Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Door Sag Fix Failure

3810 Views 6 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  getterdun
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Condition: Driver’s door sagging. Top of rear edge down about 1 inch.

Action:
1. Bought and installed Dorman 38439 Jeep Cherokee Door Hinge Repair Kit on top hinge
- Result: Door stilled sagged. This kit’s two bushings fit inside the two car side holes in the hinge. The new hinge pin was the same size as the one removed. The door side hinge holes were also elongated, so this did not solve this issue.
2. Bought a full hinge on Ebay just for the door side of the hinge. Ground off the top of the hinge pin, removed and installed the door side of the new hinge. Did not use the whole hinge because it would have required a welder to remove the car side half of the old hinge, and to weld on the new hinge.
- Result: Door still sags, but not as much.

Conclusions:
1. After spending about 4 hours and $50, it was a waste of time.
2. The door hinges on this vehicle are poorly designed. They should be bolted to the vehicle instead of welded. That way you could replace the whole hinge without any welding.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Big Brother
4,078 Posts
Conclusions:
1. After spending about 4 hours and $50, it was a waste of time.
2. The door hinges on this vehicle are poorly designed. They should be bolted to the vehicle instead of welded. That way you could replace the whole hinge without any welding.
Is your jeep a 2dr or 4dr? The trick to not having the doors sag is people not using them to pull themselves into the jeep. I have heavier doors because mine is a 2dr and have barely even sagged.

· Registered
208 Posts
This was my top hinge. The bottom was cracked but not as bad. Drove it for ever like this. You had to pull up while slamming the door. Finally one day the door wouldn't open any more. It ended up chewing into the striker bolt. And also ended up replacing the entire latch mechanism. Finally got it welded up last winter now the door closes so smooth.

Attachments

· Registered
208 Posts
Also this was on a 94. Always thought one day I was going to try to open the door and it was going to hit the ground!

· Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A Possible Low Cost Solution

If I was starting over, here's what might work:
1) determine the largest hole size of the four holes in the top hinge
2) locate/buy a clevis pin and matching cobalt steel drill bit slightly larger than largest hole
3) drill out all four holes to new size and tap in and secure clevis pin
4) oil hinge contact points liberally, and set up reminder to oil again every six months

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.