Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the dealership the other day and was looking to buy BFG KO2s (LT315/70/R17, C2). I have read a lot of post on this forum saying you need 2.5" lifts when going to that tire size. I asked about pricing and labor to have a lift installed and the guy asked me what model I had. I told him it was a Rubicon. He said I didn't need to lift it as the Rubicon comes with a stock 2" lift.

Is this true? Can I get away with no other lift and fit this tire in there? I have a JKU, 2016.

·
5,742 Posts
JK Rubicon, no, it does not come with a 2" lift per say. What it has is different springs, usually 18/59's or 19/60's and shocks that do let it sit higher than a stock Sport or Sahara. Still can't run 35's without a bit of work.

You will need flat or trimmed factory fenders to run 35's on a JK Rubicon but the suspension is fine. You also may have to trim the rock rail a bit.

·
Registered
366 Posts
The 10A and Recons have 1/2" taller springs.

All other Jeep models springs are dependent on Jeep's magical/mystical, tightly guarded spring formula that determines which springs they get.
To my knowledge no one has figured it out.

If your salesman is that oblivious I suggest you find a new one :D

On another note I know people that run a 315 with no lift. And they mess up their fenders when going over anything more than a bump LOL
2.5" lift does well for 35s, or maybe a level kit and flat fenders. Lots of good options out there.

Good luck :thumbsup:

·
Accidental Obfuscator
8,070 Posts
The ground clearance performance as always been stock, plus1.5", plus 2" (sport sahara rubi) and sold as such. Its not a lift kit spec - its a performance spec (along with departure etc).
Not a clueless salesman - just not a gearhead.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Thanks for all the input. Guess I'll be waiting a little longer to upgrade the tires to account for the cost of the lift as well.
A basic solid lift really isn't that expensive if you do the work yourself. It will certainly be expensive if you have the stealership install it for you, but you can do it yourself in your garage. I don't know what you're counting on in terms of cost, but you can get a quality 2.5" coil lift for around $750+/-. Have someone install it for you and the cost will probably double.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unfortunately, while I just recently bought a house and now have a garage, I don't have the tools to do any real work on the Jeep. It would cost me as much to get set up as to pay for it to be done. That aside, I don't have much experience working on cars either. I do have mechanical aptitude but have no more experience than what I received during my 4 years of high school auto shop. I'm sure jobs would take me 4x longer just figuring stuff out as I go. This is my DD, so it can't be out of commission for long.

I do know that the dealership was charging $1600 for the lift without labor factored in. This was for a 2.5" lift with Fox shock. Not sure if the lift was Terraflex or what. A local shop was charging me about $1200 for a 2.5" Terraflex lift, I forget which shocks. I think they wanted $1600 total with labor factored in.

·
Registered
120 Posts
If you do decide to try it, a lot of auto parts stores will loan you spring compressors. Given that all you need is jack stands and some pretty standard tools.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Come on, Crypsis. You can do it. It's really not that hard, and you can even find some instructional videos on YouTube. Plus, you'll have the satisfaction of having done the work yourself along with saving some money.

·
5,742 Posts
A basic metric tool set from Harbor Freight, a set of floor stands and a torque wrench is really all you need for tools. Gear wrenches are also helpful.

You don't need a spring compressor for this either.

A 2.5" lift can be done on a Saturday

·
Premium Member
5,286 Posts
According to the factory JK curb height charts, it's possible for a Sport/Sahara to be higher than a Rubicon, while both vehicles remain within the factory curb height tolerances.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I installed my 2.5" lift in a few hours in my garage with a pretty basic tool set.

I pieced my lift together with parts from various different companies and it all cost me around $600-$700.
You can buy complete (or nearly complete) kits for not much more than that. (springs, shocks, brake line extensions, longer rear sway bar links)

Read some guidelines online, read the instructions that come with your parts, and watch a few youtube videos, offer a buddy some drinks (I did mine alone, but an extra set of hands helps) and you should be able to do it no sweat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.