Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Driver’s side rear axle slides…

508 Views 9 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  kiwi_outdoors
With tires off the ground, the driver’s side rear axle slides in and out about 2-3 inches. Also, this wheel can be freely rotated, while the other wheel cannot (I’m assuming neither should). Can someone tell me what could cause this and suggest what I can do to repair it? Thanks in advance!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
5,710 Posts
2-3 inches holy cow
has it been driving like this?
axle shaft c-clip. pull the cover and see. i wouldnt think the rear brakes would let it move out that much, yikes.
that much movement cant bee good for the axle seals/bearings.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ll do that and update. There is some kind of ‘stop’ preventing it from coming all the way out- Just guessing that’s the source of the metal clunk noise when it’s pulled out to the max. Yes, holy cow sums it up. 😑
*yes, I’ve been driving it like this. I was hearing a rotating grinding noise and tires wearing out fast; several mechanics couldn’t diagnose it. Found by accident, no pun intended.

· My Reality Check Bounced
20,081 Posts
Broken Axle?

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After I posted that photo, I was able to slide the axle all the way out. No c-clip found and the end of the axle appeared to be completely ground off; a large amount of metal shavings found in the oil pan. I’ll post more photos shortly. This already seems like a tricky repair, because there are so many parts involved and only a handful of those appear to be damaged. 😵‍💫

· Registered
70 Posts
Updates on the situation? I have deliberately removed my axles twice, both sides, on my KK, to replace parking brake hardware. I cannot imagine how the C-clip got loose, unless it fell out when someone was working inside the diff, and they did not notice this situation as the reasembled everything.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts