Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd start a thread about what I have found out about the 98-04 Dodge Durango/Dakota 242 D (HD) & 231 D (HD) Transfer Case to keep info in one place.

Thought it might be helpful for those trying to find a 242 HD since the Jeep 242 HD is scarce and the Dodge ones are more common and usually cheaper.

231 D is in second post.

I have included some pics too.

First it looks exactly like a Jeep 242 HD (V8).

Has aluminum tail cone, 32 spline rear output shaft, electrical connector on top and shift lever on side.

The only thing I couldn't find while looking at the JY was the input shaft length and chain size.

But while I was at a pic m pull in Oregon I found one pulled and it had a short input shaft like a Jeep 242 LD (I6).

Also found specs on the Dodge 242 D (HD).

This is a New Transfer Case Chain for a Dodge Np 242/244
Fits 1998-2004 Durango's with Full Time NP242 or NP244 Transfer Case

HV072

OE Supplier Borg Warner/Morse

1.25" wide 98 pitches 49 Links

The Jeep 242 HD (V8) specs..

EVO 242 4.7 (00-03) pn 05003453AA

Type: NP 242, 244

Number of links: 49

Width: 1-1/4"

Dodge 242 D pics.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I pulled a 231 from a 99 Durango to rebuild and put in my YJ. I can tell you that it does have the wide chain, but does not have a 6 pinion planetary. It also does not have a syncro for shifting.

·
Banned
3,268 Posts
IIRC only chevy 231s have the 6 pinion planetary. Dodge cases are rumored to have the 6 pinion, i havent opened one up to find out but there are plenty of threads around from dissappointed people who have.

Do jeep t cases have a synchro for shifting? Sure cant tell lol

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
So am I correct in understanding that the Dakota/Darango 242 will work in a wj if you replace the driveshaft with a longer/different spline count one? Does the input shaft work or does it need to be swapped as well

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If its going in your 4.7 WJ you will need to swap the input shaft out of your current case and get the 32 spline rear drive shaft (Dodge 242 has 32 spline). I dont know if the Dodge 242 rear drive shaft is the right length or not. But you could get the shaft and have it made shorter or longer or it might be just right as is.

·
Banned
3,268 Posts
As far as driveshaft, i had the idea of swapping just the 32 spline slip yoke from the dodge driveshaft onto the jeep driveshaft. I havent verified if the u joints are the same or not. For me the stock driveshaft would be the perfect length, but my zj is far from stock

·
Banned
3,268 Posts
I seem to remember someone on here swapped the ends of the DS and it worked. I'll look for it. Easiest way to check I guess is to see if the joint is the sale.

I'd like to swap a 231HD with the speedo on the tail cone in mine when I do the axle swaps.
You can install a 231j sye, which has a speedo gear in the tail cone, onto a 231d Hd.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I built a 231J from a 2003 Liberty (JY sells them dirt cheap because it's from a Liberty) and added a wide chain, 6 pinion planetary, and SYE. Link to pics here. It's my understanding that the wide chain and 6 pinion planetary are from a 241D. I had to swap in a long input to mate it to my V8 trans. Anyway, don't want to muck up your thread too much. Just thought my pics may help for reference.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
No problem. The more info the better for fellow Jeepers.

Wonder if the six gear would fit in a 242 HD.
I believe they will, the planet case the pinion gears have the same case number stamp on them in the 247, 242, 241DLD and 231D out of a Dodge 1500 that I have disassembled this 231D (1500 PU) has the wide chain and 3 pinion planet. The difference is some of the planet cases have 3 pinions and three indentations where the other three pinions would go but the holes are not drilled. I have a 241DLD disassembled the planet gear case in it has 4 pinions BUT the other 2 holes are drilled so it looks like it is possible to install the other two pinions to make it a six pinion.

I removed the pinions from a 3 pinion planet, the little shafts punch out easy they just have small stake marks holding it in place. Inside the individual pinion gears there is two sets of loose needles, three little spacer rings and two thrust washers. I haven't got around to trying to install the pinions in the 4 pinion Dodge planet.

One thing I noticed when I went to install a WJ V/8 long input in the 231D was the dodge input had a wide bearing but the WJ input shaft has a shoulder so it needs a different (narrow) bearing. The OD of both bearings is the same so that is not a problem either will press into the Dodge case.

One note on the late model 241DLD T cases. They go for next to nothing so I bought one to see if I could swap in a WJ V/8 input and install it in my WJ. When it arrived I noticed the front output was a long splined shaft. It turns out at some point Dodge 1500 front drivelines used a 30 spline slip joint at the T case. I am not sure if any other front output shafts from other models of 241s will swap in. The other issue is the T case main shaft has a larger diameter front pilot so it is impossible to swap in a Jeep input shaft.

gcJeeping if the 241 info is inappropriate in this thread PM me I will delete it. I really appreciate the work you are doing here.

·
Banned
3,268 Posts
I built a 231J from a 2003 Liberty (JY sells them dirt cheap because it's from a Liberty) and added a wide chain, 6 pinion planetary, and SYE. Link to pics here. It's my understanding that the wide chain and 6 pinion planetary are from a 241D. I had to swap in a long input to mate it to my V8 trans. Anyway, don't want to muck up your thread too much. Just thought my pics may help for reference.
231c have the 6 pinion planetary stock. That's from research I have done.

231D HD has 3 pinion and wide chain. I know because I split mine open to install a jeep mainshaft and Tailcone.

In all the threads I could find online about 6 pinion planetaries, 231c and possibly 241c have them. Many disappointed people bought dodge cases for the planetaries only to find they have only 3 pinions. My 97 Dakota tcase confirmed it

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I'm doing this exact swap right now have a 99 Durango 242D case going in to replace my WJ 242 case behind 4.7 engine. The only thing that seems to be needed in this case is to swap out the input from the WJ case to the Durango case as they have a completely different length. The bearing for such is also different, I ordered a durango rebuild kit so i have the wrong one and I'm stuck waiting on a swap out piece at the moment. The rest is all bolt on. If you were doing a 242 swap for 247 you would need to do the same imput swap plus deal with the different rear DS length.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Hey Guys,
i just read your research on the 242D last year.
Do you know if the 242D fit in a WJ V8 without big modifications?
My NV 247 just exploded a few days ago when i drove home after a hard day :/
If the 242D that you find is in decent shape and you just want to do the minimum work to make it Jeep WJ V/8 compatible. All you have to do is swap the input shaft and input shaft bearing from your 247 into the 242D. The same applies to 231Ds out of Dodge pickups. Of course seals are not expensive so if you feel like it you could replace them. IMO there is no need to replace perfectly good bearings.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts