Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

DUI Distributor and relayed power supply

18106 Views 20 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  ClarkWGris
Ok, I am a little baffled with this one. My jeep is an 86 CJ-7 and I installed a DUI distributor. Works great, I recommend it. Anyway, to get the full constant voltage to the distributor, I wired in a relay just as described here: Classic Inlines - DUI Distributor Installation

I basically used the main red/white ignition wire going into the ignition module as 12 volt power to activate the relay when the ignition switch comes on. I also ran a 10 guage wire from the battery to the relay to be connected to the distributor when the ignition switch is on and the relay closes. Works great, runs great, just won't cut off when I turn off the ignition switch! I don't get it. The only way I can shut off the jeep is to disconnect that main 10 guage wire from the battery. I need an electrical engineer to help me with this one.

Any suggestions?

This is my relay wiring:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are the master! I pulled the wire you said and sure enough the jeep cuts right off with the switch! Thanks for the quick response Jeephammer...it's been driving me nuts. I got the relay at Advanced Auto parts. How do you guys know this stuff? One more question. I went to radio shack and got a diode. They didn't have the 276-1443 or -1444 but the did have 276-1143 and -1144 so I got a pack of the -1144's. 3 amps- 400PIV ? sound right? Maybe the numbers were off a little....just sound too close to be wrong.

Thanks again!

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jeephammer, is there any reason this change would affect my ampmeter? I went for a test drive and let me tell ya.....it ran great. Had the kids and it was a little chilly so I cranked on the heater switch. Headlights were on too. Oil pressure seemed to flip around a little more than it ever had and then the ampmeter just went to zero and heater fan switch died. I checked fuses....all ok. Any ideas or interconnected issues with wiring in the diode? Thanks again.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just to clarify. That connection at pin 87 is dedicated to the DUI distributor only. It was kind of a generic relay diagram but that is the intention. You guys know it better than me but just wanted to throw that in there........My problem is every time I fix something another thing pops up...its killing me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.