tried out a few different springs until I got one that gave me about the same feeling as the original springs

Handwriting Road surface Grey Asphalt Eyewear

Just for those who are interested, here the new SKF bearing, its a standard 8x22x7mm bearing. Make sure you get a dust resistent version, such as this one:

Cutting mat Line Material property Rectangle Circle

Before starting the assembly I also cleaned the collector: Old trick, a simple inkt eraser will do a pretty good job!

Before:

Saw Sports equipment Wood Tints and shades Tool

After:

Wood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Auto part

Next I started putting everything back together again. Which is always a bit fiddly with four spring loaded bushes, magnets and steel rotors. As is tradition I mounted the back plate upside down first!

I uses very thin wire strands to keep the brushes in place against the spring pressure. Bit fiddly, but it will allow me to install everything a little easier.

Automotive tire Bicycle part Vehicle brake Alloy wheel Rim

The trickiest part was putting the end cap back on. This thing was never designed to be taken apart. Of course, both ends need to be aligned pretty accurately for this thing to work properly. In the end I held it all in place in my vice, with a large steel push pushing everything together gently.

Machine tool Engineering Tool Gas Wood

Put the fan and the cowling back on and applied 12VDC:

At least the e-motor runs smoothly and no bearing noise. You can hear a bit of noise of the brushes against the collector. Not too worried about that as that probably just needs a bit of wearing back in.

Put everything in the car, started the engine and switched on the AC:

Lots of air being pushed through that radiator again. For now this will do fine.
I will be ordering a new radiator, hoses, waterpump, thermostat in the next week or so, and I might just add that e-motor as well, because at some point in time, it will fail again.

thanks for the help and suggestions

Jeroen

Attachments

·
Registered
286 Posts
Great job! I like when people repair things instead of just tossing it into trash bin (y)(y)
On the other hand its quite time consuming. So it normally makes sense only if you do it as a hobby or if it is a some kind of unobtainable, highly expensive special,
high tech or vintage equipment. Because in this case and in any workshop such repair would cost more in labor than a new motor.

Reactions: JeroenD
1 - 6 of 6 Posts