Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched for a similar problem but did not find what I am experiencing.

I have only had my Jeep a few weeks, and when i bought it the doors opened, closed, and locked just fine. Now, the passenger door is having issues closing. Sometimes, it will latch just fine, but most of the time you slam it and the latch doesn't "catch". I have messed around with the latch itself, and sprayed wd40 on everything, but the problem is still there. The latch is black plastic and I am assuming maybe a spring or something is weak?

What's weird is that if you just keep slamming it, on the 3rd try or so it will catch.

Help?

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
I think I would take the door apart and see what is catching an causing problems

·
Registered
18 Posts
hm; not quite sure i understand what you're trying to say.. but my passenger door for my TJ is tricky as well; it wont open from the outside. the part inside the door that clicks for it to open is faulty. so idk if thats the problem you're having but i haven't found a solution for mine other than to open it from the inside for passengers and hold the key all the way to the left and pull open..

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
If you have trouble opening it then you likely have a linkage that's come loose. If you have trouble getting it to close, then you probably have something in the latch that's frozen up or sticking. If everything seems to be working properly, then it might just be a misalignment. Door latches aren't infallible...some need adjustment from time to time, I've found.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry if I didn't explain myself clearly; it is a problem closing not opening (I fix the problems opening by taking the door apart).

I think sundowner is probably right and it is misaligned. I will try to see what i can do to help "realign" it. The little black plastic thing in the door doesn't seem to line up properly with the metal latch on the frame. However, what is weird is that it will eventually latch if you just keep slamming it (which can't be good for it).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.